How To - Upper Cowl Removal On 5Th Gen

zoomzoom

• Member Contributer

As the title suggests I thought I might do up a thread on how to remove the upper cowl section on a 5th gen (98-2001) VFR800. There were a few maintenance items that I wanted to get looked after (needed to change a turn signal bulb, a headlight bulb and I am adding some LED instrument cluster lamps) and I had noticed a few other members post question in the last little while about how to change the dash lights and headlights and how to remove the upper cowl to do so. The owners manual does not do a great job of this, and while the Honda Factory Service Manual does a detailed description, not everybody has one.

Here we go. First off, which tools would be required you might ask?? Most of the tools required should be in the tool kit that came with the bike, but here is a list.

1. 5mm Allen Key - should be one in the tool kit of the bike
  2. 10mm Socket, extension, and ratchet handle (the 10 mm box end wrench in the tool kit would also suffice but may take longer)
  3. Phillips head screwdriver - one stubby one comes handy for the harder to reach areas around the fender
  4. A dish of some sort to put all the clips, bolts, screws, and band-aids in. (OK, the band aids are not required unless assistant is accident prone)

Well that was easy, what could be simpler than a job that only requires 3 different tools?? Right?? That may very well depend on whether or not you have an assistant. My assistant for this task is my 6 year old son Liam. He is a great help, though very inquisitive, and thus, this job WILL, or likely will not, take you longer than myself. Liam loves to ask questions and he has an absolute NEED to know exactly why I do EVERYTHING I do when working on the bike. Thus, things take a bit longer when you play 20 (or 300) questions. Working on the bike is what my son likes to call his "Daddy Time". God I love the little guy, he is such a fantastic helper.

Step one - Secure the Bike

Place the bike on the center stand (if you have one) as this will make the bike a bit more stable when you have to move the front wheel from side to side. It is also very helpful when your assistant wants to pretend to be Ricky Racer and make motorcycle noises. Nothing worse than trying to unscrew stuff when the bike is rocking all over the place.

Step Two - Remove the Mirrors

This step is relatively straight forward. Using the 5mm allen wrench (I have a T-Handle set of wrenches that come in really handy for this and being bright orange, they are really hard to lose) remove the two allen head screws attaching the mirror bases to the upper cowl stay.

post-25028-0-05853700-1431884036.jpg

post-25028-0-29326600-1431884263.jpg

Step Three - Remove the Inner Windscreen Trim Covers

Inside the windscreen are two black trim pieces that are attached to the inside of the upper cowl stay. Remove the one phillips head screw from the end of the plastic trim and then pivot away from the screen and remove. Behind these trim panels is a screw on either side of the top of the instrument cluster bezel that threads in to the back of the upper cowl. These two screws must also be removed.

post-25028-0-08816500-1431884075.jpg

post-25028-0-29509300-1431884112.jpg

post-25028-0-91887800-1431884149.jpg

Step Four - Windscreen Removal

In order to remove the windscreen you will need to remove the two phillips head screws that are under the mirror bases. These screws secure the upper cowl to the mirror supports of the upper cowl stay. These screws may or may not actually be installed so if they are not there not to worry. Once these screws have been removed you can gently pry back the upper cowl near the end of the mirrors and lift the windscreen to remove it from the small posts on the stay that the windscreen holes slot in to. Once the windscreen is released from the upper cowl stay posts, gently pry up and back on the windscreen to release the positioning tabs on the lower portion of the windscreen that slot in to the upper cowl.

post-25028-0-29326600-1431884263.jpg

post-25028-0-77864700-1431884299.jpg

post-25028-0-65239400-1431884338.jpg

Step Five - Unplug the headlights

You can do this first, last or whenever but they must be unplugged at some point, and better now than when you try to remove the upper cowl later and risk dropping it when you have forgotten the connector leads are still attached. Ask me how I figured this one out.............. Gently push the connector in toward the headlight and squeeze the two locking tabs on either side of the connector to remove. If you turn the bars toward the headlight you are trying to disconnect, you will have more room for your hands. This may seem self evident but surprisingly it just isn't if you're like me and like to do things the hard way. Never underestimate the intelligence of a 6 year old. They are chalk full of useful information such as, "Daddy, wouldn't it be easier if you turned the handle bars to that side, your hand would fit better." Gotta love the way his mind works, and apparently mine, ................well, .................doth not, apparently.

post-25028-0-62521800-1431884188.jpg

post-25028-0-47312300-1431884225.jpg

Step Six - Retainer Clip and Front Turn Signal Removal

Remove the two plastic retainer clips that secure the upper cowl to the exhaust cowl cover (not really sure what this piece is called but the one in behind the wheel). The clips used require a phillips screwdriver and you turn them a half turn counter-clockwise and the center should pop out. If not, try holding the edge of the clip with you finger while turning the center with the screwdriver. One trick I have had success with is turning the wheel to the opposite side of the clip you are trying to remove to give you more room for the screwdriver. Another tip would be to use a phillips screw bit without the holder (just the bit between your fingers) as the clips are not usually that tight. Once the clip releases just pull it straight out. You can also undo the phillips screw that secures the front turn signal.

post-25028-0-12850200-1431884535.jpg

post-25028-0-80991300-1431884573.jpg

post-25028-0-64964800-1431884610.jpg

post-25028-0-67678700-1431884646.jpg

You may notice that the upper clips on my bike (just under the headlight area) are a different style clip. These are not factory clips but ones that I have replaced as the factory ones were broken. They are trunk trim panel retainer clips that I sourced from my Mazda Protege a long time ago. They were available from my local auto parts store and they work sooooo much better. I have not replaced all the clips yet but I will when they break.

To remove the turn signal from the upper cowl you need to gently pull the front of the turn signal outward until you can just see the arm that the screw attaches to. Once it just clears the fairing pull (or push) the turn signal toward the front of the bike to release the tab at the back of the turn signal. Do NOT pull it straight toward you at the back or you may crack the fairing or break the tab off the rear of the turn signal. Squeeze the tab on the electrical connector to remove it from the turn signal assembly and set aside.

post-25028-0-42752600-1431884685.jpg

post-25028-0-32199100-1431884722.jpg

post-25028-0-72743900-1431884758.jpg

Step Seven - Remove the Allen head bolts securing the upper cowl.

Using the 5mm allen key, remove the 3 allen head screws that secure the side of the upper cowl to the lower cowl. Since I was going to change the instrument panel lights and replace them with LED's, I also removed the 4 allen head screws that secure the instrument cluster bezel to the top of the lower cowls. With these removed, you can undo the 3 nuts that secure the gauge cluster to the upper cowl stay to give you room pivot the cluster forward a bit while removing the bulb sockets and bulbs.

post-25028-0-45401800-1431884375.jpg

post-25028-0-44905300-1431884499.jpg

Gently pull the upper cowl mirror away from the mirror supports just to make sure they are still released from the mirror posts. Using the holes for the turn signals (once again the 6 year old has the mind of an engineer and is full of great ideas), grasp the upper cowl and gently pull it away from the bike.

post-25028-0-26849800-1431884795.jpg

post-25028-0-64004900-1431884832.jpg

post-25028-0-91181800-1431884885.jpg

post-25028-0-49503000-1431884923.jpg

post-25028-0-27068900-1431884963.jpg

This is where you have hopefully remembered to unplug the headlights as it is a PIA to do when you have the cowl hanging in mid air resting on some unnamed body part while you attempt to fumble blindly with the connector that will now appear to be welded in place. Note to self (and others): The upper cowl can feel ridiculously heavy when hunched over and trying to madly unplug the headlights connectors, possibly causing back strain and undo stress to younger children within ear shot due to the abnormal, and uncontrollable, amount of swearing that may take place.

Step Eight - Time for Celebration

You should now have a pile of parts and/or assemblies sitting on the ground, a blanket, shelf, workbench, etc etc etc. that vaguely resembles the ones shown here. Note: Color, condition and placement may vary greatly depending on numerous factors. LOL.

post-25028-0-59191100-1431885002.jpg

Congratulations, HOORAH, you are almost half way there. Time for a beverage. WARNING!!!! Alcohol being consumed during the process of removal may be detrimental to the condition of the fairing parts being removed. For GAWDS sake, Save the cowl, drink the beer when you finish putting the bike back together. JUST SAYIN..................

Step Nine - Replacement of Extraneous BITS

You are now free to replace any pieces that may have required the removal of this piece of your motorcycle. This list may include but is not limited to:

1. Headlight Bulbs
  2. Instrument Panel and lights
  3. Relays
  4. Wiring various farkles
  5. Cleaning and waxing the frame and upper cowl stay and general cleansing of areas otherwise not visible (OK, OK, I may be one of the few to remove the upper cowl for this reason but heh, there were other reasons)

One of the tasks I wished to complete during this process was to swap in some new LED's for the standard wedge bulbs (194 wedge bulbs) in the gauge cluster lights for the LCD information display, the coolant and fuel gauge, and the speedometer and tachometer. I purchased the LED's for the gauge cluster from a company called SuperbrightLEDs. The bulbs are a replacement for a standard 194 wedge bulb and they have a large selection of types, sizes, colors and prices. Here is a link to their website. The company was great to deal with and the bulbs were at my door within a week.

post-25028-0-96816200-1431885698.jpg

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-5-smd-led-wide-angle-wedge-base/206/

There are three 10mm nuts on the back of the gauge cluster that can be removed to help with removing the bulbs from the back of the cluster. With these three nuts removed you can pivot the gauge cluster away from the upper cowl support stay so that you have more room to remove the bulb sockets from the back of the gauge cluster.

post-25028-0-40771000-1431885550.jpg

post-25028-0-81517200-1431885587.jpg

post-25028-0-99324200-1431885626.jpg

post-25028-0-25453400-1431885663.jpg

The ones you need to remove are the 5 orange colored bulb sockets. The two blue ones are the turn signals and the orange ones are for the gauges. To remove the bulbs twist the bulb socket counter clockwise about a quarter turn and then pull back away from the cluster. When you re-install the bulbs remember that the LED's are not polarized bulbs meaning that they will only work if installed the right way. Once you have changed all the bulbs turn the ignition switch to the on position and cover the instrument panel with a towel to make it somewhat dark. If any area of the gauges is not lit up, turn the ignition off and then take out the appropriate wedge bulb socket and rotate it 180 degrees and re-insert it. This should solve the problem and then test again. I rolled the bike in to the garage and turned out the lights and when looking at the back of the gauge cluster it was really apparent which bulbs were working and which were not because you could see a small halo of light around the base of each bulb socket. Once they are all working, push the gauges cluster posts back in to the rubber grommets in the cowl stay and re-install the nuts.

I did take some photos of the gauges lit up in the dark but the pictures did not show up very well, but this is a photo of the gauges lit up in the daylight. As you can see the red LED's illuminate the LCD display very well. The red LED's don't show up exremely well in the daylight behind the gauges, but though they do show up fairly well in the dark. I may think about changing out the speedo and tach LED's in the future for some blue ones when I go to change the instrument bulbs on my wife's 96 VFR750.

post-25028-0-77226800-1431885735.jpg

Step Ten - Re-Install the Upper Cowl

Installation is the reverse of the removal process. One thing I would caution is that when re-attaching the upper cowl, be sure to line up the positioning pins on the back of the headlight housing with the corresponding rubber grommet holes in the upper cowl stay and gently push the cowl back in to position. They can be hard to see but if you don't get them in the right spot, believe me when I say, NOTHING WILL LINE UP. First thing to re-attach might be the screws that attach the upper cowl to the mirror supports of the upper cowl stay (the ones that go under the mirror bases). These will easily hold the upper cowl in place while you fiddle around with everything else. The other useful tidbit of information I can offer is to make sure that upper cowl is positioned so that the exhaust cowl cover is behind the lip of the upper cowl as shown in the picture BEFORE you start to screw everything back together. It is very difficult to re-orient this joint once everything is screwed back together.

The picture below is with the pieces oriented incorrectly.

post-25028-0-20070400-1431885042.jpg

The following picture shows the two pieces lined up properly.

post-25028-0-60577900-1431885079.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks for this, I will be doing this soon!

Hope you find it useful. I had noticed a while ago that the thread was devoid of information so this morning I spent a bit of time putting the How To part back in the thread. Not sure where the info disappeared to in cyberspace but......................

If I recall reading correctly you were considering some LED headlights as well, correct?? If so what brand did you choose??

hate to spoil your party, but i've managed to replace all the dash bulbs with LED's in my bike without wasting 3 hours having to remove the upper cowl

i just loosened the inner black cowl thats around the dash and managed to slip my hand behind it and remove the bulbs in less than 30 mins :D

Thanks for this, I will be doing this soon!

Hope you find it useful. I had noticed a while ago that the thread was devoid of information so this morning I spent a bit of time putting the How To part back in the thread. Not sure where the info disappeared to in cyberspace but......................

If I recall reading correctly you were considering some LED headlights as well, correct?? If so what brand did you choose??

Ordering them tonight and hopefully will be able to get them in before tmac, going with lifetimeled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

No need to unscrew the turn indicators, just disconnect them from the loom.

I would have to agree that you don't need to unscrew and remove the turn indicators, but part of the reason I have suggested doing so is that it helps provide an open hole on either side of the upper cowl to grab on to while you pull the cowl away from the bike. With the turn signals still screwed in place you would have to hold the cowl while attempting to unplug the turn signals from the loom while trying to prevent dropping the cowl. With another person to help this could easily be done but if you're removing the upper cowl on your own the extra time spent removing the signals makes the process a little less awkward.

I feel it safe to say that we're the cowl to drop to the ground, or fall on top of the fender and scratch either one, both, or worse crack either/both, well, let's just say at my house a few stray BAD comments might be uttered. Oh, and my son would have immediately run in to the house to grab the "Swear Jar", knowing full well that his college education was about to be fully funded in one incident. LOL.

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer
On 27/05/2015 at 6:43 AM, zoomzoom said:

I would have to agree that you don't need to unscrew and remove the turn indicators, but part of the reason I have suggested doing so is that it helps provide an open hole on either side of the upper cowl to grab on to while you pull the cowl away from the bike. With the turn signals still screwed in place you would have to hold the cowl while attempting to unplug the turn signals from the loom while trying to prevent dropping the cowl. With another person to help this could easily be done but if you're removing the upper cowl on your own the extra time spent removing the signals makes the process a little less awkward.

I feel it safe to say that we're the cowl to drop to the ground, or fall on top of the fender and scratch either one, both, or worse crack either/both, well, let's just say at my house a few stray BAD comments might be uttered. Oh, and my son would have immediately run in to the house to grab the "Swear Jar", knowing full well that his college education was about to be fully funded in one incident. LOL.

This thread was perfectly timed & saved me sometime as I had not removed the front cowl for a few years as witnessed by the dust behind there !

Regarding holding the cowl whilst plugging or unplugging conectors, I just uses a thick rag or old towl over the front mudguar & lower the cowl on to it, its then easy to unclip all the leads & lift it away.

YMMV

• 1 year later...
  • Member Contributer

Well I pretty much followed ZZs directions to the letter and they worked.  The only thing I would add is really move your fingers as close to the rubber boot as possible when pushing hard on the release fittings for the headlight electrical connectors. 

Oh yea after a test ride I saw this white connector hanging down.  What is that.....everything seemed to be working?

medium.DSCN2849.JPG.d43d0b4c00b5a8c9c93a

I had to take off the cowl after 19 years!  Had some issues with fuel and temp gages so I did an inspection and perhaps a repair/fix plus I replaced my original H-4s (WOW and still working) with some LEDs.  More on that in another thread.

Pretty handy to have this forum..........thanks again.  Have to send in another donation!

• Member Contributer
On 1/11/2018 at 2:49 PM, BonusVFR said:

Well I pretty much followed ZZs directions to the letter and they worked.  The only thing I would add is really move your fingers as close to the rubber boot as possible when pushing hard on the release fittings for the headlight electrical connectors. 

Oh yea after a test ride I saw this white connector hanging down.  What is that.....everything seemed to be working?

medium.DSCN2849.JPG.d43d0b4c00b5a8c9c93a

I had to take off the cowl after 19 years!  Had some issues with fuel and temp gages so I did an inspection and perhaps a repair/fix plus I replaced my original H-4s (WOW and still working) with some LEDs.  More on that in another thread.

Pretty handy to have this forum..........thanks again.  Have to send in another donation!

If your LED replacement headlights have a power supply connector and cooling fans, perhaps this is the connector for the cooling fan on your bulbs.  Mine have a connector for the bulb which screws together and the cooling fan has a separate connector which looks very similar to the one you show in the photo.  Just a thought ???

Not sure where all the photos from this thread disappeared to.  I had reloaded them a while ago, and they appear to have vanished again.  LOL

• Member Contributer

No the connector is not associated with my LEDs as I do not have a fan with that install setup.  

Maybe a legacy power plug for OEM Heated Grips?  Everything still seems to be working so I guess I am OK???? But would still like to confirm what the white plug is.  I looked at the wiring diagram but the only thing I got out of that effort was a headache!

AFAIK the only things that come down that way are the brake and clutch lines (and it isn't those), horn wiring (and it looks like those wires are in place) and the cooling fan multi plug (which is black). May sound silly but have you tried tracing the wire back up into the fairing? It looks like it's an old accessory of some kind. The only thing I'd say is that loose wires, cables and connectors dangling about all over the place are never a good thing. That one looks like it could foul the cooling fan. If it was me I'd trace it back and if isn't needed, get rid of it.

• Member Contributer
51 minutes ago, M1962 said:

AFAIK the only things that come down that way are the brake and clutch lines (and it isn't those), horn wiring (and it looks like those wires are in place) and the cooling fan multi plug (which is black). May sound silly but have you tried tracing the wire back up into the fairing? It looks like it's an old accessory of some kind. The only thing I'd say is that loose wires, cables and connectors dangling about all over the place are never a good thing. That one looks like it could foul the cooling fan. If it was me I'd trace it back and if isn't needed, get rid of it.

I did trace it back but it went into a black hole.  Could not find a male connection point on the Instrument Cluster.

medium.DSCN2821.JPG.1e010491e6a30b91d39b

May have to pull the tank to track the source.  This plug for sure is an OEM style connector and I am only one to fit aftermarket electrical stuff in 19 years so it is nothing I have done.  My added wiring all goes to Aux fuse box under the seat for GPS, volt, aftermarket Heated grips, and radar detector.

• Member Contributer

The Wire goes under the upper cowl and up under the instrument Cluster and through to the left side fairing and then exits to the black hole under the tank.  I would have to take off the left fairing to see better.

Here is a picture I snapped over 10 years ago when I was installing my heated grips. The mystery wire runs through a bracket under the green thingy and then goes under the tank somewhere?  May have to pull the fairing and tank to trace to the end.

gallery_2144_2760_129915.jpg

Archived