6Th Gen Huggers

tbzep

• Member Contributer

Here's what I've found while researching huggers for the 6th gen. Hopefully it will help someone decide what they want. Note that exchange rates vary constantly. I saw British Pounds to USD change in the 10 minutes I was doing price conversions. Outside of the Harris and Geelong, fit and finish varied among users. I don't know if this was quality control issues or varying capabilities of installers....or both. UK VFR guys tend to like the Harris and NWS, but there are fans of all the brands listed. Some of our European members should get their hands on all of these and compare fit, stiffness, and finish quality comparison.

Harris: Made in UK. Carbon fiber or Fiberglass. Excellent fit and finish. Very expensive to ship. Does not cover the SSSA or lower link. Total including shipping for CF $317, Fiberglass $262 at current exchange rates.

FRH-VFR800.jpg

Red Fox: Made in UK. ABS. Issues with splitting a few years ago. Not seeing anything now. Don't know if they've remedied the issue. Mounts on top of chain guard. $155 shipped.

Flasher2001's Red Fox

gallery_19336_5227_4805.jpg

Powerbronze: Made in UK. Fiberglass or ABS. Mounts on chain guard. Does not cover SSSA or lower link. Uses zip ties for mounting. $135 including shipping from website. $145 from eBay.

crossrunner-ajpg.JPG

Skidmarx: Made in UK. Carbon Fiber or Fiberglass. Some of the UK VFR forum guys seem to like them, but I didn't find much info. CF $199 plus shipping. Fiberglass $117 plus shipping. (Have to go through checkout to find shipping.)

honda-vfr800-98-01-rear-hugger-cf.jpg

Pyramid: ABS. Made in UK. Covers SSSA and lower link. Uses OEM chain guard. $204 (currently out of stock)

07109B.JPG

NWS: ABS. Now owned by Pyramid but the old NWS design is still offered. Covers SSSA and lower link. Price including shipping $199.

N071121B_NEW%20(Medium).jpg

Geelong: Carbon fiber. Looks very good. Probably on par with Harris. Made in Australia. Does not cover SSSA or lower link. By far the most expensive at $419 plus shipping.

vfr800_rhuse_1__89587.jpg

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I am very happy with my Red Fox. Quick shipping and good customer service. Seems to be doing a good job of keeping crud out of my Ohlins shock so far.

• Member Contributer

I am very happy with my Red Fox. Quick shipping and good customer service. Seems to be doing a good job of keeping crud out of my Ohlins shock so far.

How long and how many miles have you had it? It's very possible that some changes were made to help stop them from splitting.

• Member Contributer

Not that long, maybe about 6 months and a few thousand miles. I have never heard of these having issues, I heard the PB ones were crap actually. Most people on this forum seemed to be happy with the RF.

• Member Contributer

Not that long, maybe about 6 months and a few thousand miles. I have never heard of these having issues, I heard the PB ones were crap actually. Most people on this forum seemed to be happy with the RF.

There aren't a lot of references to Red Fox on this forum. Of course there may be some I haven't found, as Miguel has the search feature exclude words with three letters or less. :mad: I've read more about them on the UK forum. Most of the references are a few years old, which leads me to hope that the splitting problems have been solved. Your updated information is why started this thread, so that we can get up to date hands on experiences of all these huggers in one thread. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Thanks, I'm actually shopping for one now. But I want to replace the OEM guard. I sent Skidmarx an email to see what their shipping would be to the states.

• Member Contributer

I have the Pyramid.. not all that great... I ended up cutting it about in half so it wouldnt flex and hit the tire. With mods, its just ok.

linking up a previous thread......

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/76402-nws-or-pyramid/

• Member Contributer

Thanks, I'm actually shopping for one now. But I want to replace the OEM guard. I sent Skidmarx an email to see what their shipping would be to the states.

Be sure to post it here. If I can still edit it, I'll include it in the original post.

Since installing the Competition Werkes fender kit on my '09, the road debris mainly flings up on the

tail light and inside of the pipes. Once in a while I'll wipe off the little mud flap in front of the rear shock.

Though I've thought of adding a hugger, I don't see how a hugger is going to stop very much when it's

curvature stops at the 12 o'clock position above the tire?

• Member Contributer

Since installing the Competition Werkes fender kit on my '09, the road debris mainly flings up on the

tail light and inside of the pipes. Once in a while I'll wipe off the little mud flap in front of the rear shock.

Though I've thought of adding a hugger, I don't see how a hugger is going to stop very much when it's

They are designed to keep crap from being flung forward into the shock, linkage, and rear cylinder bank.

It's really too bad that Travis stopped making his.

Was that the Al one? I know I've seen an Al one for the VFR.

Travis (rivcyko) made nice fiberglass huggers with integrated chain guards and painted them to match the bike. He also made other fiberglass items such as the bug screen to keep bees and crap from getting sucked under the windscreen into your neck.

• Member Contributer

I've had to repair my Red Fox twice now due to splitting.

The last repair I laid multiple layers of epoxy/fibreglass inside and reinforced with aluminium.

Since doing this it has lasted pretty well but it only took about 3000km for the splitting to occur.

I'm looking for another option currently.

I've had to repair my Red Fox twice now due to splitting.

The last repair I laid multiple layers of epoxy/fibreglass inside and reinforced with aluminium.

Since doing this it has lasted pretty well but it only took about 3000km for the splitting to occur.

I'm looking for another option currently.

Same here although I used a combination of epoxy resin reinforced with duct tape on the inside. IMO the Red Fox hugger is too flimsy

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

They are designed to keep crap from being flung forward into the shock, linkage, and rear cylinder bank.

Imagine how this:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/gallery/image/64987-foto-052jpg/

would have looked like without hugger comparing with these:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/gallery/image/64982-foto-047jpg/

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/gallery/image/64986-foto-051jpg/

I definitely recommend the upgrade to save the shock, linkage, and rear cylinder bank some cleaning & wear.

• Member Contributer

It's really too bad that Travis stopped making his.

I bought one of the last 2 he made. There were a few minor fitment issues initially, but once sorted it's been rock solid - really nice product. I saw one a year or so ago on ebay. The hugger definitely keeps things much cleaner.

• Member Contributer

Be sure to post it here. If I can still edit it, I'll include it in the original post.

Skidmarx sent me to their US distributor:

Streetfighters By Design

David Cork

Phone-772-597-3207

Email sbd@davidcork.com

www.streetfightersbydesign.com

Cost is $165 Black fiberglass/plastic and $265 carbon fiber. Shipping to CA for me is $15.

I'm going to give the fiberglass one a try.

Hi guys, i just ordered one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171167862052?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It is non ABS model (if there is abs model at all), the price i offered was 50 quid and the seller is ok with that.

Looks like a good deal. I hope to get the hugger by the end of nex week, so will keep you posted.

• Member Contributer

$82.00 plus shipping to states.

Hmmmmm not bad ..

Harris wanted about $140 to ship to the USA. If this guy wants something similar it's not a good deal.

To be clear, the Skidmarx is a two piece unit but still looks pretty good replacing the oem chainguard. I think you'll be happy with the final look.

Back in 2012 that same distributor did a group buy for a less than 10qty run with VFRD. Save about $15 or so. Maybe enough to have other members pull the trigger on one.

Skidmarx Chainguard

skidmarx hugger

• Member Contributer

Archived