6Th Gen 120/60 Front Tire?

RocketMonkey

Hi there!

Has anyone tried a 120/60 front tire (instead if the stock 120/70)?

I ride on Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interacts. I love the swoopy feel the rounded-profile tyres give me, however, I'd like the bike to swoop a little more quickly. My last three bikes (R6, F2, FZR 600) all had Metzeler (M3 or Racetec) 120/60 front tyres on them and cornered wonderfully.

My idea is that the /60 profile will make the bike more flickable than the /70 series tyre because the shorter tyre will slightly alter the steering geometery making the front end feel lighter; thus, swooping more quicker or feeling lighter if you will.

Does anyone have some words of wisdom about this subject matter?

Smiles,

~e

The 60 profile will have same effect as when you raise forks through triple clamps to quicken the steering, the only way to know if your going to like them is try them. I don't feel you will like it if your rear tyre is a touring profile as the different profiles could counter the feel your after. I normally run the Metzeler M5 but at times fit a racetech K3 front which I really like it's just I wear them out a little quick but there a great feeling tyre for what you seem to be after a real turn in swooping feel.

Also the Metzeler racetech only comes in a 120/70 front from memory, the M3 you can get 120/60.

Found a good deal online on a Pirelli Angel ST front that matched the one on the rear and couldn't pass it up. BAM! I hit the button and ordered it. Got it 3 days later to find out I had ordered a 120/60. :mad: I had already agreed to a group ride the next day and desperately needed a front so . . . I mounted it. It did feel lighter on its feet. I may stick with this combo.

• Member Contributer

I'm confused with your thinking here, guys. The "60" or "70" is the aspect ratio. A 60 would be shorter than the 70 (so yes having a similar effect as raising the forks), and therefore provide a flatter surface and less sidewall for cornering. I would think turn-in would be slower and there would be slightly less surface area for grip when cornering.

I'd be inclined to stick with the OEM size and buy the type of tires that are right for your style of riding.