Need Some Experienced Answers

CornerCarver

• Member Contributer

With only a month to go before our Lee Parks class in Nashville we are desperately trying to get the last details of MiniCarver's 6g/5G VFR completed.

We have been trying to locate a set of stock clip-ons and cannot. He does not want to go with Helibars (which cost about the same as stock new).

Do any of you guys have experience with other 43mm clip-ons that will not foul on the 6G bodywork? We are thinking standard Honda (for ease of finding a used source-his crappy paycheck from BestBuy doesn't go very far :goofy: ) or perhaps Ducati 748?

Any non-VFR, 43mm, stock bars that have been used on a 6G?

Assistance rendered will be greatly appreciated and perhaps even result in the consumption of an adult beverage in gratitude.

• Member Contributer

Is he afraid of being too comfortable on the VFR? Take my word for it. Do not change the bars before a track school event. Just another variable to overcome in getting a natural feel for the bike. Beyond that the brake and clutch hoses tend to fowl the triple bridge. I modified the tang that the banjo fitting rest against to adjust the levers to a more natural sporting position. I dremeled most of it off. If it's a track project bike put a set of stomp grip pads on the tank. You'll love it under hard braking and hanging off.

• Member Contributer

Is he afraid of being too comfortable on the VFR? Take my word for it. Do not change the bars before a track school event. Just another variable to overcome in getting a natural feel for the bike. Beyond that the brake and clutch hoses tend to fowl the triple bridge. I modified the tang that the banjo fitting rest against to adjust the levers to a more natural sporting position. I dremeled most of it off. If it's a track project bike put a set of stomp grip pads on the tank. You'll love it under hard braking and hanging off.

We don't have any bars for the bike...have spent the winter building the project from the incident that earned a Green Jersey for his friend at TexasMac last year...

Completely agree with stomp grip, love it on the other bikes...

• Member Contributer

The only other 43 mm Honda clipons at the moment I can think of are F4i and they are considerably lower than any VFR clips.

As a btw, 6th gen clips are about a bar diameter taller than the 5ths, and 4th gen clips are about a bare diameter lower than the 5ths. (I'm running 4th gen bars on my 5th.)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Motorcycle-Parts-/10063/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=43mm+clip+ons&_pgn=2&_skc=50&rt=nc

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=43mm+clip+ons+VFR&_osacat=10063&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X43mm+clip+ons+VFR800+Honda&_nkw=43mm+clip+ons+VFR800+Honda&_sacat=10063

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-honda-VFR-800-VFR800-Interceptor-Left-Side-Handlebar-Handle-Bar-H11-Grip-/191048298473?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c7b5dafe9&vxp=mtr

Any photos coming on your 5th engine in 6th odyssey? You Carvers do a lot of cool shit, would love to see more pics.

I'm a geek foole, feed me. :cool:

• Member Contributer

I just ordered a set of F4i clip ons from fleabay...I was hoping to find out from someone who tried them whether or not they would clear the 6G fairing before spending money but we are running out of time.

MiniCarver has been taking some pics and he will start a thread in the next couple of weeks to document the build up. We stumbled onto a couple of (we think) new discoveries regarding this swap.

The only guy that has successfully performed this that we are aware of was in England and he had to cut the rear cam cover and re-weld it to clear the rear frame section so we have clarified how to proceed with that. Still working out the wiring harness issues and the conversion from 4 coils to COPs. The ECU (and the work around for the Vtec activation solenoid) have yet to be proven in a riding environment but the bike starts and runs on the lift in the garage.

Once we have some clip ons we will post videos this week of it cruising in the cul de sac...

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

If you just want a set for the class I can bring my Heli's Sunday and you can use them for the class and bring them back to me at Tmac.

David that is a very generous offer. Thank you!

If he ends up going with Helibars it will probably CBR600F4 helis as he does not want to raise the bar height, he is young and wants to keep the forward controls. Perhaps the CBR helis would not be mush higher than standard but right now he would love to find a set of stock VFR 6G clip ons. we just haven't been able to and are now expanding our search to other 43mm bars.

• Member Contributer

Iirc, CBR-XX bars are also 43mm but quite a bit lower than those from the VTec VFR. The indexing might be different but otherwise they ought to fit.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

DSC03148.JPG?itok=Upt4DuRJ

IMG_6602.JPG?itok=QePULhq6

05-06 CBR clip ons sure dont fit !!!

DSC02198.JPG?itok=nJPyQsxv

DSC02196.JPG?itok=-p7qNE6Z

These are 99-00 $45 and $55 from this guy .

http://www.canyonmotoparts.com/99-00-honda-cbr-600-f4-right-clipon

05-06 are from the USD forks. Are you saying they don't fit because they foul on the fairing or because they are too large a diameter?

I have stock 5th gen clip ons laying in the garage, since I replaced them with an LSL superbike bar.

No grips or throttle tube or anything. Don't know if they would work for you, but if so PM me.

• Member Contributer

Iirc, CBR-XX bars are also 43mm but quite a bit lower than those from the VTec VFR. The indexing might be different but otherwise they ought to fit.

Thanks for that knowledge Lorne...I will see if they work if we prove the CBR600F clip on are too low to work with the 6G plastics....

I have stock 5th gen clip ons laying in the garage, since I replaced them with an LSL superbike bar.

No grips or throttle tube or anything. Don't know if they would work for you, but if so PM me.

Thanks for the offer Lee. Unfortunately those are 41mm and we are using 6G suspension on this project which is 43mm...

• Member Contributer

DSC03148.JPG?itok=Upt4DuRJ

IMG_6602.JPG?itok=QePULhq6

05-06 CBR clip ons sure dont fit !!!

DSC02198.JPG?itok=nJPyQsxv

DSC02196.JPG?itok=-p7qNE6Z

These are 99-00 $45 and $55 from this guy .

http://www.canyonmotoparts.com/99-00-honda-cbr-600-f4-right-clipon

05-06 are from the USD forks. Are you saying they don't fit because they foul on the fairing or because they are too large a diameter?

No because there USD 's and could not remember when the CBR changed over to USD's.

• Member Contributer
  • Member Contributer

+1. I've read on the XX forum where owners use VFR clipons as a swap. Apparently they're an inch taller than the XX's, so going the other direction s/b a more aggressive riding position. No idea about the fairing clearance with that though.

http://www.cbrxx.com/body-paint-electrical-lights/16136-vfr-bar-up-grade.html

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
  • Member Contributer

Looks like there are a number of both R and L 'Bird units on ebay available - some say "or best offer", so maybe a deal can be had. When I search, I use the "-" to weed out things I don't want, such as "-end -ends -slider", etc . That weeds out all the listings for bar ends and boils it down closer to just what I'm looking for.

• Like 1

I can send you my stock clip ons from my 6th gen to try for free. If he likes them, we can figure out a cheap price. If not, keep them for the school and send them back when you find an alternative. They are just gathering dust now.

• Member Contributer

Why for you make us wait for the build pics?

We should have been getting updates as progress was made!

We have taken 2 steps forward and 1 step back so many times on this project that you would be tempted to think that I was once Paula Abduls choreographer...We will of course post all the lessons learned in the build thread (don't do this because while it might seem the best path forward this is what results when you get from step d to preparation H)...

• Member Contributer

I can send you my stock clip ons from my 6th gen to try for free. If he likes them, we can figure out a cheap price. If not, keep them for the school and send them back when you find an alternative. They are just gathering dust now.

I made a few offers on CBR-XX clip ons last night, thanks to you guys who forwarded that info. Immediately afterwards an ebay seller accepted my offer for a set of F4 clip ons. I will still take a flier on the XX if any of my offers are accepted.

If neither of these turns out to be a workable solution for the fairing interference next week then I will send you a pm.

Thanks for the offer!

• 2 weeks later...