Out For My Last Ride Of The Season And Look What I Found, Bought, And Just Sold...

tomk1960

• Member Contributer

With the threat of snow looming over New England, I decided to take my Interceptor out for it's last ride of the year. Even though it was pretty cold, she started right up and ran great. I went to the gas station to fill up and put some Sta-Bil in the tank when a gentleman walked over and said he recognized the old Interceptor. Then he told me that he had an '83 VF750F with low miles on it that he was thinking of selling. "Would you like to see it?" he asked. "Hell yeah!" So I followed him over to his house.

The bike is tucked out in a nice barn he has out back. The seat, tank, and fairing were off and stored upstairs, so here's what I saw - sorry for the poor quality. Lighting was marginal and the bike was jammed in with a couple of others.

20131126_143310_zps6db1dd58.jpg

20131126_143628_zpsc27c0896.jpg

And here's proof of the low mileage:

20131126_143405_zps6ddcf0f7.jpg

Then he took me upstairs to see the rest of the parts. The seat was perfect and from what I could tell, the fairing and tank were in excellent original condition.

20131126_144145_zpsc5ba2a8c.jpg

20131126_144431_zps7aaf7770.jpg

20131126_144414_zps345e0165.jpg

The bike will need the usual stuff - tires, carb cleaning, fork seals, brake fluid flush and possibly rebuild, etc. From what I could see, it looked to be in overall excellent condition - everything was cosmetically very nice, clean, and it would need very little besides a good wash and wax to look sweet.

I asked what he wanted for it and he said he'd like to get $2000, which includes a NIB Supertrapp exhaust for it. I think he mentinoed having NOS turn signals for it as well. Coincidently, he knows the guy I bought my NIB Supertrapp from.

I'm not in the market for one of these right now but it was cool to see a true barn find. If anyone here would like to talk to him about it, I can set something up.

I'd love to see this all back together outside in daylight. It's sure to be a beauty.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I'd love to add it to my collection, but now isn't a good time. PM me your contact info and I'll send it on to Roy, the owner.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

And THIS is why the internet is amazing.... Someone on this site is going to snap this thing up and ride the wheels off of it.

Amazing find. Wish I wasn't re-locating right now, I'd buy it!

That thing needs a new owner to TLC it and ride it.

Looks a lot better than the barn find Indian they had at the MC show.

90 some yo bike parked in 1946. Apparently in an actual barn with manure dust and all.

Might be beyond recussitation. :goofy:

post-208-0-70953600-1386816487.jpg

• Member Contributer

where did you get the supertrapp 's from and can you post a pic of them? great find some guys have all the luck

You can see a couple pics of the Supertrapp I got in this thread: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/76234-whats-a-supertrapp-worth/

I haven't seen the one that comes with the VF750F, but if VFRDylan buys the bike (he's interested) than maybe we'll all see it soon.

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

If anyone is interested, this bike is still on the market and the owner will take $1800 for it. If you're intertested, PM me and I'll hook you up with him.

• Member Contributer

I offer him $1800 in cash in March and he was firm on $2K. The bike does not come with the extra exhaust (or at least it did not when I met Ray in-person).

Bike is as advertised and in very good condition. Only things I could see: tires (just old) and new fork seals, one is leaking.

• Member Contributer

I offer him $1800 in cash in March and he was firm on $2K. The bike does not come with the extra exhaust (or at least it did not when I met Ray in-person).

Bike is as advertised and in very good condition. Only things I could see: tires (just old) and new fork seals, one is leaking.

Dylan, please tell me you'll grab this at $1800. That would be so cool. We can take my trailer to go get it if you need to.

• Member Contributer

It's too bad that it didn't work out. I got the impression that he later regretted holding out for $2000 and he told me that he should have taken your offer.

• Member Contributer

Dylan, please tell me you'll grab this at $1800. That would be so cool. We can take my trailer to go get it if you need to.

I was there with cash in hand and my truck with all the tie-downs.

Since then, I picked up an old 64 Vespa 125 that I'm restoring for my wife.

• Member Contributer

He should have taken your offer. The bike is doing him no good sitting there and he isn't planning on doing any work on it. I'd love to grab it to have for my son to ride after he's ridden a smaller bike for a season or two. I really can't justify it right now though...

• Member Contributer

Unfortunately, If I was to buy it now, I'd probably look to do a quick repair, clean and flip as my fun money is tied up.

That wouldn't be the best use for the bike. It is in really nice condition and deserves to be ridden.

• Member Contributer

What would this be worth if I went through it and got everything in good working order? It would be very difficult to not go crazy with powder coating if any is needed, though...

• Member Contributer

An original red 83 in "unmolested" condition went for north of $4K on Ebay last fall (IIRC $4300). And this one is in better condition that one, plus it is blue.

The key for the top dollar is unmolesteed and stock, if you PC'd the parts it may look nicer, but it would drive down the value.

All this bike needs is a cleaning and to replace the fork seal, but you need to use OEM honda parts.

• Member Contributer

An original red 83 in "unmolested" condition went for north of $4K on Ebay last fall (IIRC $4300). And this one is in better condition that one, plus it is blue.

The key for the top dollar is unmolesteed and stock, if you PC'd the parts it may look nicer, but it would drive down the value.

All this bike needs is a cleaning and to replace the fork seal, but you need to use OEM honda parts.

The blue ones are worth more money? Are they rarer than the red ones?

I agree that bone stock is best, provided it's in really good shape, but if I went to replace the fork seals and the legs were scratched up or chipped (I don't think these ones were) I wouldn't hesitate to PC them. The finish would be identical to OEM and with new TRAC stickers, I can't imagine that the value of the bike would be negatively affected.

• Member Contributer

I agree that bone stock is best, provided it's in really good shape, but if I went to replace the fork seals and the legs were scratched up or chipped (I don't think these ones were) I wouldn't hesitate to PC them. The finish would be identical to OEM and with new TRAC stickers, I can't imagine that the value of the bike would be negatively affected.

Tom, as the old saying goes, it is only original once. Even if you restore it idenitical to OEM, it is restored, not 'original'.

I personally appreciate restored bikes and original rust is not appealing. But for the collector, there is a difference.

As for Blue vs. Red, I'm not sure the numbers that were produced, but my eyes tell me there are fewer of them out there.

• Member Contributer

Tom, as the old saying goes, it is only original once. Even if you restore it idenitical to OEM, it is restored, not 'original'.

I personally appreciate restored bikes and original rust is not appealing. But for the collector, there is a difference.

As for Blue vs. Red, I'm not sure the numbers that were produced, but my eyes tell me there are fewer of them out there.

I hear you and I agree. But it's sooooo hard for me to put a part back on a bike if it doesn't look all nice and new again!

• Member Contributer

Tom,

Are you going to buy this one? I may pursue it if you don't. And I wouldn't be reselling it, rather for my own use.

Archived