Shindengen Fh020Aa Rectifier / Regulator - Super Mosfet Kit

Corey

I'm glad this thread came up, I'm going to order the super mosfet kit today, since I have hard starts and my dash clock keeps reseting. Voltage was already weak when I got my bike.

• Member Contributer

You won't be disappointed. If you order from Roadstercycle, Jack can customize the electrical cables to the length/configuration you want.

• Member Contributer

In regards to the OEM power connector, I just sealed it up with electrical tape and left it alone. You can see it in this photo.

+1 on that. I did the same. I have a lot of confidence in the reliability of the super mosfet kit so I'm not carrying spare parts, but that seems like a good idea.

On the OEM power connector....... Typically being the OCD engineer.....

First grab a mating connector and go to town with Liquid tape (fun stuff)

Liquidtape1.jpg

Back to the OEM connector a slop some more on it with the Liquid Tape

likwidtapestock3.jpg

Plug it in to the OEM connector

plugedstock1.jpg

And Since 1 inch heat shrink is available (cool stuff)

Connectorsealedup.jpg

Super seal it up..... (Is that enuff? lol)

:cool:

@ Mello

Ha Ha I thought I was the only person C.D.O (ocd in the right order) enough to do something totally O.T.T like that

And you are absolutely right you gotta love heat shrink and liquid tape

• Member Contributer

Corkey,

Great writeup and images. I have this on my to do list over the winter. I did the same mod on my 6th Gen with a super kit and want to do the same on the new to me 99 5th Gen. Did you order any extra length wire on the stator side or the battery lead side? I did an extra 12" on both for the 6th Gen and was glad that I did. Let us know so that it makes it easier to order the kit. Also did you order a mounting plate from Jack or just drill the plate on the frame to mount the new R/R?

For the RR to battery, 20 inches total length with the positive cable being 6 inches shorter worked well for me (considering the terminals on the battery are roughly 6 inches apart).

I just drilled the existing plate on the frame, but mounted it horizontal rather than vertical because it fit better that way (cables went straight in instead of bending).

• Member Contributer

For the RR to battery, 20 inches total length with the positive cable being 6 inches shorter worked well for me (considering the terminals on the battery are roughly 6 inches apart).

I just drilled the existing plate on the frame, but mounted it horizontal rather than vertical because it fit better that way.

Good advice. I basically mirrored your install as well. No need for the adapter plate for the Mosfet RR.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I just finished mine over the holidays. Looks just like the OP when done and went together easy. The stock lengths of cable in the Super Kit were fine and if anything the battery cable length is a bit long. I crimped with a ratchet crimper I borrowed from work and soldered the connections as well before shrinking over them. Now I just need to finish my volt meter installation and I am ready for spring.

I just ordered the Mosfet FH020 kit thanks to all of you (92 VFR750). I have not yet received it yet. The OEM power lead is wired into the starter relay. From reading this thread, all of you have wired the power lead directly to the battery and sealed off the old RR connector. Will the starter relay still function correctly? Not sure if the 5th and 6th gens are wired up the same.

TIA,

Roger

• Member Contributer

Everything will work correctly. You will still have the original wiring harness hooked up to the battery, and an additional postive & negative lead hooked to the battery from the new RR.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Hmmmm....I found the Super Mosfet Kit to be just a little short when installing on my 6th gen. I could install with the kit but the cable to the battery was exposed.  An extra 6 - 9 inches allowed me to install the wiring so that everything was hidden.

Archived