Would You Still Ride If You Had To Take Blood Thinners

emoyer

Riding On Blood Thinners  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Would you keep riding if you had to take blood thinners?

• Member Contributer

Back to emoyer…. so you ask a bunch of motorcycle nuts, specifically VFR nuts, about whether to stop riding if you are on blood thinners (those OTC blood thinners suggested by those clowns Switchblade and Dutchy notwithstanding :beer: ).

Results look pretty unanimous. Talk about stacking the deck. :tongue:

Back to emoyer…. so you ask a bunch of motorcycle nuts, specifically VFR nuts, about whether to stop riding if you are on blood thinners (those OTC blood thinners suggested by those clowns Switchblade and Dutchy notwithstanding :beer: ).

Ah but to the rest of the world we are the risk takers anyway. If you ride a bike you are willing to take a certain amount of risk. The squids do it blindly. Most riders here take the risk with at least some thought of mitigating the risk or result.

• Member Contributer

LOL. Yes, I recognize the nature of the sample group. But, as mentioned above, VFR riders tend to be a circumspect bunch, and I needed the opinions of fellow riders because, going just by what one nurse practitioner said, I was leaning the other way, and people here have made some good points. We will see. But I actually am a little surprised that it was unanimous.

Anyway, I want to thank everyone for their input. It helps a lot.

• Member Contributer

Had a stroke 6 yrs ago, ( that Dr. said wouldn't have happened if I was taking 81mg aspirin every day ) that took out my rt. ociptical lobe, therefore I don't have any left peripheral vision and am now taking my aspirin daily, and yes I still ride. I had to adjust were I look( I now look @ the limit line on left side of road and scan continuously and ride on backroads mainly). My Dr. doesn't really like me riding or using high speed cutting tools(chainsaws, table saws, skill saws etc.),but have been doing so for the last 6 yrs and go through @ least 3 sets of tires/yr. Do what makes You Feel Fulfilled if your willing to accept the risks. I still ski approx 80 days a year and the risk of a collision is way higher on the ski hill(more moving targets) and the speeds are similar. Tree skiing is the safest in that they don't move between scans and my ski buds know not to try to pass me on the left. Skied 6 of the last 7 days and will probably go for a short ride today. LIVE LIFE ALWAYS

• Member Contributer

Had a stroke 6 yrs ago, ( that Dr. said wouldn't have happened if I was taking 81mg aspirin every day ) that took out my rt. ociptical lobe, therefore I don't have any left peripheral vision and am now taking my aspirin daily, and yes I still ride. I had to adjust were I look( I now look @ the limit line on left side of road and scan continuously and ride on backroads mainly). My Dr. doesn't really like me riding or using high speed cutting tools(chainsaws, table saws, skill saws etc.),but have been doing so for the last 6 yrs and go through @ least 3 sets of tires/yr. Do what makes You Feel Fulfilled if your willing to accept the risks. I still ski approx 80 days a year and the risk of a collision is way higher on the ski hill(more moving targets) and the speeds are similar. Tree skiing is the safest in that they don't move between scans and my ski buds know not to try to pass me on the left. Skied 6 of the last 7 days and will probably go for a short ride today. LIVE LIFE ALWAYS

Tahoe ????

• Member Contributer

Ah but to the rest of the world we are the risk takers anyway. If you ride a bike you are willing to take a certain amount of risk. The squids do it blindly. Most riders here take the risk with at least some thought of mitigating the risk or result.

^^This. Every one gets to make their choices based on their circumstances. Right now I have a frozen shoulder - one of the risk factors for post-menopausal, middle-aged women. :rolleyes: However, shoulders freeze, stay frozen, and then thaw. It just takes time. I am off the motorcycles… temporarily.

An acquaintance of mine decided to stop riding recently. I do not know the medical reasons and he does not elaborate. But here's how you quit riding.

That's a wrap.

^^This. Every one gets to make their choices based on their circumstances. Right now I have a frozen shoulder - one of the risk factors for post-menopausal, middle-aged women. :rolleyes: However, shoulders freeze, stay frozen, and then thaw. It just takes time. I am off the motorcycles… temporarily.

An acquaintance of mine decided to stop riding recently. I do not know the medical reasons and he does not elaborate. But here's how you quit riding.

That's a wrap.

Well, that was a bit of a sad read.

But at the same time, he had a good run in life it sounds like,

and was riding up until a couple weeks before he passed on.

All stories and lives come to an end.

I think the lesson is, have fun while you're here. :beer:

I have crashed more times than some of our younger members have had hot dinners. One constant: always in full gear.

The worst bleeding I ever got was when my left glove gave out and I got a 1/4 inch scrape on my left pinkie.

i was on blood thinners, almost lost my arm, almost amputated, nerve damage, blood clotts, ended up shoulder reconstruction and experimental surgury, after a accident on foot. the blood thinners i was told, dont always make you bleed more, i didnt.

and they said not to ride, but i still did.

said if i fall off, with my injuries, ill probably just die and the dr doign the experimental stuff said if i didnt give it up, she wouldnt work on me. so i didnt tell her..

• Member Contributer

That's a wrap.

Sad !!

• Member Contributer

ALS got him, very sad.

OP, I'm reminded of Braveheart. Every man dies, not every man lives. Keep riding. Be hardcore about what you eat, exercise, take care of yourself, and keep hitting those corners. if we can live, and do the things we want (within reason), what's the point of it all?

• Member Contributer

ALS got him, very sad.

OP, I'm reminded of Braveheart. Every man dies, not every man lives. Keep riding. Be hardcore about what you eat, exercise, take care of yourself, and keep hitting those corners. if we can live, and do the things we want (within reason), what's the point of it all?

Thanks. And my thanks again to everyone for their input.

This morning at breakfast I said to my wife (to whom I showed this thread) that based on (a) the first-hand data that geared up people don't usually bleed much, and (b) the fact that if I stopped riding I would probably have to give up my RiderCoach certification, I was thinking I would keep riding even if I have to start taking the med.

She said unhesitatingly that she was okay with that, and that to her mind an even bigger thing was, as many have mentioned, living my life.

I feel good about it.

good stuff, remember its life, you get only one, why roll over the finish line in pristine condition when you can slide across that finish line totally worn out saying that was one hell of a ride...

But I can't shake this picture in my memory of Mel Gibson in a cheap looking leisure? suit stopping at the Rustic Canyon Grocery Grill.

Drove up in a Smart Car. Maybe doing penance for some of his dumbass remarks. :wacko:

Of course I wouldn't have seen this had I not been out for a ride. Ride on, ride safe. :beer:

Archived