6Th Gen Huggers

tbzep

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I'm looking for another hugger after having 2 Red Fox ones split on me.

I repaired the first one with fibre glass on the inside and it then split again in another place.

Thought I'd replace it with a new one.

Well, after 2 months of use, it is now splitting in the same place as the original.

Sorry but I would not recommend these to anyone.

They are a cr@p product.

Think I'm going to try one of the Geelong ones this time.

Phil

I just bought a Harris hugger that looks just like that (very fine quality) and seems to provide as much protection. It was ~$220 (USD) shipped from the UK to the states. That is significantly less expensive then the Geelong...something to consider. Cheers, RRM

• Member Contributer

I had a Pyramid years ago. 'Had' as after several tire changes and a rear shock replacement, it had crumbled down to nothing.

Liked the look of it but the quality was shite

• Member Contributer

I'm looking for another hugger after having 2 Red Fox ones split on me.

I repaired the first one with fibre glass on the inside and it then split again in another place.

Thought I'd replace it with a new one.

Well, after 2 months of use, it is now splitting in the same place as the original.

Sorry but I would not recommend these to anyone.

They are a cr@p product.

Think I'm going to try one of the Geelong ones this time.

Phil

During my research, cracking/splitting has shown to be a significant issue with the Red Fox. IMHO, Harris is the way to go.

• 1 month later...

I went ahead and bought the Powerbronze one since I love the looks of that one by far the most. Found it on Ebay for $94 USD new. US rep says it would fit an ABS version fine, and it does. I got the white one, thinking I would leave it white on my RWB '07 version, or maybe paint it blue to match the lower, but once it got here I bought a can of flexible spray paint in flat black and sprayed it with that. That way, if I didn't like it I could peel it off.

I thought about swapping it for the black or CF-look one, but the white has been discontinued and is selling for about half of the other two colors.

Mounted it up (super easy with tire removal) and the color actually matches the color of the tire, and it sorta disappears. Haven't put any miles at on it it yet since I'm down waiting on Staintune warranty issues, but I really like the way it actually covers the tire, rather than just running along the top of the tire. One LM I spoke to here has had one for 10 years with no cracks or issues, so that sounded great to me.

Once I'm able to get some fotos I'll post them here in case anyone is interested.

Oh yeah...and the OP said the Powerbronze uses zip ties. This is not the case. Only supplied nuts/bolts.

Just dont EVER buy a red fox hugger cos they are a shocking fit, i messed around for three days trying to get it to sit remotely straight, to be fair to myself im not a mechanicbut im handy with the tools and do my own chain changes etc so im not completely inept BUT after 6 phone calls and emailing pics to the guy at Simpson-Detour he just kept telling me i was fitting it wrong

Its 2 bolts and 2 parts, they may have sent the wrong one but in his opinion it was ALL my fault so finally i gave up and modded it to fit which it now does

• Member Contributer

One thing I learned, put some loctite on all those little mounting bolts. Only took a couple months for most of mine to vibrate out.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

med_gallery_14465_7345_1421768.jpg

Here's the crack that's developed in my Power Bronze hugger. I think it's hitting the exhaust under load and full suspension travel. It's got over 22,000 km (13,500 mi) on it so I can't complain really.

Archived