Different Ways To Lighten The Vfr800.

Mikesmini080877

I have a cbr600rr 2004 front brake master Cylinder. Its 5/8 bore size should work fine and it matches the clutch master Cylinder in being an integrated type, no piss cup. I saw in another post that someone else used the same caliper/master setup and is really happy with the performance. I've got new wave discs to go on. Genuine honda pads to go with the 954 calipers.

Just in case anyone still reads these older threads, the 5/8" master cylinder is not optimum for those calipers (like from 954) which have 30/32 pistons, same as later radial ones. I usually pair a 14mm master cylinder with the 32/34 calipers of the SP-1 (AND RRW/X 'Blade) and that works REALLY well. The larger 5/8" size master cylinder will just make for slightly harder but less effective brakes. For any of those calipers and you need an integrated reservoir master cylinder, I would recommend 14mm, no larger. The next size down is 1/2" which with the 32/34 calipers is too small (tried that). Far too much lever travel. Not tried it with 30/32 calipers, but I suspect too small for those also.

To be complete, the 929 used a unique 30/34 caliper. I guess they were trying to match it to the 330mm discs, but wasn't necessary and they changed to 30/32 for the 954. Trouble is, all these calipers look the same. You HAVE to measure the pistons to be sure.

The 14mm master cylinder is also available with remote reservoir from many Hondas and then just to confuse the issue there are now the radial master cylinders that have much greater mechanical leverage and so use larger pistons. And to confuse matters further, the SP-1/ SP-2 and 'Blades of that age used a kind of cross between the 2. Non radial but with a different layout to provide the greater mechanical advantage as with the later radials. Thing is, to calculate the optimum master cylinder, you need to know the piston size AND also the leverage ratio of the actual lever. Brembo make master cylinders with an adjustable ratio, by moving the pivot point of the lever, which it handy if you don't know what you want.

Anyway, there's very few radial master cylinders with integral reservoir so if you want that sort of master cylinder, 14mm with any of the SP-1 type or radial calipers will work well to excellent, depending on the exact caliper. Or if you want to keep the original 1/2" master cylinder of the VFR, try some early 'Blade/RC45/Firestorm(SuperHawk) 27mm calipers. I think they'll be ok with a 1/2" master cylinder, but I must stress, I HAVE NOT TRIED THAT. But I do believe it's worth trying if you don't have radial mounts on the forks.

later...

I just calculated that last combo and it would not be a problem, being in fact very close to 14mm with 30/32 calipers. So not as good as 14mm with the 32/34 calipers, but better than VTR, RVT, 'Blades or RC45 as supplied by Honda.

Hope this might help others trying to match brakes.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I changed the brakes on both my VTR1000F (Firestorm/Superhawk) and my 5th Gen VFR, running CBR954 (30/32mm callipers and 17.46mm master) brakes on the VTR, and CBR600F4i brakes on the de-linked VFR (32/34mm callipers, 15.87mm master). I often ride the bikes back-to-back, and in my opinion the 954 set-up is much nicer to use having more feel and less bite, but plenty of power. I find the F4i brakes to be a bit on the fierce side, as they have a much higher mechanical leverage between hand and calliper (smaller master and bigger calliper pistons). I expect the 600 brakes would be better with a larger diameter master cylinder.

I'm guessing that the "17.46mm master" is the original one from the 954 (same as SP-2). These are the crossovers I mentioned. They are not radial but have a similar (if not same) leverage ratio. They are quite different from the normal VFR type ones with integrated reservoir as those use smaller pistons with lower lever ratio. But lever ratio is also somewhat dependent on where you place your hand.

Personally I've never had brakes with too much bite but I like to use one or two finger braking. It's hard to please everyone and Honda does a good job, trying to make the brakes work as well as possible while minimising the chance of locking the wheel. But they have ABS for that now.

Speaking of which, in nearly 50 years riding bikes. I've never ONCE had an occasion when ABS would have helped. But in the last year, my first on an ABS bike I've twice nearly run into the back of something in front of me when the ABS system decided a minor pothole meant it should turn OFF the front brakes for enough time to be scary and nearly cause an accident. With manual brakes I would have allowed for the pothole and pulled up exactly where I wanted to be. I know some riders believe you'll die trying to ride a bike without ABS, but that's not my experience. Given the choice, I wouldn't have it. But soon it'll be a choice we're not allowed to make.

If I rode solo all the time, then I'd lose the centre stand, ... :)

I've been puzzling about this. Why does taking pillion mean you need a centre stand?

As you know, I've tried to persuade you to remove that stand before and I still cannot understand why you don't. For someone who is probably as obsessive as me about weight saving and throwing money at Ti parts (they're just so light and shiny :) why are you still carrying around that hunk of iron?

When you need to lube the chain, put it on a paddock stand. It's the VFR1200 that has a problem with this as you can't use a paddock stand, at least not any common one. My solution when converting mine into the eVo4 was to loosely fit the main stand (just a simple pivot shaft) and then remove it when work's done.

Maybe I'm the only 'main stand hater' :smile:

• Member Contributer

Well you'll be happy to know its gone.

What I meant about a passenger was that they are not very familiar & always bumping in to bikes.

Only time I've had a bike roll off the side stand was when a pillion (or pilock) decided to lean on the bike not understanding that it will roll away from you once the stand weight is reduced. They are much firmer when parked on the centre stand.

Well you'll be happy to know its gone.

They are much firmer when parked on the centre stand.

I'm delighted it's gone. But that loss of weight might mean I won't be able to keep up with you in the twisties, with me on my lardy eVo4. :smile:

But, firmer on the main stand, please, not that old chestnut. Park the bike on any soft ground and the main stand will be useless. As for allowing someone to lean on your bike, well, you only have yourself to blame. :wink:

Archived