Went Down In A Beautiful Morning

VietHorse

Too long time not riding my baby VFR 6th Gen, I think it's around 1 year since my last trip with the VFR :wacko:

During that time, I just get the bike well stored in the garage, started up sometimes to warm the bike up and charge the battery.

Some days ago, I decided to bring the bike to the shop to change the front fork seal and fill up the oil. The bike sitting there for too long then the rubber seal was harden and cracked.

Today morning, I picked up the bike and ride to wok.

Not too far from the shop or my house to workplace, and it's city roads only. And you may (or may not) know the traffic in Hochiminh City - you need to patient and enjoy moving speed from Zero to 40km/h.

I normally use casual clothes, with helmet, leather shoes to ride daily.

I had checked the front forks and found them okay. Rode for around 5km out of the shop and thru some corners I feel comfortable with the bike, nothing happened, until... the last corner near the office, it was none on the road, road surface is nice and clear, I tried to lean a bit harder than previous corner (of course, not much lean as when I have full gears,). Damn, I was down, right at that corner.

I felt very strange when tried to lean, the front of the bike seemed very hard to turn and the bike dropped right at the middle of the corner. Lucky me, speed was just around 20kmh, as what I could remember.

The bike and me was sliding on the road for around 2 meters. It was too sudden so I couldn't jump out of the bike when it dropped.

Below is result of the incident:

Body: little bruise and scratches on the right arm and right leg. The jeans were scratched as well.

Bike: paint damages on right fairing and right engine cover.

I rode the bike to office right after checking all around.

At first, I was thinking that because of the front forks. May be one of them get serviced and the other one was not. After carefully check, I think both front forks are operating pretty the same.

Now I can confirm that the issue was lead from the outdated front tire.

The front tire was on the bike since I got it. The bike is now almost 8k miles, and I think it is the original front tire. :comp13: .

I have replaced the rear tire since early 2013 and it's still new as I may not even put 200km on it yet. Last time I have planed to replace the front tire as well, but since I got the GS then not riding VFR much, I forgot to change the front tire. Until today. Damn.

Will take the pix of front tire and post here later.

This is what I got for today:

IMG-20140227-00834-1_zps672d9955.jpg

• Member Contributer

Ouch! Heal up quick.

Hit yourself over the head for riding with that poor front tire........... :goofy:

I feel your PAIN, I live in Korea and have similar traffic condition as in Vietnam. I know I should wear protective gear all the time, but it's darn hard to wear the gear in a urban setting especially on my SYM Joymax 300cc scooter, but on the VFR 97% of the time, protective gear in worn.

Get well soon.

Could it have been some spilled diesel fuel on the road that made your bike slip??

Diesel is hard to see when it is spilled on a road surface and is as slippery as ice, so when you go down, it will be quick, like you described....

Glad to hear you are OK!

• Member Contributer

Are you sure you were not wearing your full size camera around your neck and trying to take pictures while riding like you did at the Dragon? LOL...Glad you weren't hurt too bad.

Rollin

• Member Contributer

Are you sure you were not wearing your full size camera around your neck and trying to take pictures while riding like you did at the Dragon? LOL...Glad you weren't hurt too bad.

Rollin

Scare the crap out of me, the first time he done that ..

Nog the best wat tot find out, you need a new front fire. The dotcode reveals, the fire is fabricated in week 21 in 2005. The fire is nearly 9 years old. 6 years is the limit. The rubber hardens in time and will loose grip as you unfortunately found out.

Heal up quikley.

• Member Contributer

Poor and hard working front tire:

IMG-20140227-00837_zps82d77301.jpg

IMG-20140227-00835_zps3694a784.jpg

Original Pilot Road. Ugh. Those things suck when they're new.

As someone who totalled an un-replaceable bike (Yamaha GTS) partially due to an old front tire (Metzeler Z6) I feel your pain.

Thanks guys.

No camera on my neck that time :491: , steering by both hands. :comp13:

No oil seen, road was dry, sunny.

After 24hrs update :goofy: :

IMG-20140228-00840-1_zps9a2d7b40.jpg

Here's the corner:

IMG-20140228-00838_zps13ed8b2c.jpg

I was down at the rear end of that Honda Civic.

Nog the best wat tot find out, you need a new front fire. The dotcode reveals, the fire is fabricated in week 21 in 2005. The fire is nearly 9 years old. 6 years is the limit. The rubber hardens in time and will loose grip as you unfortunately found out.

Heal up quikley.

Thanks.

I think the tire made in week 22 year 2006. The D521 is DOT manufacturer code.

IMG-20140227-00837_zps82d77301.jpg

Sometimes I think people would be better off on old slick tires, they'd have to learn to read traction levels or crash.

But how many crash good tires, for simple lack of traction sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived