2014 Vfr Coming To America!

A bit torn on this. I just picked up a used 2010 1200 thinking they weren't gonna bring this to the states and bam, here it is.

But for the money, I don't think it's enough to make me jump anytime soon. At least not until the dealers start doing fire sales to unload them ;)

TC as a standard feature seems odd. Never had a problem with wheelspin on my '03 to be honest, but it would be nifty to not have nanny ABS and save the 1500$ extra and just add a center stand. But the real issue to me is retaining the VTEC. I really disliked the 6.8k step on my '03 and I'm growing found of the torque of the 1200 now and can see myself holding on the 1200 for now.

Interested to see if the factory bags will have the same seamless mounting arrangement that the 1200 has. Hated the ugly mounting brackets on my '03 -- the newer style is so much nicer.

I'll be watching out though. I bet it looks great in person and 65# less than the 1200 would sure be nice.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I really haven't said much about this bike other than I want one. As a current owner of a 4th, 6th, and 7th gen, and having just sold my 5th gen a little over a year ago, here is my take of the new bike.

I really did love the 5th Gen except for the linked brakes and side mounted radiators. As we all know, when it gets hot outside it is really hard to get the temps back down on that bike and the 6th gen, especially in 118 degree heat and riding in town. The 1200 does not have that problem so the front mounted radiator is a plus in my book. Linked brakes are a pain in the a$$ to service and when I want just rear or front brakes, that is what I want. So no linked brakes is another plus for me. I have only had the TC kick in one time with the 1200 and that was when I was pulling out on a road from a gravel parking lot so the TC/ABS system is not a deal breaker either way.

Due to my size the 4th, 5th, and 6th gen fit me well, with the 4th Gen probably being the best fit. The 1200 is just a bit on the heavy side for me. Do not get me wrong, on the highway the 1200 is a thing of beauty, comfortable, more power than I could ever use, and brakes that can not be beat. In town and in the mountains is where I struggle a bit with her. At the end of the day I know that I have been throwing around the extra weight. So, radial mounted front calipers and a lot less weight is a plus for me.

I find that a seat height of 30 to 31 is just about right for me. I turned the triangles on the 5th and 6th gen and that got me where I needed, the 1200 I have the lowered seat option and it is just about right. So an adjustable seat from 31 inches is a plus.

Since everyone is saying the bike is a parts bin bike it looks like the muffler is about the same as the 5th gen. If that is so then there are already exhaust systems out there that should be just a straight bolt on option already. We will know that information pretty soon. The under seat exhaust on the 6th gen is sexy but I can live with a side mounted exhaust also.

Suspension is another thing that most of us tune to our own preference, so the lack of USD forks is not a deal breaker for me. I have the tools to work on conventional forks so if I need to alter the compression valving, then so be it. Not like I have not done this on most every bike I have ever owned anyway. Heck, my wife's FZ6 did not even have pre-load adjusters on the front forks from the factory. It now has that and emulators. At least we get pre-load and re-bound adjustability on the new bike.

Cool new 10 spoke wheels, led lighting, integrated luggage like the 1200, new instrumentation like the 1200 with fuel mileage read out and gear indication, and grip heaters just add to my desire for one of these.

These are just some opinions from someone that has been on most of the different VFR's out there. I really think Honda has tried to give us what we want within the boundaries of what their bean counters will let them do these days. Just my opinion.

• Member Contributer

I'm sure the headers are the same as the 5/6G, so the outlet should be the same for older model mufflers. Mounting points are bound to be different. Seb is going to be busy making muffler hangers!

• Member Contributer

Interesting ad on local Craigslist, not sure of the marketing approach. :huh:

Honda Interceptor Returns to North American Shores
http://powersports.honda.com/2014/interceptor.aspx
Good news folks, the legendary Honda VFR 800 is returning to US and Canadian shores after a nearly five-year hiatus. If you were disappointed when Honda didn't confirm the VFR 800 for North America back in November at EICMA, take heart, it's on its way.
Since 1998, the Honda VFR 800 has combined the seductive power delivery of a V4 with subdued styling, comfy ergos, all-day practicality and bulletproof Honda reliability.
Sure, it doesn't have the sex appeal of a Ducati 1199 Panigale or the rough-and-tumble attitude of a KTM 1190 Adventure, but what it does have is probably the best blend of comfort, performance and practicality for riders who consider a motorcycle to be their primarily form of transportation.
Things have not been all roses and honey for the Interceptor over the years, however. The 2002-onward generation gained a little in weight, incorporated Honda's infamous VTEC system, and generally lost a bit of the cult-classic character that defines the pre-2002 generation bikes with their non-variable valving and linear torque delivery.
Thus, to this day the 2001 and earlier bikes seem to hold their value, while the VTEC generation bikes tend to be better bargains.
The 2014 Honda Interceptor borrows the VTEC from the previous generation and adds a few new features such as adjustable seat height, radially mounted front brakes, LED lighting and more.
The Deluxe model is the one to look at with its added features such as ABS, Traction Control, grip heaters, self-canceling signals, and adjustable front forks.
Prices will be in the $12,499-13,499 range depending on which model you go for. For the $1000 more Big Red wants for the Honda Interceptor Deluxe, it seems like a no-brainer. Expect to see it in showrooms in May.
We are taking deposits now on both models
Please email me or call for more info
We are looking at a release date in April.
xxxxx xxxxxxxxx (yyy)yyy-yyyy
Roseville Honda Motorsports
360 N Sunrise ave. Roseville CA 95661

• Member Contributer

Show rooms in May...can't wait to check it out.

Take me with you. Man! They are becoming more beautiful (to my eye) with every viewing.

• Member Contributer

damn it !! v tech damn it

It almost reminds me of how Honda stuck with the failed test of the 16" front wheel after everyone knew it was a fad....if they are stuck on the faux Vtec engine then they should at least steal from Aprilia and run the intake cams on a chain and run the exhaust cams on a gear from the intake cams....should be quiet enough to get past the EPA ANALysts as well as keep the geometry of the chain in a more reliable state.

• Member Contributer
When torque is transmitted across a gear pair, parasitic losses make the output torque less than the input torque. In other words, mechanical efficiency is lost as the torque is transferred across the gear pair. A helical gear pair is less efficient than a straight cut gear pair. The helix of the gear tooth generates axial thrusts that waste energy (in return for quiet operation). For this reason, a helical gear will never be found in any racing applications.

Always wonder why helical gears weren't used on GDC motors now I know. I assumed it was because they were not loud enough .

Maybe they still haven't recouped the investment made in designing the VTEC yet?

02 - 09 in USA, 02 - current AUS, 02 - ?? EU, 02 - current JPN. That's a lot of engines. I'll bet they have made all of the money back and then some. They're just playing it safe and milking it. Like the Goldwing and ST1300 engines while they put out new engines like the 250/300 single, 500 P-twin etc.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Talked to a guy at my local honduh dealer... he will call me when the first one shows up. He said sales plummeted with VTEC and the 1200 was even worse. Hopefully Honda learned their lesson, my 86 vfr750 needs a friend

I am riding my 94 with 88,000 miles that is showing wear and needs some TLC. I love it and said I would only consider trading it for another VFR that stirs my soul like this one does. If they had come out with the version in the attached photo It would have been a no brainer! Now I find the 6th gens have grown on me but...nah. This new one, isn't hideous and the factory bags have me interested. If only they could have come up with a more compact exhaust to show of that sexy rear wheel...why can't they consistently get that right?! This one has me intrigued but will it be enough to make me pull the trigger or will I continue to live like I do every year...looking for the rumor of a new VFR...HOPING they will get the magic of the 4th gen in a 21st century package that I can afford or am willing to shell out my cash for. I was losing hope and test rode a 2009 Sprint GT...only to have it die on the test ride! I suspect Ol' faithful will be with me for a LONG time...and I can't say I am disappointed about that.

post-5288-0-00578200-1395699528.jpg

• Member Contributer

They seemed to have given up on sport tourers. ST1300s never sold that well and the they retool it into the CTX1300. Now they have that and two versions of a stripped down Goldwing all over $17,000. The Deauville didn't sell quickly here because it was expensive for what it was. I would LOVE an 800ish sport tourer with adjustable windscreen and more upright ergos. May go to a V-Strom 650 next.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

There's a song in there some where : " VFR is coming to America "

:goofy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dM2UXFe78sc#t=28

This my favorite Alice Cooper song .

H mmmmm ..

Was at a 2nd hand record fair yesterday, couldn't resist......

So fist in the air for Switch, our Dragonslayer !!! :beer:

post-8974-0-91902400-1456130322.jpg

Archived