Out For My Last Ride Of The Season And Look What I Found, Bought, And Just Sold...

tomk1960

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

The PO told me that the valves were adjusted at 3000 miles and that I wouldn't need to touch them. (at 6K now) Well I didn't believe him and every set I've measured so far is .003 - not .006 as the shop manual specifies. Was the spec updated at some point later or are these set much too tight?

• Member Contributer

Too tight.

Thanks, I thought so. I started adjusting them last night and found the nuts to be unbelievably tight as well. I doubt that these valves have ever been adjusted. If they were, the mechanic did them wrong and overtorqued the locknuts as well. All will be well again soon enough...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Well I finally got to spend some quality time working on the VF750 this weekend. The valves are all properly adjusted now. The locknuts were unbelievably tight and I actually broke a 1/4 rachet getting one of them loose. I ended up having to use an impact wrench to break their hold. Every one of them was .003 which makes me wonder if they were ever adjusted after the bike was purchased new. New gaskets and bolt rubbers went back on and the heads are buttoned up. I also installed new NGK plugs and repaced all coolant tube O-rings and seals.

The carbs are completely cleaned and overhauled and the broken plastic fuel T's have been replaced. (PO had tried to remove the carbs AFTER removing the plenum first!)

I have to get the radiator back on, reinstall the carbs and reinstall the alternator cover. (after I finish polishing that cover and clearcoat it first) With vacation coming up this weekend, I won't finish in time, so it will be a couple more weeks before I can fire it up. Once I know it's running fine, I'll replace the leaky fork seals and get some new tires. Can't wait to hear her run!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Last night I replaced the radiator, carbs, and alternator cover. When I got home from work today, I took the bike down off the lift and rolled it out to the edge of the garage with the exhaust pointing out. I refilled the radiator, hooked up a battery and aux. fuel tank, and turned the key. Everything lit up nice and bright and I hit the starter button. Within a couple seconds, she fired right up and was running smoothly in no time. I let the bike warm up good so that the air would work it's way out of the radiator and made sure that the cooling fans came on.

So once again, it's alive. This weekend I'll replace the fork seals and rebuild the dragging rear brake system.

That feeling I get when I start a "new" old bike for the very first time never gets old!

• Member Contributer

I dug into the bike again this afternoon and have the entire front brake system off and cleaned. The calipers are in very nice original condition. The master cylinder is very decent, but not as nice as I would like.

20140817_183619_zps8ziebhz6.jpg

The inside of the MC was incredibly clean, as was the bore. After restoring many disgusting master cylinders, this was a breath of fresh air.

20140817_183700_zpskeisovek.jpg

For the sake of originality, I'm going to fight temptation and NOT powder coat it. Everything will be proprely rebuilt and reassembled, but otherwise left alone.

Next, the forks are coming off for new seals and bushes. The right fork leaks like a sieve. Here's the bike being prepped for surgery.

20140817_180131_zpsgxct5euk.jpg

While the front wheel is off, it will get a new tire. Once the front end is done, I'll rebuild the rear brake system and replace that tire as well. My goal is to have the bike done in time for Rice-O-Rama, which takes place on September 7th. I think I'll have it ready in time.

• Member Contributer

I'm having second thoughts about these master cylinders.

20140818_225814_zps3uenevro.jpg

They look like crap and I really hate to put them back on an otherwise pristine bike, just for the sake of originality. A couple hours' work and I can have them looking new in the correct finish again. I'll have to think about it a little more, but I'm leaning in that direction...

So to the purist the original finish and all the factory inconsistencies are very important. This bike in my opinion, is a collectors bike and I've seen it up close and personal. Once a part is refinished it obviously can't be turned back to factory and I think to some degree, value is lost. Tom, you've done amazing powder coating for me on bikes that I have restored but they started as basket cases and I have resurrected them, point in case my CB900F. I think if a bike can be left in its original unmolested state, it is better. Now if I were going to keep it and never sell it...than who cares what anyone thinks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Then there's the camshaft issue. I wouldnt bother with any of the VF700s

That's ok - it means that there will be more of them for the rest of us. :wink:

Even if this bike had chocolate cams, which it doesn't, I would have no regrets over buying it. There are solutions to the problem when it comes up. Keep the valves properly adjusted, change the oil often, and they run just fine.

Define bother. The beauty of these machines is sometimes the frustration of owning them. The unfinished tool marks and unfounded ideas that somehow made it to the production floors are what make these bikes unique. They don't brake very well, the suspension is terrible, and reliability...forget it. However, once you've corrected the mistakes and rebuilt the old systems, then you begin to understand what they were trying to accomplish way back when. Now after you have stripped it down and every inch is familiar, then you can start it. The ride is visceral and pure. The motorcycle begs to be ridden and needs someone who can make it do what modern bikes do with ease. I’ll be the first to admit that my 83 Interceptor isn’t like the ZX1100, Hayabusa, or 900ss/sp that I’ve owned, but it’s certainly worth the bother.

Define bother.

Bother, as in owning one. That power plant almost killed Honda's v4 platform, and Just because it's quirky doesn't make it worth owning. Like the 2 speed Hondamatics. If I wanted to own a motorcycle Just to work on it constantly, I'd get a Harley.

And you said "once you've corrected". Honda did correct it. It's called the 86

• Member Contributer

Define bother.

Bother, as in owning one. That power plant almost killed Honda's v4 platform, and Just because it's quirky doesn't make it worth owning. Like the 2 speed Hondamatics. If I wanted to own a motorcycle Just to work on it constantly, I'd get a Harley

Perhaps you're new here or are confusing this place with somewhere else but tread lightly my friend. The first gen section is no place for comments on how crappy you think they are. There are many owners here of all gens that spend a fair amount of time working on their bikes, either on mods or maintenance. It's part of the hobby. Tom does amazing work with older bikes and I'm pretty sure he's never bought a bike "just to work on it". He likes riding them as well. Old bikes, old cars, old houses, etc. deserve special custodians and clearly you are not one. That's cool...it's not for everyone but please refrain from adding comments like that in a thread started to showcase a beautiful classic.

Define bother.
Bother, as in owning one. That power plant almost killed Honda's v4 platform, and Just because it's quirky doesn't make it worth owning. Like the 2 speed Hondamatics. If I wanted to own a motorcycle Just to work on it constantly, I'd get a Harley

Perhaps you're new here or are confusing this place with somewhere else but tread lightly my friend. The first gen section is no place for comments on how crappy you think they are. There are many owners here of all gens that spend a fair amount of time working on their bikes, either on mods or maintenance. It's part of the hobby. Tom does amazing work with older bikes and I'm pretty sure he's never bought a bike "just to work on it". He likes riding them as well. Old bikes, old cars, old houses, etc. deserve special custodians and clearly you are not one. That's cool...it's not for everyone but please refrain from adding comments like that in a thread started to showcase a beautiful classic.

I'm not discounting anyone's work. My original comment was merely reflecting the find of a half taken apart bike that was left to sit. I would suspect something was amiss that the seller would not necessarily be forthcoming about. Especially for a model with widely documented engine problems

• Member Contributer
I'm not discounting anyone's work. My original comment was merely reflecting the find of a half taken apart bike that was left to sit. I would suspect something was amiss that the seller would not necessarily be forthcoming about. Especially for a model with widely documented engine problems

Every bike in my garage, except for my Vulcan 1500, (that I bought new) was "left to sit" before I found it. Some sat for a couple years, others for much longer. I bet at least half the guys here with first gen VF's will tell you the same thing about their bikes. Something was amiss with all of mine - mostly gummed up carbs and dragging brakes, bad fork seals, etc. This one sat too long and the carbs gummed up. Then the PO did the wrong thing - he removed the plenum and tried lifting out the carbs and broke 3 of of 4 plastic tubes. At that point, he gave up and put it in storage. He did the smart thing and removed the bodywork, putting it out of the way so that it wouldn't get dented, scratched, or broken. It took me all of 15 minutes to put it all back on for a photo op. Then it came off again so that I could dig in and get the bike running again.

Every bike in my garage is registered and ridden regularly. I actually rotate them to make sure that they all get out weekly or every other week. There have been weeks when I've ridden a different old Honda to work every day! This one now runs and will be ready for registering soon. Even if the motor blew up tomorrow, I wouldn't lose a dime because 1) I bought it for a VERY good price, 2) I did all the work myself, and 3) If I had to part it out, I'd get my money back. (never, ever have had to do this - at least not yet and hope I never do) Any project bike I look at has to meet this criteria before I'll consider taking it home. And I love bringing project bikes home so that I can restore them to their former glory...and then ride them. :happy:

Based on only 9 posts so far, Kel is right - you're new here. You're definitely in the wrong place to be trashing the bikes that this forum is dedicated to, so please refrain and I would appreciate it if you don't continue to pollute this thread. This is a support group - we're all here to help each other out with technical advice, parts, and we all love to share our progress as we go along. Sure, these aren't state of the art machines and they have their issues. If they were that bad, however, they would all be gone now, wouldn't they?

Now tell us why you're here. What VF have you got? How about some pics?

• Member Contributer

That's ok - it means that there will be more of them for the rest of us. :wink:

Even if this bike had chocolate cams, which it doesn't, I would have no regrets over buying it. There are solutions to the problem when it comes up. Keep the valves properly adjusted, change the oil often, and they run just fine.

Honda testers and techs state that the single biggest issue with increasing the longevity of the original cams is to properly warm the engine before zipping off. This is one reason they were caught off guard by the early cam failures, they warmed the bikes properly before every test ride.

Well after much thought I've decided not to bother with my interceptor any more. I'll be buying a Harley. If anyone wants my bike, I left it at work in the trash and walked home this morning.

post-30519-0-84085400-1409491107.jpg

• Member Contributer

Michael, if only in my wildest dream of dreams I could stumble upon that trash barrel!

Archived