Out For My Last Ride Of The Season And Look What I Found, Bought, And Just Sold...

tomk1960

• Member Contributer

By the way there is a blue one with 8800 miles in about the same condition in Las Vegas for $2100.

It's been on CL for several go rounds and at least 2 months, for what that's worth. Might help with determining value.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Tom,

Are you going to buy this one? I may pursue it if you don't. And I wouldn't be reselling it, rather for my own use.

While I've love to, I don't think I will. If you want to pursue it, I'll contact the owner and bring the two of you together. It would be great to see a fellow member get this bike and resurrect it.

• Member Contributer

Both Tom & I have seen this bike in person and it is in good condition. The owner removed most of the plastic and the pieces are wrapped to avoid any unexpected damage. The original decals/stickers are there and in good condition (not perfect).

The bike is stored in his barn along with some other bikes (forget what), so there is some minor oxidizing on the metal, but nothing a cleaning would not cure.

It has around 6K. When I checked it out, the VIN on the neck has not been "stamped/punched", and IIRC there was a recall in the 80's on the cam and the dealership would mark the bike so they knew the work was done. (Hopefully another member can confirm)

I good bike and the owner is a nice guy (his name is Roy).

If you need any help let me know and I'll do what I can.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Tom and Dylan for the info. Tom, can you get me in contact with him? Send me a PM and I can forward my contact info.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Roy, the owner of this beautiful low-mileage beauty had several people interested in the bike after it didn't work out with Dylan. They were out of state, and despite the fact that it takes almost no effort to work with a buyer to ship a bike, he wanted no part of it. He called me recently and said that he was anxious to sell and made me an offer that I couldn't refuse. So I went and picked it up yesterday and brought it home. All of the bodywork had been removed and was carefully stored, so for the purpose of taking a picture, I put it all back on and snapped this:

20140531_175840_zpsrjmgwlmv.jpg

All of the dust and grime from sitting in the barn for years is still there, yet it looks amazing nonetheless. When my girlfriend got home, she took one look at it and said, "I think we should keep it - it's so pretty!" Now you know what I won't let go of her. ;)

Dylan was right when he said that he would't go refinishing anything on the bike. Most of all of the components that usually look grungy after all this time look nearly new. The paint on the fork legs just needs to be washed and waxed, so I'll replace the seals and put them back on. The carbs have to come out and get overhauled, since the PO started to remove them after unbolting the plenum. In the process, he broke one of the T-rails. :wacko: Besides carbs and fork overhauling, it will need tires, a battery, blake line flushing, and a good clean and wax. Based on what I'm in the middle of now, my goal will be to have the bike ready for sometime in July.

That pearl white with blue is really going to glow after a good wax job...

• Member Contributer

Looks awesome, great save and it'll be nice to see it on the road with your girlfriend @ the controls.

• Member Contributer

That thing looks amazing in the daylight. Man, I would love that thing in my garage...I'd have to paint it red though. :goofy:

Seriously, I had a red one and would love to have another but this one needs to stay bone stock IMO. Another nice find Tom. I thought I was jealous over the CB...Jeez.

• Member Contributer

I really wasn't sure if I wanted to keep this, but the more I look at it, the more I love it. Late in the day today I started picking away at it a bit - washed the seat and rubbed in some vinyl protectant. Then I waxed the left muffler, the fuel tank, and the mufflers. It's like a time machine the way so many of the part look like new. Decals that are usually long gone are still where they were the day the bike left the showroom. Little details like the red plastic cover on the battery terminal is still like new.

Anyway, I think it's going to stay here now. I can't bear to let it go and I can't wait to get it running again soon. I expect to have it all ready to go by July.

This picture doesn't do the tank justice. The paint glows.

2014-06-01200337_zpsa7e98d5b.jpg

I agree with Dylan and Kel - this bike needs to be left totally stock. There's really nothing that needs to be refinished anyway. General maintenance, cleaning and waxing are all this survivor is going to get. Then it's time to ride.

• Member Contributer

That thing needs to be ridden. That's what it was made for. :beer:

I can promise you that it WILL be ridden. After I tend to all the mechanical items on the list, it will be registered and enjoyed. It will be babied and cared for though - I intend to keep it as nice (or nicer) than you see it now. The only mod that I might do is bob the rear fender like I did with my other Interceptor. But I promise to cut a spare fender and keep the original parts so that it can be converted back to look totally stock.

• Member Contributer

Looks simply amazing...yes, I`m a little jealous!

Now you know how I feel every time I look at the picture of those two bikes of yours. They're pieces of artwork!

Hey does anyone know what this part is for?

20140602_210408_zpscomlvsoz.jpg

It was mixed in with a small box of parts that included the airbox and a spare filter. The PO started to remove the carbs, broke a vent T and then gave up.

Don't know that I've seen that part on my VF700F, but it looks exactly like a piece that I had on all my Yamaha 750 and 850 triples. It's placed on two of the head's intake tubes and captured by installing the carb boots. The tube from the crankcase breather runs up thru the little hump into the airbox. Your new friend had some other bikes in the barn too, didn't he? Any old Yamahas in the herd?

• Member Contributer

Don't know that I've seen that part on my VF700F, but it looks exactly like a piece that I had on all my Yamaha 750 and 850 triples. It's placed on two of the head's intake tubes and captured by installing the carb boots. The tube from the crankcase breather runs up thru the little hump into the airbox. Your new friend had some other bikes in the barn too, didn't he? Any old Yamahas in the herd?

I think he might have had one in the barn, so maybe that's where the part came from. There's nothing like it on my VF1000F, so I'd be surprised if one was on the 750. I'll be seeing him soon, so I'll ask. Thanks!

Tom, I dug out a pic of the last set of Hitachi carbs I rebuilt for an XS850 Yamaha. There's the part in the upper right hand corner!

post-23889-0-21661900-1401809492.jpg

• Member Contributer

Thanks for checking, Pops! I'll let the PO know that I'm holding that piece hostage until he forks over a wad of cash. :wink:

• 5 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

My son and I just finished getting his '77 CB550 ready to ride, so now I'm onto this '83 VF750F. My plan is to do the following:

• Adjust the valves
  • Replace the plugs
  • Replace all coolant tube o-rings, flush and refill system
  • Replace fork seals and bushes
  • Rebuild brake calipers and master cylinders
  • Replace checked tires
  • Clean/lube/adjust chain
  • Change oil and filter
  • Clean and polish the bike
  • Overhaul carbs (already done)

Even though the brake lines look brand new, they're 30 years old. Should I replace them with braided lines?

This is in the nicest, most original condition 30 yr old bike I've ever owned, so I have no intention of powder coating or refinishing anything. I might polish and clearcoat the valve covers, (they could use it) but otherwise, I want to leave the bike completely original. I already have almost all the parts I need and my goal is to have it done within a month if my summer vacation doesn't get in the way. I'll start posting pictures as I begin the process.

Tom

• Member Contributer

I have the bike ready for valve adjustment - coolant drained, upper radiator removed, valve covers off, etc. I need t get the alternator cover off so I can turn the engine over but it's stuck and stuck good! I have a feeling that it's never been off. Are there any tricks to popping it off? I don't see any tabs sticking out that were meant for prying, so I need to be careful not to damage anything. If you know a good way to get it off, please share your technique.

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Heat it up with propane torch and take razor blade or a sharpened jeweler screw driver and try to insert it in the seam .

No, don't put a torch near it. It has a clear finish on it.

Give it a solid whack on a couple sides with a rubber mallet, that will break it free and let you wiggle it off.

• Member Contributer

Numerous blows with the rubber mallet finally broke that alternator cover loose. With only 6100 miles on the bike, I have to wonder if the cover had ever been off before. So now the valve covers are off, I have the coolant tubes out so that I can replace the o-rings with new ones, and I'm ready to adjust the valves. In the meantime, I'm looking at these:

20140705_183850_zpsedfqz0n3.jpg

They look nicer in the picture than they actually are. Some corrosion has started underneath that 30 year old clearcoat and it can't just be polished out. It's been suggested that I not refinish anything on the bike and leave it totally original, but I don't know if I can put these covers back on without at least stripping off the old clearcoat, polishing them, and then powder coat a nice satin clear so that they look new again. Would YOU put these back on if you had a choice? Call me anal, but sometimes I just can't leave things alone if I know they can be made to look better...

Archived