5Th Gen - Why Not Complete Cbr 954 Front End Swap?

Pumee

Hello!

I was looking all around the forum to find any thread about the complete front end swap to a CBR 954 on a 5th gen...without success...

I have now the opportunity the get a complete front end from a CBR 954 for a quite good price, inculding front wheel, both triples and brakes.

The RC51 front end is almost impossible to get here, and the prices are sky high...so thats why I'm asking.

What I did find though:

-Wheel mismatch (I dont care much about it, as I would also change the wheel, and the brake disc is covering a lot...and my wheels gonna be white which also helps a bit.)

-Helibar problems due to size mismatch (I have touring handlebars, so also not a problem, I know I will have to make some machining.)

-According to an excel chart which I recently find on the forum, the CBR has 724mm fork length, and the RC51 is 730mm which I also find here.

So I guess length should not be a problem, if i use the wing shaped upper triple.

What else than? Are there any disadvantages?

I have also read that the RC51 and the R1 quality is better, but as I have said before, the prices are horror...

Please help me out in this case as I have limited time for this good offer.

Many Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Pumee

Welcome Pumee!

Nothing to stop you - yes the forks are a tad shorter than VFR and SP1 forks, but there's plenty of people happily running CBR front ends on VFRs. You will have to work out clearance issues - bump stops, fairing clearance etc. - but that's the case for any USD swap.

Regarding quality - the R1 front ends aren't at the same level of quality - or strength - as any of the Honda front ends.

• Member Contributer

Welcome Pumee. First order of business . . . we need some photos! The white 5th gen in your avatar looks very 3rd gen 1993ish - we'd love to see more.

Have you considered buying overseas? I did a quick ebay search for RC51 forks and there's a complete set, for $150 US listed now. I've bought parts out of the UK and had them shipped to the US. The shipping isn't cheap, but it could end up cheaper than buying what you're looking for at home. There could be duties or tariffs though, so good to check on that first. Just a thought . . .

Hey Guys!

Thanks a lot for the quick info!

So first things first, here are the pics. (Btw, I was expecting that :rolleyes: )

post-21379-0-75487900-1394269843.jpg

post-21379-0-16456600-1394269907.jpg

post-21379-0-85005500-1394269948.jpg

I usually ride with my fiance, and last summer we crashed a bit, nothing serious, but the fairings look quite bad, so the whole bike now is under construction...

The basic concept will be the same as the one you can see on the pics with a few mod in the VFR decal.

Now back to bussiness ;)

I already have these raisers and handlebars, as Veefer800Canuck said, but my pics are a bit oldish, therefore you can't see them.

Also my first thing was to check out ebay and overseas, but the shipment prices makes the whole thing very expensive.

Here's a fun fact:

If you buy something abroad from Hungary, then you have to pay some customs fee, thats okay few percent. But than you have to pay tax for the whole thing, the price you bught the item for + shipment + customs fee. Than multiply the whole thing by 1,27. Nice huh?

For the first time I wanted to re-valve my old forks. But the whole price was 50% more...And our economy is not at the top these days, so the exchange rates are also very high :(

Okay, enough said :goofy:

As The Phantom said:

"You will have to work out clearance issues - bump stops, fairing clearance"

bump stops are okay i saw them how it should be.

What fairing clearence issues can I run into?

And one last thing, just to check if I did get everything right form last nights readings:

So if I mount the whole thing together, (talking about the triples part) there shouldn't be clearence issues?! Or do I need some spacers there?

Thanks again!

I'll try to keep you guys updated!

Regards,

Pumee

If you buy a 954 complete front & happy with the 3 spoke wheel then it is a simple bolt on job except for the bars. You will need to use bars that mount under the top triple due to length of forks there is no other way as there simply wont be enough fork length even through gull wing top 954 triple to safely mount above. You need to find what will work there are converibars for example or do a conversion like Veefer800Canuck posted. I use more or less same length forks CBR1000RR & no way with fork length to achieve decent front ride height can bars mount above top triple. I would also look into an F4i master cylinder which matches VFR & is correct size for 954 callipers.

• Like 1

If you buy a 954 complete front & happy with the 3 spoke wheel then it is a simple bolt on job except for the bars. You will need to use bars that mount under the top triple due to length of forks there is no other way as there simply wont be enough fork length even through gull wing top 954 triple to safely mount above. You need to find what will work there are converibars for example or do a conversion like Veefer800Canuck posted. I use more or less same length forks CBR1000RR & no way with fork length to achieve decent front ride height can bars mount above top triple. I would also look into an F4i master cylinder which matches VFR & is correct size for 954 callipers.

Hey ZRoyz!

Thanks for the info!

As I have said before i already own a touring handlebar, so no need for helibars or converters. But I guess I have to think twice how I could mount them to the gull wing triple...

EDIT: I just talked with my mechanic friend and he has an adapter for it! So the project is on the GO!! :wheel::biggrin: Jeez I'm so excited! :tour:

Good to hear that its only a bolt-on job. I've been maintaining my bikes for like 15 years, and I guess I have the tools and knowledge to do it all by my self.

As for the brake master cylinder, I decided to go with an R6 one, it was also a good bargin, and as I'm customizing quite hard, I dont care anymore if it does not match the factory design.

For the wheels, I'm not saying that I'm gonna be fully happy with the 3 spoke, as I just bought an 8 spoke for the rear, but looking all the pics on the net of 3 spoke, the brake disc rotor is so big, that it covers most of them. And it is going to be white, which will make it even less visible. So I guess it should be just fine.

I bought this on ebay, for a ridiculous price.

Than I marked it with our laser in the office, I guess it wont look bad :cool:

post-21379-0-90016800-1394287675.jpg

cheers,

Pumee

Edited by Pumee

Nice work on the filler cap!

You will need a solution for the rear brakes.

CBR600 F4i rear master cylinder, and hook up all 3 rear pistons on the VFR to the CBR master cylinder, after removing all the LBS plumbing and proportioning valve.

What's wrong with the R1 forks quality? :(

They are not made by Honda :beer:

My 2004 R1 front end looked nice and straight when it arrived (all the way from San Diego) but the uppers were so tweaked from a crash that they were junk. Crash a Honda with USD and the forks will take a hell of a beating; crash a Yamaha or Suzuki and chances are it's new forks time. Sad but true. Kawasaki makes pretty strong forks. I ended up keeping the R1 lowers with ZX-10R uppers (modified by our tame suspension guru). Gained an extra 10mm in overall fork length as well :fing02:

Hello All!

As promised, I give some feedback.

All the units have arrived, now they went for some repairs and paintjob.

Hope to get the whol thing together next weekend or so...

Cheers,

Pumee

Lol Honda Kawasaki Suzuki Yamaha etc don't make forks. The forks are made by Showa or Kayaba etc...

Yep, to manufacturers spec. R1 forks are far lighter than Fireblade forks, that makes them weaker and more prone to damage in a crash.

• Member Contributer

Hello All!

As promised, I give some feedback.

All the units have arrived, now they went for some repairs and paintjob.

Hope to get the whol thing together next weekend or so...

Cheers,

Pumee

Sweet !!!!

CBR600 F4i rear master cylinder, and hook up all 3 rear pistons on the VFR to the CBR master cylinder, after removing all the LBS plumbing and proportioning valve.

Hi,

Thanks for that!

We have here another solution which worked for us quite well.

The only thing, that after this mod there's no turning back to CBS anymore. (Only by repalcing the calipper itself...)

You have to blind plug the thread on the brake caliper which goes to the front, hook up the system with one tube, and drill a small hole inside the brake calipper between the small and the big pistons, so that the oil can move all 3 together.

Fast and easy...

BTW:

The forks are complete, I have mounted them already. I have to make some stoppers. Painit job will be ready today, hopefully.

Next week some parts from davidsilver arrives and than I can begin to put the whole thing together.

I'll keep you guys updated, and will make some pictures during the "operation".

BR,

Pumee

Edited by Pumee

• 2 months later...

So what happened with your conversion? I am thinking of doing the same conversion.

UPDATE from me anyway ;) rather than start a new thread I thought I might as well post my complete CBR954 front end swap on this one - same topic and model. If the original poster is not happy with that then I will remove my post and move to a new thread.

So today I paid a deposit for a complete CBR954 front end - as luck would have it with a blue front fender - so hope that matches the VFR800 Gen 5 Blue. Here in New Zealand these type of modification need to checked by a certifying engineering. So the first step was to contact one of the approved motorcycle engineers here in Auckland. I gave him the run down on the front end conversion and what likely needs to be modified on the triple clamps ie turn stops etc. So I have been given the go ahead from him and he just want to see the install once it is complete and ready for the road again.

As I have another project to complete this winter so I will enlist the help of my retired father who is looking for a project to do in the shed - well have I got a deal for him ;) - I will pickup another frame so he can dummy things up in that while I still have the bike on the road. Once ready we will do the swap over - I might even do the CBR954 rear shock conversion at the same time.

So I just need to source a few more parts - ie MCs for the delink that will be required after this conversion and once I get more $$ a CBR929 rear shock and convertibars.

Edited by nzeder

• 4 months later...

That looks so nice. The white with a little bit of understated red trim and graphics looks perfect.

In addition to mellodude's windshield question, I was wondering who makes those hand grips you've got on there?

A set like that came on my CBR and I find the "fat" style really comfy. I'd like a set for my VFR, but don't know what brand they are.

Super job! --- Curious - what windshield is that?

Thanks for the nice feedback guys! Really appreciate it!

Thats the MRA racing.

That looks so nice. The white with a little bit of understated red trim and graphics looks perfect.

In addition to mellodude's windshield question, I was wondering who makes those hand grips you've got on there?

A set like that came on my CBR and I find the "fat" style really comfy. I'd like a set for my VFR, but don't know what brand they are.

I have no idea Mate, I bought the bike with those grips. But its not "fat", I think...Maybe the pics tricks you. At least I dont feel like that ;)

Edited by Pumee