Total Control Advanced Riding Clinics

OutlawsJustice

• Member Contributer

OJ et al,

I am looking for something I read and wonder if it rings a bell. I think it was in one of the preeminent sport bike books by Code or Condon or such. I actually took notes, but in what I consider a grave sin, I lost the notes.

The topic was chicanes or multiple linked turns. It read something like: "The fastest route through multiple turns is different from the fastest route through each individual turns." I think it showed diagrams of how one would handle each turn individually, and then it showed the correct path for linking all of those same turns.

I read back through Total Control 2, and while it touched on this, it was not as detailed as the article I am remembering. I cannot get my hands on TC1 and wonder if it was in there, or maybe something else?

Alternatively, if you know of samples diagrams illustrating this concept, I would be grateful if you could point me to a resource.

I will see what I can find. I have most of the books you mentioned.

• 6 months later...
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I am contemplating taking the Total Control class(es) this year and have a couple questions for anyone in the know:

1) Would the Level 1 class be too advanced and race-oriented for a casual rider with, say, 15,000 miles of riding experience but no track time or formal training?

2) Would you recommend a period of reflection and practice between the Level 1 and Level 2 classes, or would you recommend taking them back-to-back on the same weekend?

• Member Contributer
10 minutes ago, RobF said:

I am contemplating taking the Total Control class(es) this year and have a couple questions for anyone in the know:

1) Would the Level 1 class be too advanced and race-oriented for a casual rider with, say, 15,000 miles of riding experience but no track time or formal training?

2) Would you recommend a period of reflection and practice between the Level 1 and Level 2 classes, or would you recommend taking them back-to-back on the same weekend?

1. You are the target audience for the Total Control Level I class. The class will give you many great skills to help make you a better and more skilled rider, Check put some of the reviews from members here and on other forums.

2. Personally if it was me I would Take the Level I and then ride and practice for awhile prior to taking level II. You can do them back to back and I know Corner Carver and Family took them with a one day break in-between. That can work but it really comes down to you as a student and how you digest and learn, How much you can absorb etc.

• Member Contributer
On 5/12/2016 at 10:42 PM, RobF said:

Rob, Good questions all.  Full disclosure, I have recently completed the Total Control Instructor training...

Total Control requires that you have 3,000 miles on a bike before attending the class.  It is not too advanced and since it is conducted in a parking lot (on a painted range for the drills) it is definitely not too race oriented. 

I did the class with my two sons a few years ago and we had one day between Level 1 and Level 2 as the Level 2 class the day following our Level 1 was sold out before we registered.  It worked out okay because we spent the off day exploring from our Nashville area hotel north into Kentucky and critiquing each other via the blue tooth on our learnings from previous day.  If you have partner to share the off day with exploring I would recommend taking a day between if schedule permits,

That being said, the Total Control Solo range course that is set up to bring it all together at the end of day 2 is the most fun I have had in a parking lot since prom night (and that was a loooong time ago).

Get the book and read up before attending and you will get much more from the class than if you go in cold.

PM me if you have additional questions. 

• Member Contributer

I see David responded while I was drafting my response....I agree that it depends on how much you can absorb when learning and I would only take both classes the same week if I had read the book a couple of times and was ready to apply the principals.

If you don't read the book first you will get as much from the class as you can put into and absorb over the period of the day.

• Member Contributer

I really enjoyed the class and found it very good for the everyday street rider. In fact fellow VFRD member Mk2Davis was in the same class. We had a blast!

• Member Contributer

I pulled the trigger on this and signed up for the Level 1 class on September 10 with Puget Sound Safety in Olympia.

https://pugetsoundsafety.com/riding/street/tct

If any other VFRD folks in the OR/WA area have been thinking of doing something similar, but were waiting for at least one guy who was older and/or slower than them to sign up, don't miss this opportunity. I'll be there.

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, RobF said:

I pulled the trigger on this and signed up for the Level 1 class on September 10 with Puget Sound Safety in Olympia.

If any other VFRD folks in the OR/WA area have been thinking of doing something similar, but were waiting for at least one guy who was older and/or slower than them to sign up, don't miss this opportunity. I'll be there.

Let me know how it goes, I will be up there later this year myself.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Cornercarver Will you be running any classes in the Atlanta area?? Would love to take a class but VA. and TN. are to far away for me in FL. Unless you can recommend other training in my area. Thanks. 

• Member Contributer
13 hours ago, OutlawsJustice said:

If anyone is interested I will personally be teaching a Total Control Level I in Camarillo CA on July 23rd. Still a couple spots of open if anyone is in the region.

You can find the link to register for the class here  http://www.totalcontroltraining.net/HTML/Schedule.html

I have already taken the course but maybe I can stop by and say hello, if that's allowed?

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Duc2V4 said:

I have already taken the course but maybe I can stop by and say hello, if that's allowed?

I always love to have everyone stop by classes to say hello! This site might be a little challenging as it is on the air field so access is limited. 

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 5/15/2016 at 10:15 AM, RobF said:

This was a week or two ago, so I thought I'd offer some thoughts on the experience.

First the demographics:

• 1 instructor
  • 7 students (6 male, 1 female)
  • Median age: 50?

Now the motographics:

2 adventure

• Triumph Tiger
  • DLR 650

1 cruiser

• Honda Rebel

2 touring

• Goldwing
  • Full dress Harley

1 sport touring

• VFR 800

2 sport

• Hayabusa
  • Panigale

Great mix of bikes! The class ran from 9am to 7pm and was based on Lee Parks' "Total Control" book.

https://www.amazon.com/Total-Control-Performance-Street-Techniques/dp/0760314039

The format was roughly three blocks of 1.5 hours in the classroom then 1.5 hours on the "range" (i.e. a 100-yard by 50-yard section of the Target back lot).

The focus of the day was cornering, mostly:

• throttle control
  • body position
  • looking for turn-in markers and then through the turn
  • decisive turn-in

The instructor was extremely competent, knowledgeable and enthusiastic.

So, the big question: Was it worth it?

Tuition was $325, I think, but I couldn't just commute to Olympia from here, so I had to spring for a couple nights lodging which put me closer to $600 all-in. I was the only overnighter in the class. Still, I think the Total Control class was a good midway point between casual riding and track riding. There are no secrets revealed that you can't pick up from the book (or the Keith Code videos, or Nick Ienatch's book), but it's extremely helpful to have a knowledgeable coach watch your actual technique and give you instant feedback. This kind of skills test, is for me anyway, a useful corrective to just riding on my own and hoping/believing that I'm doing the right things. It was interesting to see how frequently even high-mileage veteran riders are not completely comfortable with our cornering skills. It's very easy as a motorcyclist to reach a muddle-through plateau that is "good enough" and then remain there for a long time. I don't know that I was "measurably better" at the end of the day, but I did come away with a firmer sense of the specific skills I want to continue practicing and improving. I have a better sense now of what "correct" feels like.

I wish these classes were offered closer to home, so I could save the travel and lodging expense. If this class is offered within commuting distance of you then I think the cost/benefit is very favorable for a casual rider looking to improve his competency, although local quality may vary. 

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I am heading up to Santa Rosa CA. this week to teach the first class that will be help there. If anyone is in that region and wants to get into the class this is a great chance and I will personally be teaching the class. Can't take the VFR this week, need to clean the carbs, But next time watch out!

This is a great site with amazing surface and traction so come out and lets work to improve your skills!

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, OutlawsJustice said:

I am heading up to Santa Rosa CA. this week to teach the first class that will be help there. If anyone is in that region and wants to get into the class this is a great chance and I will personally be teaching the class. Can't take the VFR this week, need to clean the carbs, But next time watch out!

This is a great site with amazing surface and traction so come out and lets work to improve your skills!

I can't make it but we should have a Carver there. :wink:

Seriously good class and look forward to our chance to work together soon.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, CornerCarver said:

I can't make it but we should have a Carver there. :wink:

Seriously good class and look forward to our chance to work together soon.

Is Stephen back here from the Holidays? If So I want to make sure he is there!

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, OutlawsJustice said:

Is Stephen back here from the Holidays? If So I want to make sure he is there!

He flies back Wednesday.  He will reach out to you.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

We have some classes on the Total Control Web Site, and hopefully I can announce the Nashville dates (planned for July) this week. I am hoping you can come and teach with me Keith?? We also have a special one day event in Colorado Springs in June if anyone is in that region. and I will be teaching at a few sites in California in April!

Archived