But Why? Who's Going To Buy One? Nobody.

crazybrother

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

The 1200's are done here. The only thing that will save them here is if Honda decides to really produce a true 1200 sportourer ...

I completely agree, they need to go ahead and finish making the 1200 into the ST replacement that it's built to be. It never was a replacement for the 6th gen.... and if I wanted a k1200, I'd just go to the bmw dealership and buy one... not Honda's copy of it.

I'm seriously excited about the new vfr, but very disappointed in the side exhaust. The beautifully tucked undertail exhaust is one of the most attractive things about the 6th gen and the R1, imho. Everyday I ride my bike, I get someone that comes up, asks what it is, then comments how nice the single sided swing arm looks. Why, once again, Honda had decided to cover that up with a huge ugly can hanging out in front of the view is beyond me. It's like God giving all women dd's, and then placing a man's junk right in front of them... you've got to get past what you don't want to see to look at what you do want to see.

I'll be looking to buy the new vfr in the next couple of years, and then looking at what can be done about that ugly can.

• Member Contributer

I am intrigued by the new VFR but as others have stated it is not enough of an upgrade on paper over the 5th and 6th gen to justify the price. I will have to see for myself when it comes stateside and we start getting real test ride feedback.

• Member Contributer

I am intrigued by the new VFR but as others have stated it is not enough of an upgrade on paper over the 5th and 6th gen to justify the price. I will have to see for myself when it comes stateside and we start getting real test ride feedback.

It's not supposed to be an upgrade, it's supposed to be so that you can buy the bike that you love, New. Many out there are looking for good very close to new examples of used 6th gens, I'd buy the new one in a heart beat if mine were to get wrecked and I needed to replace it.

• Member Contributer

It's not supposed to be an upgrade, it's supposed to be so that you can buy the bike that you love, New. Many out there are looking for good very close to new examples of used 6th gens, I'd buy the new one in a heart beat if mine were to get wrecked and I needed to replace it.

well put.

• Member Contributer

I didn't bash it. I said it is a great machine but in my opinion as well as a few others here, Honda lost sight of the VFR roots with the 7th gen and I still stand by that statement.

In some ways yes and in some ways no. The VFR has always been their showcase bike. With the VFR it was the DCT recently, many years ago in '98 it was fuel injection.

What Honda did to return the VFR to its roots was give it balls, HP/TQ that rivals liter bikes. That is a return to the 80's VFR's IMO.

The sport touring market has gone to shafties in many cases. I'd prefer a chain, but whatever.

As far as the engine, the 1200 motor has it's' legacy in the RC212V.

The gear driven cams cost $$$ and VFR owners are cheap.

The VFR remains a do it all bike so I'd say they are right in line with the Legacy of it.

You cannot please everyone and many don't like change.

The 1200 is a hell of a bike.

• 2 weeks later...

I dug out the paperwork for my 09 800. MSRP for that was 14,699. New bike MSRP is 14,499 here. 200 less and you get heated grips, gear indicator, tc, updated (and hopefully better) fuelling and adjustable seat.

New pricing is consistent with old pricing, will probably get discounted at the end of the year.

I am sure you are correct but what this illustrates to me more than anything is that your guys behind the Maple Curtain get screwed.

The leftover '08s were selling for a legit $7500 here albeit in 2010-2011...so looking at it from that standpoint, carryover engine and new plastics - push.

Different ABS system - push.

New radial mounted -non-linked brakes - WIN

Traction Control Light (uses the ABS instead of full system or switch on the fly mapping) - win (lower case win but still a win).

Fully Adjustable suspension but traditional RSU forks - win.

Adjustable seat - win if you are short for me it is a "Meh"

Less sexy exhaust - lose

Lighter weight - kinda sketchy way to get there but WIN (unless you get the Deluxe model and then it looks like a push)

So not enough wins adding up to the significant price increase from the last time this frame and engine was offered in North America.

But Hondas are generally more than the sum of their parts so I will reserve judgment until Southern Powersports has one to throw a leg over and test in May...

LED headlights WIN, I like seeing the road at night

I'm short, so Win for the seat. Worth it to not drop the bike in the driveway, etc. Helps resale value for you.

Quick shift option. Win.

Bottom line is what you said, a honda is more than the specs on paper, and greater than the sum of all the parts.

When I joined this site, everybody thought that the 1200f should have been what this bike is. Chain driven, lighter, more attractive looking, and a return to vfr roots styling wise. The front is slightly reminicent of the 5th generation.

I bought my 1200f then sold it because I found the nannies on the bike too intrusive(even with the z-bomb) , & the abs kicked in over rough NYC roads, shortening my stopping distance. The only time truly thought it was awesome was when I rode it on interstate 95. I then discovered what the bike was built for, and that it was not in line with my riding style. But I can almost guarantee I will be picking up one of these. I will be waiting for the reviews first, but I will not be selling my CBR1000.

Honestly, I dont know what anybody has to complain about. This bike is beautiful.

It's not supposed to be an upgrade, it's supposed to be so that you can buy the bike that you love, New.

If its not an upgrade, then why would someone pay 13 large for it? Go find yourself a lightly used 6th gen and pay $4000 and have 10k left over for beer. I think its pretty clear what VFR owners want in a new bike. The new 800 is a small step in the right direction, but to part with that kind of money, it better be a game changer. Its not.

Who is Honda trying to capture?

New riders? No way.

Owners of 5th/6th gen VFR's ?? Maybe. Just not different enough to justify the price.

I really like it, but to sell my pristine 01 and have to come up with another 10k for pretty much the same ride?? No thanks.

• Member Contributer
It's not supposed to be an upgrade, it's supposed to be so that you can buy the bike that you love, New.

If its not an upgrade, then why would someone pay 13 large for it?

Because new things cost more money than used things. People buy new cars even though the model has been out for two years unchanged and there are used ones for sale.

Honda is trying to capture new riders and diversify their clientèle. They have to do that in a harder economy. Yes, we don't like it, but that's the way it is. They've come out with a few good all rounders, a few good newbie bikes, and some other odd creations that are apparently selling well enough for them to invest more into.

And until you ride the new VFR, you cannot say that it is not an upgrade.

I'm quite certain that I don't need to ride one to know that its not a $10000 upgrade. Same weight, power, and looks. Ill pass.

• Member Contributer

I'm quite certain that I don't need to ride one to know that its not a $10000 upgrade. Same weight, power, and looks. Ill pass.

Again, is that new car a $25,000 upgrade over your current one? Nope. Unless of course, you don't have a car, or you consider an engine that goes Vrooom vroom an upgrade.

As nice as that new 800 is it's just not enticing enough at this time. It looks great to me and I love the low exit exhaust. While not a total exotic make over, the 2014 is a nice update to a long running classic. For me I'm gonna hold on to my '07, maybe even splurge on some heated grips or something.

• Member Contributer

If its not an upgrade, then why would someone pay 13 large for it? Go find yourself a lightly used 6th gen and pay $4000 and have 10k left over for beer.

So, where exactly do you think all those used bikes come from anyway??? By that theory, companies should only produce one model for one year, and then let everyone buy used until they "upgrade" it sufficiently for you to justify buying it. Think about the reason that someone would walk out of the dealership with a new bike, when there's an identical used bike sitting in the same dealership... then you'll have your answer. If you only buy used, cool, but if you discourage everyone from buying new... you'll have nothing to buy.

If its not an upgrade, then why would someone pay 13 large for it? Go find yourself a lightly used 6th gen and pay $4000 and have 10k left over for beer.

So, where exactly do you think all those used bikes come from anyway??? By that theory, companies should only produce one model for one year, and then let everyone buy used until they "upgrade" it sufficiently for you to justify buying it. Think about the reason that someone would walk out of the dealership with a new bike, when there's an identical used bike sitting in the same dealership... then you'll have your answer. If you only buy used, cool, but if you discourage everyone from buying new... you'll have nothing to buy.

I'm not discouraging anyone. This is just my opinion. Id be the first in line to buy a new one if it met certain criteria. Besides nicer wheels, and T/C, the new VFR 800 doesn't have much to offer over a 5th/6th gen. (T/C seems pointless on a 100hp bike, but again, my opinion).

Now if your on a beat up old Ninja 500, or your tired of your CBR 250 then this might be the bike for you. For me, Ill continue to wait. Its only been like 10 years.

• Member Contributer

I'm not discouraging anyone. This is just my opinion. Id be the first in line to buy a new one if it met certain criteria. Besides nicer wheels, and T/C, the new VFR 800 doesn't have much to offer over a 5th/6th gen. (T/C seems pointless on a 100hp bike, but again, my opinion).

Now if your on a beat up old Ninja 500, or your tired of your CBR 250 then this might be the bike for you. For me, Ill continue to wait. Its only been like 10 years.

Trust me, I'm with you on that... I won't be in line to buy one either... but if I end up needing to replace my bike, that'll be on my very short list. Sure, there are things I don't like (i hate nanny components on a bike, and don't like the side exhaust), but it's a new vfr800 that I can roll off the showroom floor, enough said. Lol

Then again, they aren't releasing it for those of us riding a currently fine running vfr. I see it being a big hit.

I agree, the 8th gen doesn't offer much if you presently have a vfr, Ive been looking for a VFR replacement for years, and the closest on paper I thought an R1 (09) but then I rode one and it was hotter than a furnace and twitchy. But I sure miss good exercise, and motarding a wr450 or KTM 450 is more likely my direction and just keeping the vfr for street only, even though well over 100,000 miles it still runs as good as when it was at mile 1, actually better, cause its all set up.

Then again, they aren't releasing it for those of us riding a currently fine running vfr.

This statement defines why the 2014 VFR will most likely sit on showroom floors. Just like the VFR 1200 does, and just like the 6th gen did. (yes, I sold Honda powersports from 2003 to 2008). Its almost a running joke now, to wait a couple years for the price to come down a few grand

• Member Contributer
Then again, they aren't releasing it for those of us riding a currently fine running vfr.

This statement defines why the 2014 VFR will most likely sit on showroom floors. Just like the VFR 1200 does, and just like the 6th gen did. (yes, I sold Honda powersports from 2003 to 2008). Its almost a running joke now, to wait a couple years for the price to come down a few grand

Not selling maybe says more about the short-sightness different appreciation consumers have in the USA?

Mind you, the most popluar -large capacity- bike here has been and is the BMW GS.........

• Member Contributer

Not selling maybe says more about the short-sightness different appreciation consumers have in the USA?

Mind you, the most popluar -large capacity- bike here has been and is the BMW GS.........

So you have a new 8th G on order to replace your 6 G? Oh wait, you never upgraded to the 6G because of your "different appreciation"...then surely you will see the 8G as an upgrade to your 5G....hmmm...checking your "in my garage" it seems that you didn't upgrade to the 5G either...I guess that was "short-sightedness" on your part...

I looked at a bmw 1300 a few years back, its lack of adjustability compared to the 6th gen was a negative, and the clip-ons seemed more narrow and non adjustable, brakes to me felt wooden. Add in the cost and too many negatives to overcome, actually if everything was Koshier, with set up and layout, price wouldn't have bee a negative.

• Member Contributer

I want one but not enough to sell my '03, now if it was written off in a heartbeat I would.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I have not been around here much since I sold my 04 and bought Multistrada 1200 Touring. But IMHO the new VFR will be a great bike. It however is not the bike I would have made if I were in charge of Honda.

The vast expendature of money would have been on #2 below.

1. I would have given the bike a CBR style underslung exhaust.

2. More importantly, I'd have given the bike a new 900cc V-4 making no less than 125 Bhp and to save as much money as possible it would have retained as many of the 800's parts as possible.

3. I'd have given it full rider position adjustability. (windscreen, handlebars, seat and footpegs...all manual to save weight and costs)

4. I'd have given it the fork, shock, and brakes straight off of a CBR because parts bin stuff lowers the costs.

5. And finally, rider modes, a slipper clutch, along with TC...again cribbed from other models to keep the costs down.

Many of these items could have been packaged as options too, and the base bike could have been a stripper for the purists.

Archived