Safest Way To Fill Up A Motorcycle With Gas?

HispanicSlammer

• Member Contributer

Motorcyclist April 2014 page 69. If this is against policy, please delete.

9f301ca7-2254-4473-9974-b3ab41ce334c.jpg

• Member Contributer

I never get off the bike, I have a credit card in the tank bag so I'm not taking gloves or helmet off either. Don't want to waste time at a station, probably one of my biggest pet peeves when riding with others.

Me too, never even take off the gloves, do you know how many germs are on those pump handles? I can fill and go in under 2 minutes.

It is a good reminder though about the static build up, something to watch out for - but I have been assuming the 2 feet down grounds me.

Me too, never even take off the gloves, do you know how many germs are on those pump handles?

Germs? I'm pretty sure the cart handles at the grocery store have more, and I never worry about those. :unsure:

But I didn't grow up as a boy in a bubble.We ate dirt now and then, and everything that comes in it.

I seem to have this thing called an immune system now. Works pretty good. There might be a correlation :goofy: .

• Member Contributer
Me too, never even take off the gloves, do you know how many germs are on those pump handles?

Germs? I'm pretty sure the cart handles at the grocery store have more, and I never worry about those. :unsure:

But I didn't grow up as a boy in a bubble.We ate dirt now and then, and everything that comes in it.

I seem to have this thing called an immune system now. Works pretty good. There might be a correlation :goofy: .

The dirt I ate growing up was most likely cleaner than I was. :goofy:

I shudder when I see people filling tanks while sitting on the bike. The risk of a fuel spill onto hot engine parts is just too much of a chance to take, IMO...

Last summer I was in my shed working on my Seca2. Carbs off-carbs on-carbs off. Must have had a tad too much gas sitting on top of the engine. Needless to say, I caught it on fire. I Yelled FIRE, FIRE and grabbed my fire extiguisher. PPPPFT- nothing. So my wife came over as I ran around in circles. As I looked for the garden hose, my sons formed a bucket brigade with soup bowls.

I should have let that turd burn, but the soup method got it under control until the hose arrived from my wife.

• Member Contributer

I shudder when I see people filling tanks while sitting on the bike. The risk of a fuel spill onto hot engine parts is just too much of a chance to take, IMO...

it just boils off.

seriously..

i cant tell you how many old bike i have worked on that have had a leak gas line or a bad gasket. .

makes me quote Shakespeare every time.

• Member Contributer

I should have added the smiley, "do you know how many germs are on those pump handles? :goofy: "

it just boils off.

seriously..

i cant tell you how many old bike i have worked on that have had a leak gas line or a bad gasket. .

makes me quote Shakespeare every time.

And a burning cigarette isn't hot enough to ignite gas vapors either. You need to be inhaling to get it over the flash point.

I had a cracked fuel hose once and fuel was dripping on the rear header. Gasoline doesn't ignite that easy.

gallery_5310_4809_22133.jpg

On longer trips, when I gas up I put the bike on the centerstand so I can at the same time stretch my legs a bit. Otherwise I stay on the bike when possible, not all gas pumps are equiped with a credit card terminal.

Gasoline doesn't ignite that easy.

Maybe not, but the vapor ignites easier.

If a fire does start due to say, you crashed and caused a leak, it does not put out easy at all.

Your bike will probably burn to the ground in that case, from what I have seen. :goofy:

I hear you guys, and believe it, but urghhhh I don't mind going out in a ball of fire following a 150mph crash, but just standing around in a petrol station... no thanks :)

I would like to know how all these people get gas all over their junk while filling up? The few times I over filled while topping off it poured down the overfill/ water drain hole by the cap and safely out the rubber hose at the bottom without exploding or getting all over my junk.

I also put the side stand down but stay on the bike holding it upright most of the time. gloves off for better control of my wallet and if need be my Sig P250sc

• Member Contributer

Many of the bikes I've owned didn't have the new-fangled overflow/water drain hole. Including the one that cause me to wet myself.

Don't forget "If you make something idiot proof, someone will invent a better idiot".

Crakerjack et. al.

You may not be grounding by stepping out of the cab/car onto pavement. It's one of a few reasons most of the static charge car fires are caused by women. It begins with wanting to stay out of the weather, so they/we get back in the car. Clothing many women wear (multiple fabric types, layers and long coats), will generate a greater static charge. To ground yourself it's best to grab, bare handed, some bare metal, but not near the nozzle, tank fill. It's also best to not block the fuel trigger open or use the spring latch to hold the nozzle open. Many states don't allow spring loaded latches any longer. An accompanying video showed a blocked nozzle. When the fuel clicked off the cap jammed, fuel began to spill. The woman jumped out of her car and boom! Good fortune, R3~

Here, in Austria, some Gas Stations require you, to get off your bike, for filling it up.
Cause, you already mentioned, .... crotch flame thrower and stuff.
Personally, I do get off the bike for refilling, and put it on the center stand. First, I have to get off, to pay anyways, and second reason is, that I get more gas in the tank this way. Put it on the center stand, refill, hold the front brake, ans shake gently, .... so, you shake the air out of the tank, and you get more fuel inside, .... more fuel = longer rides, ... :)

• Member Contributer

I never get off the bike, I have a credit card in the tank bag so I'm not taking gloves or helmet off either. Don't want to waste time at a station, probably one of my biggest pet peeves when riding with others.

Me too, never even take off the gloves, do you know how many germs are on those pump handles? I can fill and go in under 2 minutes.

It is a good reminder though about the static build up, something to watch out for - but I have been assuming the 2 feet down grounds me.

I refuel seated on the bike also. Although I did have a puckering moment while filling up a couple years ago. I had just started the pump and for some reason I decided to adjust my footing. Problem was that I didn't notice the spilled diesel beneath me. When I repositioned my foot it slid straight out to the side. Luckily I saved the bike from tipping over but for a moment there I envisioned myself and the bike going over with an open gas tank and pump still running.

• Member Contributer

That sounds like an Oh God moment Dutch! I've been fueling up while on the bike for a long time...may need to rethink it after reading all this. I'm basically an impatient ass...

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

I refuel seated on the bike also. Although I did have a puckering moment while filling up a couple years ago. I had just started the pump and for some reason I decided to adjust my footing. Problem was that I didn't notice the spilled diesel beneath me. When I repositioned my foot it slid straight out to the side. Luckily I saved the bike from tipping over but for a moment there I envisioned myself and the bike going over with an open gas tank and pump still running.

Good thing you avoided the excitement. :ohmy:

Put it on the side or center stand, then pump.

Thinking how this might apply to the wife. :rolleyes::laugh:

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

My Two Cents,

I usually fuel while sitting on bike, engine off. My tip is to keep your visor down as gas in the eyes really sucks.

Only time I have gas crotch was when I was doing wheelies on my RD350 with an ill fitting cap and 40 year old fuel cap rubber.

I have seen a carb'd bonneville burn to the ground after a crash do to overflowing carbs and hot exhaust have pics to prove and a few members who were on the scene. Dave came out bikeless and bruised but mostly unhurt.

Finally fuel how ever you feel comfortable.

Andrew

• Member Contributer

With the VFR I always get off and put it on the side stand. I guess I just dont want to think about balancing the bike and dealing with my wallet and the pump and stuff.

I do however, sometimes fill my dirtbike tank while its in the back of my pickup. I'm in there too. I never really thought about it (and me) not being grounded. Isn't that what everybody does? What can you do, throw out a grounding strap while you fill it?

Archived