Safest Way To Fill Up A Motorcycle With Gas?

HispanicSlammer

• Forum CEO

I was watching a show on TV, a sort of "what should you do" quiz show about how to react to emergency situations. It goes like this..

A guy needs to fill up his metal gas can, he is standing in the back of his pickup truck but instead of putting the can on the ground (literally grounding the can) he jumped in the bed and filled it up inside the bed of the truck. A static charge ignites the fumes in the can and he catches fire, kicks over the can and spreads fuel all over the back of the truck. Then they give you three scenarios to save the guys life.

1) toss the container of window wash over the victim - BUUZZZZ nope wrong it has alcohol in it makes it worse

2) take off your jacket and beat the flames out - BUUZZZ nope wrong too fanning the flames makes it worse and most jackets are made of polyester which will melt and get all over the victim

3) have the victim roll on the ground and find something heavy to cover him with - smothering the flame

I thought why not just get the fire extinguisher? I mean its more likely a fire extinguisher will be available at a random gas station then the blanket they showed in the CGI graphic? Stupid show!

---

But then I started to think about a certain friend of mine who always sits on his bike and fills it up while sitting on it, never puts down the kick stand. What if that happened to him? What if a spark ignited the tank and he ends up with a flame thrower essentially pointed at his crotch? Whats he going to do? Jump off the bike thats what! Then the bike falls over spills gas all over and we are in the same situation? I always cringe seeing him do that.

Then I start asking myself ok what is the safest way to fill a motorcycle? Or any vehicle for that matter. Most cars have the gas port on the drivers side and they have to stand between the pump and the car. I live about 3 blocks away from a 7-11 convenience store where a young woman was filling up her SUV when a drunk driver missed the wide upen space to the parking lot, plowed into her car and pinned her between the pump and the SUV and it caught fire - she burned to death in 30 seconds. It was all over the news and the black burn marks are still on the pavement, so maybe stand a bit away from the pump and the bike so you dont get pinned of some dumbass hits you?

What do you folks think?

Regardless of where one stands at the gas station, I NEVER have my back to the open space. No danger is going to come from the pump. I also stand while gassing up because you cannot defend yourself from the seat of the bike, you will just get pushed over.

• Member Contributer

Safest way (for me)

mmmmmhhh.......

Let her put in the gas??

LINDSAY-LOHAN-Leggy-Candids-at-Gas-Stati

Or

309810_269458323100899_234798379900227_7

Hmm, interesting question. When filling a vehilce, I always have my back to the pump like TImmy. I'm normally looking around and keeping up my situation awareness. When filling the bike though, I remain seated on it with it in an upright position. I do normally put the kickstand down though.........maybe habit? Or maybe because after I fill up, I put it down on the stand to put my gloves, etc. back on? Guess I've been doing it like that for so long, I don't even think about it anymore. I've always thought by having it in the upright position, you get more fuel in the tank. I'll have to pay attention more to what I do next time I fill up on the bike.

• Member Contributer

I also seem to get off when I fill up, but it's been more for the reason to stretch , then safety. Good awareness heads up. Now with GMA saying that Smart phone theft is a major threat , I have to find a way to mount a baseball bat on the darn bike. ;)

I also seem to get off when I fill up, but it's been more for the reason to stretch , then safety. Good awareness heads up. Now with GMA saying that Smart phone theft is a major threat , I have to find a way to mount a baseball bat on the darn bike. ;)

Just keep a Glock 36 handy. It is much smaller. :cool:

I've tried filling my tank while sitting on the bike, but I usually wind up overfilling the tank and spilling gas everywhere... You only need to do this a couple dozen times before you learn your lesson.

When I'm filling up the truck, it's either raining or cold as snot out. So while the truck is filling up, I'm usually sitting in the cab. I figure if I ground myself before touching the gas nozzle, I should be fine... right?

You ground the bike from static electricity when you put your foot down. I always put the bike on the centerstand to fill up. Its more stable and you get the tank tiny bit more full.

As with anything these days pay attention to your surroundings.

• Member Contributer

I put mine on center stand to fill up. Or on the side stand if I'm lazy.

Also use the opportunity to stretch and walk off knees and butt discomforts.

Good headsup. Thanks for posing.

• Member Contributer

I do it the same every time. Bike on center stand a bit further out frpm the pump than most people park, me between the bike and pumps - obviously facing the bike but always scanning the area for whatever may be going on.....mostly looking at the women.

I'm mostly just OCD about situational awareness. I am always facing outward no matter where I am. My family members all know that when we go out to a restaurant, I get the seat facing the doorway. I just want to know who is coming in and what they are doing.

• Member Contributer

I never get off the bike, I have a credit card in the tank bag so I'm not taking gloves or helmet off either. Don't want to waste time at a station, probably one of my biggest pet peeves when riding with others.

Miguel as a burn survivor I can honestly say that the whole drop and roll idea simply does NOT work, (smothering yes) but what it will still do is melt your clothing to your skin. Trust me on that one.

Interesting topic tho. I guess filling up I feel pretty dang safe dressed head to toe in dead cows. Its not a fire suit but it would slow the fire down quite a bit, hopefully giving me the time to either get things off or help would be close.

• Member Contributer

I used to fill the bike while sitting on it when I first started riding. After spilling gas in my crotch and having my fiddly bits feel like they

were on fire due to the chemical burn, I quit that practice.

Now I stop, turn off the engine, leave the bike on the sidestand and in gear.

I'm always between the bike and the pump with the left hand side of the bike towards the pump.

• Member Contributer

THREAD HIJACK ALERT: I've also heard warnings/seen the stickers on the pumps saying not to be on a cell phone as they can ignite a fire. After watching an episode of Mythbusters where they did everything under the sun to try and ignite a fire with a cell phone including putting it in a closed environment with about 1000X open-air fume concentration. They were unsuccessful.

I wouldn't be on the phone while fueling my bike but I do occasionally talk while fueling my SUV.

• Member Contributer

I leave the bike running, kickstand up, and fire up a cigarette as I pump. Helmets are for sissies. I don't wipe the bugs off my Raybans because I'm too cool for them to stick.

Ok, I wear full leathers and park kickstand down, feet on the ground. I don't get off the bike if I fill up locally, but do if I'm in unfamiliar surroundings. I do set the bike upright for the last few ounces to get a more consistent fill for my mileage calculations. I've never smoked.

bob-magill-motorcycle-photography.jpg

• Member Contributer

It is not necessary to ground the bike with the side or center stand; it won't hurt but not necessary. I just read in one of the cycle mags that all tires, car and motorcycle have a strip of grounding rubber usually around the center of the tire that is compounded with materials to allow it to conduct to keep the bike from developing static charge and reducing fire hazard at fill up. The grounding ring rubber sometimes has a slightly different color but not always. There is a pic of one in the mag... I'll see if I can find it

I live about 3 blocks away from a 7-11 convenience store where a young woman was filling up her SUV when a drunk driver missed the wide upen space to the parking lot, plowed into her car and pinned her between the pump and the SUV and it caught fire - she burned to death in 30 seconds. It was all over the news and the black burn marks are still on the pavement, so maybe stand a bit away from the pump and the bike so you dont get pinned of some dumbass hits you?

Whoah, that's SO like Final Destination its unreal.

• Member Contributer

It is not necessary to ground the bike with the side or center stand; it won't hurt but not necessary. I just read in one of the cycle mags that all tires, car and motorcycle have a strip of grounding rubber usually around the center of the tire that is compounded with materials to allow it to conduct to keep the bike from developing static charge and reducing fire hazard at fill up. The grounding ring rubber sometimes has a slightly different color but not always. There is a pic of one in the mag... I'll see if I can find it

That's the April 2014 Motorcyclist, page 69.

• Member Contributer

i am pretty sure the safest way to get gas is eat that burrito INSIDE the store.

that way you dont have to worry about that pesky petroleum.

followed buy a nuked taco or 3 and rancid coffee and you should be well on you way to getting enough gas to fill the hindenburg.

I guess the only safe option here is to wear a full flame retardant suit with a flak jacket underneath, and have metal studs on your gloves so you can start fights with people smoking with their bike still running like tbzep. :goofy:

Not wanting to risk a crotch full of gas, I always get off the bike and put it on the side stand.

Besides, my back side could use some decompression. Get it off the seat.

• Member Contributer

I had noticed the "antenna tread" on my BT-23 Bridgstones and thought it was a line from where the carcass of the tire was molded together until I read that article last week. Never too old to learn something new! Just a line of silica free rubber so you don't get shocked when you put your feet down.

... and fire up a cigarette as I pump.

I saw this last summer on my bike trip. I cant remember if it was Texas or New Mexico, but we roll into a gas station and some lady is sitting in her car sucking down a cigarette while her car fills up with gas. Call me a Sally all you want, but I didn't want to stick around long enough to be involved in that mess.

• Member Contributer

You are correct ,sir... thank you. It is in the "Answers" section of that issue and the correct term is "antenna tread" that The Mailman pointed out, not grounding rubber tread ring thing...

Archived