6Th Gen Huggers

tbzep

I have the Skidmarx hugger. Its fit wasn't perfect - but pretty good. I'll be removing it this winter when I do up the SS Brake lines - will see if its cracked at all.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I have the Skidmarx hugger. Its fit wasn't perfect - but pretty good. I'll be removing it this winter when I do up the SS Brake lines - will see if its cracked at all.

It's already -7C up there where you're at....how much more "this winter" does it have to get before you get to work on that bike? :comp13::491:

It's already -7C up there where you're at....how much more "this winter" does it have to get before you get to work on that bike? :comp13::491:
"This winter" lasts a bit longer in some places... 7 months of winter and 3 months of tough sledding in Ken's case. :goofy:

• Member Contributer

"This winter" lasts a bit longer in some places... 7 months of winter and 3 mi ths of tough sledding in Ken's case. :goofy:

Believe me, I know. I rode up there with KanadianKen, Dude, M-Crew, Cbar, and JohnE in the month of June a few years back and my bike's thermometer dropped to the mid 30's Fahrenheit where the wind was blowing off Lake Superior....mid day!!!! :wacko:

• Member Contributer

Thanks, I'm actually shopping for one now. But I want to replace the OEM guard. I sent Skidmarx an email to see what their shipping would be to the states.

Be sure to post it here. If I can still edit it, I'll include it in the original post.

Skidmarx sent me to their US distributor:

Streetfighters By Design

David Cork

Phone-772-597-3207

Email sbd@davidcork.com

www.streetfightersbydesign.com

Cost is $165 Black fiberglass/plastic and $265 carbon fiber. Shipping to CA for me is $15.

I'm going to give the fiberglass one a try.

$265 for the CF from a USA distributor is an interesting price. At the current exchange rate, it only costs $237 direct from Skidmarx. That gives us $43 to play with on shipping to break even. Shipping has been around $20-40 for most of the other hugger brands. If Skidmarx shipping is similar, the US distributor offers no advantage at all. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Thanks, I'm actually shopping for one now. But I want to replace the OEM guard. I sent Skidmarx an email to see what their shipping would be to the states.

Be sure to post it here. If I can still edit it, I'll include it in the original post.

Skidmarx sent me to their US distributor:

Streetfighters By Design

David Cork

Phone-772-597-3207

Email sbd@davidcork.com

www.streetfightersbydesign.com

Cost is $165 Black fiberglass/plastic and $265 carbon fiber. Shipping to CA for me is $15.

I'm going to give the fiberglass one a try.

$265 for the CF from a USA distributor is an interesting price. At the current exchange rate, it only costs $237 direct from Skidmarx. That gives us $43 to play with on shipping to break even. Shipping has been around $20-40 for most of the other hugger brands. If Skidmarx shipping is similar, the US distributor offers no advantage at all. :unsure:

"Skidmarx sent me to their US distributor"

I don't think they ship to the US direct. David, the distributor, is English so when speaking to him you can imagine he's in the UK. :laugh:

I'd bet they don't want to undercut their distributor. So he orders it from them, it comes over in a big container with other stuff. He then ships it to me and with a little luck, voila, 3-4 weeks from now I'll have a box delivered.

• Member Contributer

I don't think they ship to the US direct. David, the distributor, is English so when speaking to him you can imagine he's in the UK. :laugh:

I'd bet they don't want to undercut their distributor. So he orders it from them, it comes over in a big container with other stuff. He then ships it to me and with a little luck, voila, 3-4 weeks from now I'll have a box delivered.

They've already undercut them on item price. Shipping would be the determining factor on the total cost. You'd think the US distributor buying in bulk would be able to keep the item price a little closer to the Skidmarx price in USD. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

They've already undercut them on item price. Shipping would be the determining factor on the total cost. You'd think the US distributor buying in bulk would be able to keep the item price a little closer to the Skidmarx price in USD. :unsure:

Judging by the website and the personal domain, I'd guess this is a small business that doesn't do much bulk buying. He's got to pay shipping from the UK so the base price needs to be higher I assume. $15 shipped from FL to CA is a pretty good deal actually, given the size of the box.

Anyone that has one of these (any brand) and also have an ABS bike? Powerbronze item seems to be my fave, but the PB folks say it won't fit an ABS 6th gen b/c of the battery box? Huh? The fiche shows the battery box is the same part number for ABS and non-ABS versions, so that sounds like rubbish to me. Ready to pull the trigger on it if I have someone here with one or good intel on ABS fitment.

• Member Contributer

Anyone that has one of these (any brand) and also have an ABS bike? Powerbronze item seems to be my fave, but the PB folks say it won't fit an ABS 6th gen b/c of the battery box? Huh? The fiche shows the battery box is the same part number for ABS and non-ABS versions, so that sounds like rubbish to me. Ready to pull the trigger on it if I have someone here with one or good intel on ABS fitment.

Where is the pump on the ABS models ? And is that the difference .

• Member Contributer

Yeh it has to have one somewhere's ...

2_1.png

number 12

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2007-honda-interceptor-800-abs-vfr800a/o/m151011#sch424431

3_1.png

2_1.png

http://d136nqpz68vrmx.cloudfront.net/schematics/dzimages/honda/dzhon010/hj0706036041_files/11/2_0.png

12:
MODULATOR ASSY., ABS
,AC 2AC
683738 Usually ships within 1 to 2 business days $1,229.54 $950.10

• Member Contributer

Typically ABS includes a central electronic control unit (ECU), four wheel speed sensors, and at least two hydraulic valves within the brake hydraulics. The ECU constantly monitors the rotational speed of each wheel; if it detects a wheel rotating significantly slower than the others, a condition indicative of impending wheel lock, it actuates the valves to reduce hydraulic pressure to the brake at the affected wheel, thus reducing the braking force on that wheel; the wheel then turns faster. Conversely, if the ECU detects a wheel turning significantly faster than the others, brake hydraulic pressure to the wheel is increased so the braking force is reapplied, slowing down the wheel. This process is repeated continuously and can be detected by the driver via brake pedal pulsation. Some anti-lock systems can apply or release braking pressure 15 times per second.[17] Because of this, the wheels of cars equipped with ABS are practically impossible to lock even during panic braking in extreme conditions.

The increase in pressure is the pump. Your hand or foot input can stay the same.

Pump The pump in the ABS is used to restore the pressure to the hydraulic brakes after the valves have released it. A signal from the controller will release the valve at the detection of wheel slip. After a valve release the pressure supplied from the user, the pump is used to restore a desired amount of pressure to the braking system. The controller will modulate the pumps status in order to provide the desired amount of pressure and reduce slipping.

• Member Contributer

I've listed a Rivcyko Hugger in the VFRD classifieds (it needs a paint job). PM me if interested.

• Member Contributer

Anyone here have a 6th gen with a hugger on it and care to post a few fotos? I'd love to see how they look. Anyone have the powerbronze one?

Of the seven I posted on the first page, three are mounted on bikes. The Powerbronze I posted on the first page is on a VFR800X. The X's swingarm is identical to the 6th gen, so you will know what it looks like from that. The Red Fox is mounted on a VFRD member's 6th gen. The Skidmarx is on a 5th gen, but the swingarm is nearly identical and the hugger will look the same.

Edit: A google search of VFR800 and Powerbronze will yield you several images of the hugger mounted on a VFR.

Hey guys this what i got today.

The brand says RED FOX, and from what i see in the web simpson-detour is the new owner.

The quality looks great with nice shiny finish and around 3-4 mm thickness.

I paid around 100$ with the shipping. Very happy :cheerleader:

Cant wait to install it tomorrow.

post-28705-0-34579800-1387643690.jpg

post-28705-0-80374400-1387643691.jpg

post-28705-0-54315100-1387643692.jpg

post-28705-0-93329500-1387643510.jpg

post-28705-0-39655100-1387643512.jpg

post-28705-0-00044000-1387643513.jpg

• Member Contributer

I don't know why he said $130, but it will cost about $155 to buy and have it shipped to the USA, as I stated in the original post.

BTW, please post some good shots of both sides after you get it installed.

• Member Contributer

Why 130?

Home Shop News About Us Gallery Links Contact Us CLICK HERE

BUY FOR YOUR BIKE

'Fender-Flicks' Huggers Belly Pans Bulbs Sports Panels Bikini Fairings Mini Twin Lighting Custom Lighting Trail Style Lighting Screen Styling Accessories Clothing Price ListPostage Options

spacer.gif YOUR BASKET

vfr800-vtec-hugger.JPG Product:

Honda VFR800 02> Hugger Quantity:

1 Price:

£80.00

Remove Product » Sub Total: £80.00

shop1.jpg checkout1.jpg spacer.gif

© Simpson Detour. VAT No: 793337107, Address: Unit2, Manor Nurseries, Pagham Road, Chichester, West Sussex, United Kingdom. PO20 1L J, TEL/FAX : UK +44 (0) 1243 771133

Delivery | Terms and Conditions | Privacy Statement | Contact Us

80L = $130 plus shipping !!!

Archived