How To Wheelie Vfr 800

Guest Ilan

Hi

is it possible to make a power wheelie with vfr 800 ?
and if not , should i try to wheelie with second gear ?
thanks
ilan

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

well lets just say the VFR is NOT the bike to learn how to wheelie on. unless you have money to throw away..

do yourself a favor and buy a stripped cbr/gixxer/ninja and learn to wheelie on the cheap.

then if you want to show off on the vfr you can do so :beer:

• Member Contributer

Wheelies are juvenille and immature. With that being said I can't believe I still do them at the age of 40 LOL!!! I grew up on 2 stroke dirt bikes so it just seems to happen every so often.

Rollin

• Member Contributer

Yes, No

can you give more details ?

no details! we dont want you to wreck and kill yourself on a 500 lb bike...

any bike can be made to wheelie. if you dont know how.. for the love of god get a smaller lighter bike to practice with.

Goldwing-wheelie_zps5eb7b0ba.jpg

Hi

is it possible to make a power wheelie with vfr 800 ?

and if not , should i try to wheelie with second gear ?

thanks

ilan

Yes it is possible to power wheelie in 1st gear. I've done it twice by accident because I wasn't paying attention to what gear I was in during my first season. Seriously, it was not intended. I haven't tried to clutch it but have no intentions of it with this bike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In all seriousness though, I find that what works best for me is rolling on the throttle in first right below vtec, and I get a nice predictable rise as the other two valves come on. Or clutching up in second at around 40 mph also nets a nice predictable rise that's easy to modulate.

I would avoid pogoing the forks to come up, as that can be abrupt and unpredictable. ie dangerous. Or more dangerous...

• Member Contributer

Some very special bikes came with a wheelie button next to the turn signal, super secret limited addition. Seb has one :goofy:

Few weeks ago I was on the way to work, I crossed one road to go play on another for just a minute and at my surprise, the VFR pulled the front end off the ground with nothing more than just getting on the throttle! I have only had a chance to put a couple hundred miles on mine since I got it so it was the first time she had done that. I was not really expecting it from something of its size.

I know my Dad will pull the front end off the ground with his big BMW1200GT without even thinking about it.

Guest Recalcitrance

I've lifted the front a few times by accident when taking off from a red. Learn on a lighter bike and for God's sake, don't do them on the street. Motorcyclists have a bad enough stigma against them as it is. Please don't add to it.

• Member Contributer

Or, find someone that will sell you their Torocharger - you'll have a hard time not doing wheelies. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Rolling first gear wheelie. Roll on to speed. Chop the throttle and brake a bit to dive the front end. Release the brakes and throttle it with your weight back. More of a snap wheelie tban a power wheelie. I haven't tried it yet but sounds like it will work. I've clutch wheelies mine a few times but failed to impress myself.

Yz426f is my wheelie machine.

• Member Contributer

Have a wheelie nice day... I did back in the 70s... cost me my bike...
a flat spot on my butt... and almost my USAF career... how
dare I damaged their property... but all in all I learned to get it up
and keep it up which I still enjoy today even though I'm 65 ... it
just don't come easy on Mr.RC45 with a tall first gear good for 90mph...

Warning grahpic pic... maybe NSFW... my 1972 wheelie crash on a 350 Kawasaki Big Horn...
http://home.comcast.net/~netters2/pics11-3-03/bigimages/WheelieCrash.JPG

I love to wheelie... here's my ins and outs of getting it up...

There are two basic ways to go for wheelie stardom... by throttle
only-if your bike has the power or by a combination of throttle and
clutch like on a little EX500...

Hold the left grip with your little ring finger plus thumb... leaving
the other two digits free to fan the clutch... Now blip the throttle
hard and dump the clutch as the revs peak... As you dump the clutch
and I mean dump it... tug upwards on the bars and throw your body
back... Don't worry if you only do pathetic bunny hops... that's as
good as its gets for the first few attempts...

If it comes up too far just give it a bit less throttle and move your
body forward... If it's pure panic close the throttle and pull in the
clutch...

Wheelie kings use the back brake to bring it down... but don't worry
about that trick starting out... You won't learn to wheelie over
night... so get out there and pop the front wheel...

As practice rewards with more air time and distances increase looping
is a novices biggest worry... I still carry scars on my butt and back
from my first loop... and there has been others...

When customers ask if wheelies will damage their bikes my reply is
this... If a rider keeps the landing within the range of spring of the
suspension there is no damage that can result... damages comes if the
spring bottoms out on the suspension... when you bottom out the
suspension there is a sharp metallic sound follow by a feeling of less
control... basically during the landing of a wheelie the energy is
absorb in the springs and dampening fluid... but if the spring bottoms
the energy goes from wheel to the forks and then to frame which
destabilizes the geometry... damage may occur at this point... doing
wheelies one must check their suspension rates...

• Member Contributer

In all seriousness though, I find that what works best for me is rolling on the throttle in first right below vtec, and I get a nice predictable rise as the other two valves come on. Or clutching up in second at around 40 mph also nets a nice predictable rise that's easy to modulate.

You may want to let the OP know you are using different sprocket ratios than stock... they may get frustrated if not seeing the results :cool:

I can wheelie, but don't like it. I don't like feeling like I am out of control with the bike. That said, coming out of a corner hard and have the front end come up does NOT bother me in the slightest.

I'm just running a 1 down up front, no big deal, but you are right, stock gearing probably would require more throttle.

they wheelie off the throttle easy in first gear. my 5th gen with stock gearing will come up in first off throttle alone to near balance point if you sit up as straight as possible and just whack open the throttle at 5000-6000rpm with a little pull up on the bars. more controllable wheelies are easier if you clutch up in first at a lower speed like 30-40kph. To clutch up in second gear requires quite a bit more abuse but it will do it or if you find a slight rise or bump in the road when you are in second gear at around 50kph just clutch it up with more revs. obviously if you lower the gearing it makes it much easier. vfr's are pretty decent at wheelies, so much so that 4 months ago I got fined in Sydney Australia $405, neg driving and lost 3 points of my license for being caught. Unfortunately it wasn't the first time so I think i'll have to look over my shoulder a bit more next time.

Archived