It's Time For New Tires!

adg44

• Member Contributer

We don't need the GT tires on our VFR. The GT is for heavy touring bikes, which the VFR is not.

This was my question regarding the Pilot Road 4 GT. Is a heavy bike like a 6th gen with touring luggage in need of a GT spec tire? Are there any disadvantages?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

thanks for the clarification on the GT tires adg44. whats an example of a heavy touring bike, gold wing?

The Pilot Road 4 is the OEM tire for the 2014 R1200RT and that bike is ~55 lbs heavier (wet) than a 6th gen without any luggage. Add luggage and we're probably talking 40 lbs, the difference between a thin and a fat person.

It seems like the GT tire is a suitable choice for s sport touring bike of such considerable girth as the VFR is

• Member Contributer

In the Michelin PR4 video, they recommend the PR4 GT for the BMW K1600 and the FJR1300 but the standard PR4 for the VFR1200.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/77129-michelin-pr-4/

thanks for the clarification on the GT tires adg44. whats an example of a heavy touring bike, gold wing?

The Pilot Road 4 is the OEM tire for the 2014 R1200RT and that bike is ~55 lbs heavier (wet) than a 6th gen without any luggage. Add luggage and we're probably talking 40 lbs, the difference between a thin and a fat person.

It seems like the GT tire is a suitable choice for s sport touring bike of such considerable girth as the VFR is

I am quite sure in BMW fashion that the Pilot Road 4 GT for that bike has a BMW specific compound. Most automotive manufacturers have specific versions of tires for their vehicles. Porsche has the N specification, Audi has AO/R01, BMW has their own, as well as Mercedes-Benz (and others).

Also, 55lbs is over 10%, which is substantial. Add on the weight of luggage and a rider (or two) and there is then a considerable difference. You need to go by gross weight fully loaded to determine how much the actual difference is.

- Anthony

So I went onto dunlop's website and put in my bike and let it select tires for me. First suggestion? Q3s. Second suggestion was the RoadSmart 2s.

For the month of March they are also running a $40 rebate in the form of a Visa gift card if you purchase a set of either of those two tires. This puts a set of Q3s in the $210 range, which is quite amazing.

This tire was recommended earlier, but has anyone used it as a weekend tire? I have a feeling that for any highway riding it may wear down fast. I did a search but can't find any real-life longevity comments on the tire.

Also, the RoadSmart 2s are ridiculously expensive. A bit over $310 for the set was the best price I could find.

- Anthony

• Member Contributer

So I went onto dunlop's website and put in my bike and let it select tires for me. First suggestion? Q3s. Second suggestion was the RoadSmart 2s.

For the month of March they are also running a $40 rebate in the form of a Visa gift card if you purchase a set of either of those two tires. This puts a set of Q3s in the $210 range, which is quite amazing.

This tire was recommended earlier, but has anyone used it as a weekend tire? I have a feeling that for any highway riding it may wear down fast. I did a search but can't find any real-life longevity comments on the tire.

Also, the RoadSmart 2s are ridiculously expensive. A bit over $310 for the set was the best price I could find.

- Anthony

See this page post #16...

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/77191-its-time-for-new-tires/page-2

• Member Contributer

Q2 rear lasted me exactly 3500 miles...which is the ride from Portland to Virginia and a week of commuting from NOVA to DC.

FrontQ2 lasted about 7300 miles before I replaced it.

• Member Contributer

Q2 rear lasted me exactly 3500 miles...which is the ride from Portland to Virginia and a week of commuting from NOVA to DC.

I am picking up a pair of Q2's this year. I am willing to do two rears for one front. I hear the performance is great and I don't mind paying for a bit more grip. You liked them?

• Member Contributer

This ^ is why so many people run sport fronts with sport touring rears on their VFRs...even with a new rear the front is half shagged. Nothing feels as good as news shoes for the baby.

• Member Contributer

I am quite sure in BMW fashion that the Pilot Road 4 GT for that bike has a BMW specific compound. Most automotive manufacturers have specific versions of tires for their vehicles. Porsche has the N specification, Audi has AO/R01, BMW has their own, as well as Mercedes-Benz (and others).

Also, 55lbs is over 10%, which is substantial. Add on the weight of luggage and a rider (or two) and there is then a considerable difference. You need to go by gross weight fully loaded to determine how much the actual difference is.

- Anthony

Great info! Thanks.

Would you advise against a standard front and GT rear for the extended life they claim?

Thanks for this thread and the reminder. The RC51 has new shoes on the way from amazon 190/55 and 120/70 Pilot Powers for $259.93 shipped.

Always loved the Power front/Road2 rear, so prolly order up some of those for the VFR.

How do you guys get such HORRIBLE tire life?

The Roadsmart 2's on my 5th gen have quite a lot of kms on them. Front is at 15,000kms rear at around 12-13,000 and they both still have quite a bit of life left in them.

• Member Contributer

A lot of people run track day tire pressures -- really low. It makes it easier to scrub off chicken strips and be the hero at Starbucks ;)

I can't fathom getting 3000 miles out of a rear tire. Replacing tires 8 times a year is not my idea of a good time.

A lot of people run track day tire pressures -- really low. It makes it easier to scrub off chicken strips and be the hero at Starbucks ;)

I can't fathom getting 3000 miles out of a rear tire. Replacing tires 8 times a year is not my idea of a good time.

You put 24k miles on a year? Damn! :beer:

I run 36/42 PSI and get anywhere from 2,500 to 6k miles out of a rear depending on the tire (sport, ST, etc). I was consistently around the 3k-3,500 mile mark even with Sport Touring tires until my GF got her own bike. The tire mileage almost doubled after that.

• Member Contributer

The Roadsmart 2's on my 5th gen have quite a lot of kms on them. Front is at 15,000kms rear at around 12-13,000 and they both still have quite a bit of life left in them.

In addition to riding like Freddie Spencer, part of it is location, specifically the texture and temperature of your road surfaces.

Kanadian Ken hosted me for a few days of riding in Ontario in 2006. I put on a new set of Pirelli Strada (same as Metzeler Z6) sport touring tires. They still looked brand new after 1300 miles. Here in TN, the rear would have been nearly to the cords (maybe 200-300 miles left) and the front would have been half gone.

Well, this thread has just confused me even more as to what I should toss on my 98 before TexasMac... My Conti's are looking a little worn. I was leaning towards the PC2 but I may consider the Angel GT now...

• Member Contributer

After experiencing more wear than usual on a recent trip through the Rocky Mts. I was told by the tire guy at a Cedar City Honda dealer that western roads use a more aggressive aggregate mix to improve traction in winter conditions. So, generally, tires wear out faster out west.

• Member Contributer

After experiencing more wear than usual on a recent trip through the Rocky Mts. I was told by the tire guy at a Cedar City Honda dealer that western roads use a more aggressive aggregate mix to improve traction in winter conditions. So, generally, tires wear out faster out west.

Not just out west.

• Member Contributer

I can provide several links to pissing contests where I advocate 36/42 tire pressures for even the most aggressive street riding. I usually get between 3,000 and 6500 miles from a set of tires (3k from super sport and over 6k from sport touring tires.

At the Exxon at the end of our last Cherohala run on Sunday I did a quick mileage calculation ( I write the installed mileage on the sidewall in silver sharpie) and saw that I have 3,300 miles on my S20 from tire. The center still has enough tread for me to think about taking it to Nashville for our class the first week of April but the sides are done.

• Member Contributer

I can provide several links to pissing contests where I advocate 36/42 tire pressures for even the most aggressive street riding. I usually get between 3,000 and 6500 miles from a set of tires

I'm with you, I run stock pressures as well. I have experimented with lower pressures in the past but I find the bike unrideable. Even 5 psi is extremely noticeable

Archived