2014 Vfr Poll

zon

2014 VFR 800  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Would you consider purchasing a 2014 VFR 800 if it was imported to North America?

Most don't even know how to make the most out of the power it does have and when you do know how to take it to the limit, don't expect the motor to last as long.

More than HP, what would be useful is a little more torque for riding 2-up w fully laden hardbags and not require working through the gears so much.

It is surprising to see TC on a bike it is quite hard to break traction on from wheel spin precisely due to how heavy and how low on torque it is, and yet you don't see it on other bikes. ABS on the other hand makes big sense for the same reason, weight-wise it has greater inertia which will brake traction with more ease when braking in precarious conditions, despite greater gravitational influence. Still TC is always useful if it avoids a fall.

Disappointed to see mapping surges rear their heads on the 8th gen.

Still don't get heated grips as a standard item instead of optional.

Nonetheless it's a sure improvement on the original VTEC.. although leaving still heaps of room for improvement Honda-san.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, I love TC. I had it on my last bike (a Versys 1000, 3 modes of TC at that) and whilst it never kicked in in summer it was a Godsend riding through a typical British winter so for those of us who intend to use a bike in all weathers and through winter TC is brilliant

• Member Contributer

My 07 dynoed at 96hp on the same dyno as my 86

And that means? Until a run-in 8th gen is tested on that dyno not much. Real interest is comparison between the EU/World spec & US spec. Fast Bikes (UK) had their test bike on the dyno @JHS Racing 106bhp @ 10250rpm. This from Cycleworld test of US spec bike.

This from Motorcycle.com '08 6th gen

I agree. I want to see what an 8th makes on the same dyno that my 86 ran on

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I've seen and sat on the new Interceptor and I really like the look and feel of the new bike but.....

I don't think that it is a big enough leap forward for me to purchase it.

I have never been a fan of the Vtech engine and the traditional front fork probably isn't any better than my resprung and Race Tech valved 5th gen fork.

The bells and whistles would be very nice, just not nice enough for me to purchase a new bike over my "paid for" 1998 VFR.

I'm looking for 120+ horsepower.

Fully adjustable suspension with an inverted front fork.

Go back to gear driven cams and dump the Vtech.

Gp style exhaust, to show off the rear wheel. I would even sacrifice the center stand for this.

So until Honda does a little more, I will continue to ride my 98.

Maybe the next generation. Seems as though I have been saying that for while....

• Member Contributer

I'm putting finishes on an 8th Gen review of my own which I hope to put out by Monday but for now, my quick 2c:

I had Race Tech valves in my 4th Gen and had it re-sprung for my weight. The result was rather taut. The 8th Gen feels comparable, but much more comfortable over stuff like cobblestones. Go figure. While I'm a little surprised about the CBR feel, if you want a Cadillac ride, buy an ADV bike. EDIT: Yeah, addition of compression damping control would be nice. Seems daft to allow control of rebound without damping.

If you're looking for 120+ HP look elsewhere. This bike makes roughly the same power my stock '97 did. Maybe less on bottom since my mechanic fattened up the fueling on my old bike. Probably due to emissions strangling. Mileage is a touch better than the prior VFRs, if you care. If you really want mileage get an NC700. But then you'll be here whining about the anemic power. TANSTAAFL.

Those factory panniers are only good for 26 lbs and max overall load is under 400 lbs so if you imagine yourselves loading it up like a Gold Wing (hence the desire for more power) you might want to re-think your approach.

Sadly I don't think we'll ever see, erm, hear gear driven cams again. {sniffle}.

I still maintain the VTEC isn't the devil most believe it to be, but it could also be carried out a little better. Anyway don't just argue with me - look up a torque curve from a '97 if you think I'm crazy.

I'm not a big fan of the big polished exhaust can but with the bags on you can't see it anyway. A GP exhaust will just blow smoke onto the panniers.

I tend to think the TC is something I'll never use but then I remember my ass sliding out over an untreated road plate last winter. OK, so maybe it's not a terrible thing after all. I think some washboard road triggered it the other day, and that could turn out to be a headache.

The appearance is a matter of taste but I can't tell you how much time I've killed in the last week entertaining chats from passers-by who are absolutely enthralled. It's nucking futs, really. And the LED headlights make a noticeable improvement in how other motorists treat you.

Yep, 13K+ is a lot for an 782cc bike that isn't wearing a hoity toity yurpeon badge. But so far I'm happy with my decision to get it. Dealer knocked over 1K off MSRP, got me accessories for mail-order prices and is eating the labor on the 600 mile service. Put down 4K and Big Red financed the rest at 2.99% for 36 months.

Ride on, mofos!

• Member Contributer

I not only considered buying it, but traded my well-loved '03 for the new one. And yes, it's an incremental improvement, but low RPM throttle response is much improved, the handling is better, the heated grips are a welcome addition and it gets more compliments than any bike I've ever owned, including my three previous VFR's. A friend let me ride his BMW 1000RR and while the added 90 hp is quite evident, the beemer is really a track-day appliance. The one complaint I'd have about the new Interceptor is that the ride is decidely stiffer, but I haven't fiddled the suspension as yet.

Well let's not kid ourselves kids. The S1000RR is a GREAT all around street bike, just with more power than one could ever use on the street. A fantastic package. The rumored upcoming touring model will kick butt and take names.

I am waiting to see if the '14 VFR I bought a couple of days ago picks up any power at all once it's broken in- I suspect, though, with a hundred miles down the road now, that it will continue to be slightly anemic in comparison to my 03.

I'm sure this has to do with emissions and what must be a seriously adjusted fueling curve, because this thing is averaging 10 MPG more than my 03, and I'm not particularly babying it (nor am I bouncing it off the limiter). This gives hope for improvements down the road from a PC or the like.

• 6 months later...

Nonetheless it's a sure improvement on the original VTEC.. although leaving still heaps of room for improvement Honda-san.

Not imo , it lost a ton of adjustability, with fork tube height , clip-ons ect

Its okay if you need a New VFR, but I don't.

Not imo , it lost a ton of adjustability, with fork tube height , clip-ons ect

Its okay if you need a New VFR, but I don't.

My opinion is to the contrary of yours Mr Spud. The 6th gen leaves a lot to be desired in many Aspects and I say that despite the fact I've put 100,000 km on one. Nonetheless the 6th gen's rolling chassis was a noticeable Improvement over the 5th gen's, yet it still falls short of Expectations. The 8th gen has Rebound adjustment on the Front end Suspension and this is Precisely what was Missing on the 6th gen, and the 5th. It's a definite Advantage over the pogostick Front forks on these Previous gens, all else being Equal. I fail to see how an extra Measure of control over the dynamics of the Front suspension Cannot be considered an improvement. Just to mention One example.

I don't have pogo front suspension, probably you have heavier springs and too light of oil in combo, then you'll have that issue. But full adjustable suspension is nice, which the 8th gen still does not have that in reality. Did you also get compression adjustment?

Luckily I was able to get a usable set up on my 6th gen, but I know that few have achieved that with out sending them off.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

what is sad is in north america the vfr800 only ran 2 years 2014-15.why? is my question .

? Maybe priced too high?

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/83274-honda-officially-drops-price-of-interceptor/#entry1033868

• Member Contributer

This thread is entertaining! I decided to get back into riding and bought a '14 new for near the same price as my '06. It's clearly a better bike in every way though the '06 was fine with me. VTEC is smoother than the '06 but it didn't bother me at all in the '06 leaned over in turns or anyplace else. My nearly new condition 5th gen. didn't really impress me with anything especially the suspension and electricals. Only thing I don't like about the '14 is the instrument panel and it's a clusterf..k. Everybody has an opinion and an..........

That makes two Hondas that I've bought that were only available for two model years. I went to the (same) dealer both times to buy a Yamaha and walked out with a leftover Honda. It's a shame, really, because both are great bikes and do everything 99% of riders need better than their RRs.

Archived