Total Control Advanced Riding Clinics

OutlawsJustice

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

We are tired! The boys have sore legs and backsides. We rode about 600 miles yesterday to practice what we learned and none of it on the highway until we hit GA 400 in Gainesville GA...about 98 miles from home.

My cheeks are sore from smiling at their joy and excitement from their improved riding skills! The Bluetooth helmet connectors are priceless as they critique each other and me on riding position, premature initiation of the flop, throttle control and even trail braking.

You could tell this was not David's first rodeo as an instructor and even though he could have used my technique for almost any of the "bad rider" portions of the demo on the range, he was so good that he actually "rode wrong" and then demonstrated the correct technique as well.

We used the off day on Friday to get in about 200 miles on unknown roads leading north from Nashville into Kentucky and back. This allowed us the opportunity to practice the level l stuff. I would have preferred about a month between classes but only because I have so many years of bad habits that it was tough to put it all together on the range in time for level II the following day.

Stephen (TallCarver) would have won most improved rider were such an award given but I saw some guys who may have had their life saved by this instruction. Guys who were pushing the bike down under them and eating up all of their lean angle by riding crossed up. Guys who were afraid to use the brake into (or past) the apex of a turn to avoid an object in the road, guys who initially practiced their "EMERGENCY!" stops as though they were in a grocery store parking lot toodling along at 6-9 mph...

We all know how docile the VFR is with barely 100HP at the wheel and an extra 100-150 lbs compared to the RR bikes so it is hard to get in real trouble being ham fisted with the throttle and for those of us who have ridden any off road it is fun to slide the front (a little!) and even more fun to try and spin up the rear on the VFR when on the side of the tire to make the amazing tires available to us look like bubble gum on the edges. In so doing the past several years I have developed some really bad throttle habits to go along with my lazy riding position posture which means that even though I have spent what a used VFR would cost on my suspension, that even it was overmatched by my ham-fisted throttle and chassis changing transitions.

That being said, I did not expect to be challenged in level I. I was looking forward to watching the boys progress and to me dusting off the rust from slowing down and helping the boys learn the past several years. I thought I was an okay rider.

VFROne (who you all remember from TexasMac last year when he "won" the green jersey) sent a text asking what we learned on day one. Stephen replied "How to use the throttle." Vadis returned with "Throttle - like maintenance throttle?" Stephen replied, "No. Just how to use the throttle." It is difficult to convey how the first range drills of throttle and braking were not boring but if you have ever tried to master something that seems so simple but in reality is something that you must practice constantly to even appear competent then you are getting close.

That is what makes this course a must for everyone who wants to be a safer or faster rider. You cannot be faster or safer if you are eating up all of your lean angle with bad body positioning and if you do not know how to keep the chassis settled while throttling up or braking. Don't even get me started on how much fun it is to consistently loft the rear wheel on linked brake VFR and the confidence that comes with knowing how much speed you can actually scrub off in an emergency to come to a stop or slow enough to avoid an obstacle.

Going into this event I hoped that the boys would get a great deal from it and I would enjoy their growth. It exceeded every expectation that I had. I wish they had this course 20 years ago! It is very well developed as each class section is built upon on the range and the big picture is brought into focus by the links that the instructors provide on the course with immediate feedback on areas of improvement. If you are already a competent rider then your critique after an exercise may be a simple, "reposition your foot prior to initiating the turn." If you are more raw then you may be instructed in how to move your hips to open your shoulders and allow your head/shoulders to lead you into the turn. It doesn't matter where your riding skills fall on the spectrum you can be a better rider after taking and applying this instruction.

If you worry whether or not you are a good enough rider to make improvements from this class don't. If you have a year or two under your belt (I believe that Lee Parks calls for 3,000 miles of experience) you probably have not learned all of the bad habits that many more experienced riders have and you could prevent the kind of unnecessary accidents that we all see drive motorcyclists away from the sport we love.

If you are an experienced rider and pretty fast within your normal ride group this is much better than a track day for sharpening the skills you need to stay safe and have fun on the track or street. For my next event I am looking for a Total Control track day where each corner worker is a TC instructor and your feedback is much better than from track day groups or peers.

If you have a course being offered anywhere near you this year you should make whatever adjustments to your schedule necessary to attend. I know I will be back in the future for a refresher.

Many thanks to Brandon of www.Nashvilleriders.com and our instructors David and Rick. The last hour of day two was much more than fun anyone can imagine having in a parking lot on a motorcycle.

All of the photos of the groups are up at Brandon's website listed above but here are few to illustrate the improvement, bear in mind that even the "before" pics were taken on the afternoon of day one after several hours of class and riding instruction had already started to have an impact.

TCClass 040314 347

TCClass 040314 302

A couple of Stephen

TCClass_040514_102.jpg

including most improved rider..

TCClass 040314 269

TCClass 040314 264

... of MiniCarver

TCClass 040514 181

Looking way through the corner

And for the old man...

TCClass 040514 228

Can anyone see the invisible tank bag keeping my head and shoulders so high?

TCClass 040514 167

This is on the way down...after a completed stop my feet are off the pegs reaching for the pavement. Not proper form, should have kept my knees in tight to grip the tank and my feet on the pegs...

Ohhh what a great time! Like CC already said, they start you out with learning how to use a throttle... from which my right hand is STILL sore through hours of those slight, acute throttle movements.

Each time you learn something, or have previous knowledge and understanding redefined in the classroom, you take the lessons out to the range to practice. Everybody, no matter how many thousands of miles they've ridden, needed several attempts to get the "thumbs up" from David or Rick to let you know you're getting it.

My confidence grew with each lesson and range exercise until the TC Solo, the last exercise of Total Control Level 2.

My First trip in, I blew the tight decreasing radius corner which messed me up for the dounle left hander into the figure eight.

Second time through, I lost my throttle and my bike dove in hard and upset my suspension... which is what you've been learning through the lessons and almost all previous exercises to never do.

Third time through, I remind myself that "I can handle it if I drop my bike in the parking lot."

The class really does remove all fear of a crash. It is controlled and tight with immediate feedback.

I got smoother and stronger and felt greater control as the bike became part of me throughought the experience.

By the end, my knee was a fraction of an inch from the parking lot as my peg feeler scraped.

David, thanks so much for being a part of Total Control and our enhanced riding experience. Boy did we have a blast heading home.

• Member Contributer

Sounds like a good time! Guess this means I won't be stuck riding lead all the time anymore :cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

Bikes look great, BTW :cool:

Kev, wish you could have joined us.

I am guessing I wont be leading much anymore...it really screws up my lines when I keep looking in my mirrors to admire their new form and make sure they are still safe.

We found an excellent road on the way home from Nashville but it is too far to reach from T-Mac...can hardly wait to see your 5G soon.

• Member Contributer

Sounds like a good time! Guess this means I won't be stuck riding lead all the time anymore :cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

I am guessing I wont be leading much anymore...it really screws up my lines when I keep looking in my mirrors to admire their new form and make sure they are still safe.

We found an excellent road on the way home from Nashville but it is too far to reach from T-Mac...can hardly wait to see your 5G soon.

What road from Nashville? We will be heading out from there to TMAC... besides I always like to find new great roads!

• Member Contributer

Thanks to all those that attended the classes including the four VFR riders! It was my pleasure working with guys and sharing the tips, hints that are the keys to "Be Smooth" I will be back to Kentucky in July and back to Nashville in October!

• Member Contributer

What road from Nashville? We will be heading out from there to TMAC... besides I always like to find new great roads!

see if this link works https://www.google.com/maps/dir/35.7115979,-85.6994015/35.5123552,-84.7951477/@35.5854961,-85.2765686,11z/data=!4m9!4m8!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d-85.2037894!2d35.6485893!3s0x8860b75925fdf023:0x6de90be4e7c7d401!1m0!3e0

...haven't found a better way to get there but the road goes from McMinnville to Dayton...Hwy 30 and was suggested to me by a classmate in Nashville who was from the area.

• Member Contributer

Nice! Thanks CC... I had mapped that road as part of my route to TMAC when I lived in TN but I got a new job, transferred, and never got a chance to ride it... good to know, I'll keep that one in my pocket for future use!

• Member Contributer

No problem it dropped us out in Athens where we took 310? or something over to Tellico Plains and then rode the Cherohala up to the NC state line and turned and headed down 68/60 to home.

• Member Contributer

I would love to do it. Where in NY, Poughkeepsie? I will have to see if the funding is available....

• Member Contributer

I would love to do it. Where in NY, Poughkeepsie? I will have to see if the funding is available....

I have taught there, but no, the classes I have scheduled are up here in Watertown, 30 minutes off the canadian Border, 60 minutes North of Syracuse

No classes in Georgia? Damn........ :mad: I've got the book, but never been able to make it to a class.

You should have ridden up with the other guys and gals to the most recent classes!

• Member Contributer

Crud. Was hoping for more local. Been to Ft. Drum a number of times (former infantry)

No classes in Georgia? Damn........ :mad: I've got the book, but never been able to make it to a class.

You should have ridden up with the other guys and gals to the most recent classes!

Hanging out with the Carver clan would have been icing on the cake for the class, but I had other commitments that I couldn't change.

Well there is always the fall! I plan to be back in Nashville in October, More perfect riding weather! make your plans now!

When will that be added to the schedule? I don't currently see it listed.

• Member Contributer

The Spring Classes in kentucky and Nashville went so well that Bill at Balanced Dynamics Motorcycle Training Center Has asked me to make the trip back in July for Classes on July 12th and 13th. So if anyone is interested I will be there to Do Classes! Should be a great time so sign up ealry as I need to make my plans, it is an 800 mile ride each way for me!

Archived