I Never Ride If The Temperature Is At Or Below X F/c, Unless I…

Duc2V4

I never ride if the temperature is at or below x F/C, unless I…  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ride in the cold?

• ? I?ll only ride when it?s sunny and warm.
    • ? I?ll ride in the cold in textile gear and layered winter under garments.
    • ? I?ll ride in the cold in leathers and layered winter under garments.
    • ? I?ll ride in the cold with active heated gear, in leathers or textiles.

• Forum CEO

Its funny, I routinely ride my bicycle from work when its 20F outside at the crack of dawn, I have been doing it all winter long. I commute to work on my bicycle at least twice a week as long as the roads are not icy and its not wet. I am wearing multiple layers but I am pedaling a bicycle for 8 miles and its uncomfortable at first but I do it by the time I get home I am down right warm. I once did the ride home at 15f and that is about my limit, balaclava, thick windstopper gloves, perl isami windstopper jacket, pear isami windstopper bike pants, two coolmax shirts on, and a backpack with chem packs in if I start to get numb. As luck has it my home is a 600 foot steady climb for 8 miles so I am going uphill the whole way and I have to work at it and after 2 miles I am pretty much warmed up. The first two miles are a bitch though.

On my motorcycle its about 30f and thats about my limit and that is with HEATED gear. I have to laugh cause I just cant stand the cold on a motorcycle. Today I went for a ride and my buddy decided to head up to his old place in Victor Colorado and it was down to 37f in places and I was very uncomfortable, with my heated seat, heated gloves, heated vest, and heated grips. Just had to laugh since Its no where near as cold as when I have done it bicycling with LESS clothes and NO heated gear - I suppose that internal furnace is much more powerful when its working at full steam. I must say the wind chill factors in too, 70 mph is much more wind than 14mph.

I am good to about 50f out with no heated gear just layers.

I thought thick gloves and heated grips could do the job, but 30f in Deadwood South Dakota for a 4 hour ride, I was in Rapid City the next day at the dealership there buying Gerbings gloves to go with the Gerbings jacket I already had, then splicing the wires to make them work together with my bike. The gloves are great! I water proofed them with some spray I got at walmart but might try that new water proof stuff they just came out with thats now the newest tech for water proofing for the outdoors "neverwet"

• Member Contributer

+1 with regards to riding bicycles...

I get up Saturday mornings at 05:45 for a good 2 hour ride with my friend/neighbour.

as long as there is no ice, we will go as low as 20F too.... :-)

On the mc I like things to be over 40F

My favorite time of the year, is from may to September, when its 80 degrees at 6am , days like that you don't need to wear a lot of gear, makes it very easy to dress for , including less time consuming.

But to answer the question, I don't ride in textiles or leather, but I will use heated gear and rain gear when its cold.

Archived