5Th Gen Bolt On Tail Swap?

vfrAustin

• Member Contributer

All bodywork is going back on. I fought the urge to Streetfighter it.

You should never fight that urge. Just give in to it and join ussss.

The tail looks great, by the way. I reckon the exhaust needs to go even higher now to open up the space between the wheel and the seat unit.

Or lower of course, like a GP style shorty.

I have my eye out for a good option...waiting on a great deal to pass my way...

The fairings get removed when it gets crashed and the fairings are trash. They are too nice to sit aside right now, well, that's the idea today.

Any nip and tuck planned for the side fairings? There's an awful lot of acreage there as compared to modern machines...

Hey Kevin,

I like the shapes of the side fairings, so no plan to modify them. As most of you have been reading, a streetfighter isn't far away for me so the side fairings may just go off all together someday.

My YZF750R is an option also for the streetfighter someday too.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Really going minimal. I have a plate bracket with signals that I may hang off the bottom of the tail. The tail light and brake may be added to that.

I don't have much room inside the back of the tail and don't want to hack up my creation. One of a kind and all ; )

Still thinking about it.

Thanks for the feedback, as always.

What about something like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290771655785

TL009-Clear-a.jpg

Maybe not exactly that one, but something similar, would require like 2 or 3 small screw holes for mounting and one for wiring.. I used a similar thing on my old 250, just hacked it apart to make it fit how I wanted

I'm not sure how the underside of your tail is, but if my assumption is correct you might even be able to use weatherproof double sided tape and run the wiring underneath?

• Member Contributer

What about this one :laughing6-hehe:

post-25867-0-40175000-1390394266.jpg

It is amazing how many options there are now for this situation. I like that one you picked out. It kind resembles, or mimics, the headlights a bit.

Good call!

Thanks

• Member Contributer

What about this one :laughing6-hehe:

attachicon.gif$T2eC16JHJHMFH!!BZepOBR5Ykccfp!~~60_57.jpg

It is amazing how many options there are now for this situation. I like that one you picked out. It kind resembles, or mimics, the headlights a bit.

Good call!

Thanks

Holy Bat $hit I almost jump out of my computer chair when this thing pop up on the screen .

• 2 weeks later...

notice the brake caliper change on the above bike and the huge adapter bracket needed on the left fork leg to make it all work. I thought of something like this instead of the vtr1000 fork bottoms and now I know why I didn't do it. its a massive lump of metal hanging there.

• Member Contributer

I found this while searching the inter-webs. Looks like a 929RR tail section.

vfr800.jpg

Not knocking his work but I feel a more modern look is to scale down the tail section. I think the angles of the pictures aren't doing the bike any favors. The tail looks long for the bike. As a matter of fact, every "stock" tail swap I have seen looks too long to me, with exception to Veefer's low displacement doner, I like the light look of his.

I hope to get some paint on the parts and put it all back together this weekend.

notice the brake caliper change on the above bike and the huge adapter bracket needed on the left fork leg to make it all work. I thought of something like this instead of the vtr1000 fork bottoms and now I know why I didn't do it. its a massive lump of metal hanging there.

Looks like he put some 6-pot Tokikos on it from a Suzuki or Kawasaki.

2" forward and it would look like a different bike.

I think that tail wound up the way it did because he didn't want to shorten the rider's seat.

Agreed about moving it forward. You'd have to mod the seat base, and refoam/recover.

Something needs to be done about that gap.

• Member Contributer

Again, no disrespect to the builder but... The subframe, from what I can tell, is the original. If I had to make a generalization, I think the back of the tank to the back of the rear tire is relatively short on a 5th Gen. Leaving little room to work with without modifying the overall length.

I think his approach was to not modify the major components such as the forks and the subframe. although, he gutted the back end to get that exhaust in there. Bravo on that one!

Colored chains make me vomit

• Member Contributer

Oh man, I like my red chain. :laugh2:

VFR4Lee,

I know your posts, your all about riding. I would bet a C note that you do NOT have a colored chain.

I know I am right. :beer:

• Member Contributer

post-25867-0-72912100-1391374232.jpgI was able to get some work done.

post-25867-0-86018100-1391372847.jpg

post-25867-0-77263900-1391372892.jpg

The paint still needs work but I had to start to inspire me. Wet sanding and a clear still to come.

post-25867-0-39696000-1391372994.jpg

I need to add an exhaust bracket.

Bolt in the RR,it is going to be attached to the underside of the Alu. seat pan, in that pocket between the tail and the pan. It should get great airflow there.

post-25867-0-51709400-1391373197.jpg

post-25867-0-33115100-1391373221.jpg

Archived