Rc51 Top Bridge On Cbr929 Steering Stem? Will It Work?

Rush2112

Question

• Member Contributer

Hi,

There is soooooo much info on here relating to fork swaps and I have read most, but not all. I'm looking for confirmation that a 2004 RC51 top bridge will work with a CBR929 lower triple and steering stem. I know the offsets and fork tube sizes are right, it is the steering stem mounting through the upper bridge that concerns me.

I'm building a 5th gen VFR track bike and the 929 steering stem and lower triple came today and there is a lot of room where the stem extends through RC51 upper triple. I have to order all the hardware (bearings, nuts, seals, etc.) none of that came with the used parts. I don't want to order more parts and find out it won't work and I have to back track.

I'm appealing to the collective wisdom of the VFRD Borg to help me answer this before I move forward. Please let me know if you have insight or answer to this question.

Thanks!

14 answers to this question

Yes.

Rc51 and 929 uppers and lowers will bolt together.

I have rc51 lower and 929 upper. If those two did not fit together, then it wouldn't work the other way either.

There is a lot of room because your dust seals, bearings, and top nuts are not installed. Once they are, your length will be OK

• Member Contributer

Yes.

Rc51 and 929 uppers and lowers will bolt together.

I have rc51 lower and 929 upper. If those two did not fit together, then it wouldn't work the other way either.

There is a lot of room because your dust seals, bearings, and top nuts are not installed. Once they are, your length will be OK

Thank you Sir! This place is GREAT! You can always count on the good folks at VFRD for an answer...

... so, if I purchase all the OEM 929 steering stem hardware and the correct "All Balls" conversion bearings I should be set, correct? Or should I buy the RC51 top nut to match the upper bridge?

It'll be less confusing if you order the CBR parts. The RC had two different stem sizes over the course of production. The CBR parts will work equally well.

And I'll add a +1 on the offset, spacing, and fork diameter of the two bikes being a match.

I'm building a 5th gen VFR track bike and the 929 steering stem and lower triple came today and there is a lot of room where the stem extends through RC51 upper triple. I have to order all the hardware (bearings, nuts, seals, etc.) none of that came with the used parts. I don't want to order more parts and find out it won't work and I have to back track.

The text that I have put in bold - and the "2004 RC51" bit - suggests that you have a VTR SP2 upper triple clamp. The SP2 stem is far heavier/thicker than the SP1 stem (which is more or less identical in dimensions to the CBR929/CBR954 stem) and you will either need to machine up a bush to locate the stem in the top triple, or sell that top triple and get one from either an SP1 VTR, or from a CBR929/954.

SP2 stem/lower on left, SP1 stem/lower on right:

triples.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you... that was my fear. I screwed up and got the wrong version.

Like I said before... This place is GREAT! You can always count on the good folks at VFRD for an answer...

OK, a 929/954 or RC51 SP1 top bridge will work. Would an '04 - '07 CBR1000 upper triple work with the 929 steering stem? They have the same width and offset and use the same upper & lower bearing on the All Balls conversion chart, but I don't know about the stem mounting hole diameter.

It should work... the only thing is that you will have the holes in the CBR1000RR top triple that are for bolting the electronic steering damper on.

Rob, I know you and Seb are busy with stuff these days... me on the other hand, well I have not got much to do, life of leisure and all that :happy:

• Member Contributer

It should work... the only thing is that you will have the holes in the CBR1000RR top triple that are for bolting the electronic steering damper on.

The steering dampener is a plus in my eyes... do you know what the electrical inputs are for the dampener and is there the potential for wiring into a 5th gen ECU?

Never mind... I just looked at one and it looks like it mounts to the frame, gas tank, upper triple, and anything else in the neighborhood

Ok, things are looking up... I just picked up a 929 upper triple on sale for $45 USD shipped.

Anyone need a RC51 SP2 upper triple? Nice shape, at my cost... look for it in an upcoming classified

• Member Contributer

Anyone need a RC51 SP2 upper triple? Nice shape, at my cost... look for it in an upcoming classified

Yes, as a matter of fact, I maybe could use one of those. Will PM you.

The 929/954 upper triple has a gullwing shape and drops down about 19mm

this gives you options as to what length to slide your forks up and down, or mounting the handlebars above the triple.

Rob, I know you and Seb are busy with stuff these days... me on the other hand, well I have not got much to do, life of leisure and all that :happy:

Shouldn't you be out in the garage working on The Bike Who Parks?

Would an '04 - '07 CBR1000 upper triple work with the 929 steering stem? They have the same width and offset

You might want to double check that. IIRC the '04> has 25mm offset.

Rosso is correct.

The 1000RR triples do not mix with 9xx or 51 parts.

• Member Contributer

Would an '04 - '07 CBR1000 upper triple work with the 929 steering stem? They have the same width and offset

You might want to double check that. IIRC the '04> has 25mm offset.

Rosso is correct.

The 1000RR triples do not mix with 9xx or 51 parts.

Thanks again... You guys Rock!!!

Archived