But Why? Who's Going To Buy One? Nobody.

crazybrother

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Welcome and congratualtions on the new VFR! :beer:

• Member Contributer

My modified 2004 is a better motorcycle.

Really? Using your personal criteria I assume.

Have you actually ridden the new VFR800F? It handles, steers & brakes better than my 08 6th Gen. It looks better, is a more modern design, is obviously "new" and is not saddled with 10 year old mileage & wear & tear that an 04 has.

Just don't understand your point m8.

• Member Contributer

My modified 2004 is a better motorcycle.

Really? Using your personal criteria I assume.

Have you actually ridden the new VFR800F? It handles, steers & brakes better than my 08 6th Gen. It looks better, is a more modern design, is obviously "new" and is not saddled with 10 year old mileage & wear & tear that an 04 has.

Just don't understand your point m8.

Time will tell just because Honda says it don't mean it's so ..

• Member Contributer

I still cannot understand after all the negative feedback that the CCT reintroduction recieved that Honda did not go back to gear driven cams. That would have reestablished the dependable bullet proof engine that VFR's became famous for. It was not the fastest bike but for no hassle maintenance those engines cannot be beat. They are known as over engineered, in a good way, as a response to win back consumer confidence from the early VFR cam failure bikes.

• Member Contributer

I happened to be in my dealer today and they had a just received 2014 white base model, red deluxe version due in a week or two. if I was looking to buy a new bike this would be near the top of the list. It just seems like a renewed 5th gen, I'm really liking it.

Well, here is my point. I have a 2004 VFR with 22,000 miles on it - just broken in, really. My bike's engine is virtually identical to the new VFR's engine, but I bought my VFR on the cheap and modded it - Ohlins shock, revalved and resprung fork, Power Commander and dynotune, Galfer rotors, SS brake lines, and other goodies such as Carrozzeria wheels and Leo Vince carbon exhaust for weight reduction (including wheel weight) and other stuff like SpeedoHealer. Still cheaper than the newest VFR.

I'll take mine, thanks, at least until the new one comes stock with Ohlins, Power Commander, custom map, lighter wheels, upgraded brakes, etc. for my price. Or until some FUNDAMENTAL improvement (engine?) is made. I don't intend to be snotty, but I never buy new motorcycles because it costs too much to make them mine. Good used bikes plus aftermarket rocks the house!

You should see my 1998 Ducati 748 . . .

• Member Contributer

Well, here is my point. I have a 2004 VFR with 22,000 miles on it - just broken in, really. My bike's engine is virtually identical to the new VFR's engine, but I bought my VFR on the cheap and modded it - Ohlins shock, revalved and resprung fork, Power Commander and dynotune, Galfer rotors, SS brake lines, and other goodies such as Carrozzeria wheels and Leo Vince carbon exhaust for weight reduction (including wheel weight) and other stuff like SpeedoHealer. Still cheaper than the newest VFR.

I'll take mine, thanks, at least until the new one comes stock with Ohlins, Power Commander, custom map, lighter wheels, upgraded brakes, etc. for my price. Or until some FUNDAMENTAL improvement (engine?) is made. I don't intend to be snotty, but I never buy new motorcycles because it costs too much to make them mine. Good used bikes plus aftermarket rocks the house!

You should see my 1998 Ducati 748 . . .

+1 exactly ...

I understand that when a new model comes out, everyone who owns a previous model says they are not going to upgrade. Somehow like the new model is just for them.

But I came to the VFR from a Triumph. The new model is as much to attact new customers to the product as it is to tempt existing customers to upgrade. So for me the VFR had to compete against existing loyalties, and compete against everything else including beemers, FJR, Sprints, GTRs, you name it.

I still chose this bike. As an example the Z1000 looks busy (IMHO) and has a small fuel tank range, not like the 21 litres of the VFR.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome and congratualtions on the new VFR! :beer:

Thank you Dutchy for your welcome, and apologies for forgetting my manners and being so late with my reply.

The only Dutch I can think of is Dank u well. And the other bike in the garage is a Koga Miyata from De Vakantiefietser in Amsterdam !

Take it easy Dutchman.

I understand that when a new model comes out, everyone who owns a previous model says they are not going to upgrade. Somehow like the new model is just for them.

But I came to the VFR from a Triumph. The new model is as much to attact new customers to the product as it is to tempt existing customers to upgrade. So for me the VFR had to compete against existing loyalties, and compete against everything else including beemers, FJR, Sprints, GTRs, you name it.

I still chose this bike. As an example the Z1000 looks busy (IMHO) and has a small fuel tank range, not like the 21 litres of the VFR.

I'm potentially coming from Triumph as well. I have a Street Triple '09 that is likely to get totaled and I'm looking to replace it with something similar but different. I think that the refresh and the new version of the ST3 is ugly!!!! I refuse to buy one. The original was perfect. I have had a Daytona and a Street Triple. I'm known as the Triumph guy and have converted at least 2 people to them. The new VFR I think looks damn fantastic! I'm hoping that it is similar to my ST3 but I have never ridden a VFR before (I'm a little worried about the 100lb weight difference). I have always liked the looks of the bike and I'm a SSSA lunatic (I have to have one on my next bike). It would be much cheaper to get a used 6th gen and throw some mods at it. I just think the new version is such a nice "refresh" that I'd wish I had the new one. The extra few gallons of fuel will be nice as I commute on my ST3, err normally do. The touring ability and storage ability is a huge draw for me along with the seat height. I'm a wee 5'7" with a 30ish inseam. That low seat height will be awesome for carrying passengers, very confidence inspiring.

The other thing besides the weight that I wonder about is the TC. I would use this bike for BIG track, track days. I have a KTM 450SMR which can handle a lot but I need to do Road America soon and I'm not interested in trying to run that there. I guess I could just turn the TC off but, it would be nice if it helped... Does anyone know if the 7th Gen TC was a hindrance?

Epyon007

Well, for city commuting maybe you would be better with some sort of naked or Supermoto type bike. One thing I have noticed with the Viffer is that I sometimes slip it into neutral at traffic lights and sit up with hands off the bars - lights go green and everybody's is off. With other bikes I would slip it into neutral but still keep hands on the bars or, at least, it is not such an effort to put your hands on the bars again in readiness of the green light. It is no big deal and i do not have back issues, just something I have noticed when in traffic and maybe I will grow out of the habit.

I do not find the bike heavy, even with luggage - did come close to dropping it when taking it off the centre stand and onto my foot ! ( twat - or probably dumb-ass they say in the USA) nearly droped it ! So you should be allright so long as you do not park it on your foot.

Traction control - I think it worked once - but not sure. Coming out of the car park in the wet - had to turn across the road, which is legal, but you do not want to spend all day about it. Anyway, felt a tiny bit of tyre spin on the turn, and that was it. So not sure if it was the traction control that cut in.

I would have liked the Speed Triple R but dificult to set up with luggage. Even with an Arrow aftermarket pipe they only have a short tail so not really on. For me the bike has to be able to carry luggage, massively important, and then take it from there.

Lovely looking bike, in my humble opinion.

14565743396_191bfaf4f7_c.jpgVFR800 drama-1 by 660 Mattie, on Flickr

I have bought one, arrives on Thursday. Coming from a Versys 1000. Was going to swap to a Z1000sx but the VFR beats the Z1000 on looks and teh experience with the Kawasaki has not been brilliant

• Member Contributer

Well done mate! (or if you are from north of the border, pal) :-)

So... has anyone actually bought one yet?

My original post...

Actually someone on this site has bought one, He's decided not to respond to obnoxious repetative one sided questions and instead enjoy his new bike. I'll be test riding his soon.

Archived