2014 Vfr Poll

zon

2014 VFR 800  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Would you consider purchasing a 2014 VFR 800 if it was imported to North America?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you tell me where the change in suspension is , I don't see it, looks to be the same, preload only on the front, and preload and rebound on the rear (no change).

The seat does look like they might have taken out a couple hard lines in the crotch area from the picture. The seat is my biggest gripe on the 6th gen, everything else is usable. I can tell that new bike Id run the seat on the tallest setting, for max seat to peg.

The 6th gen under tail, is pretty insulated compared to other under tailed bikes , Like r1's and fz 6, puts a lot of heat on the A$$, the vfr can get warm , but others get real nasty. With side mounted pipe, atleast there is some benefit to the crotch and A$$ heat wise, even though I do like the under tailed look.

Over all though the bike does look okay, and heated grips sounds nice unless you have to also get traction control to get it, which I suspect is the case. I think my 06 has a very nice illumination display set up , especially at night. That area I don't really see an improvement looks more like they switched to something cheaper.

So bottom line would I buy the 800 or the 1200, if that were the only choice ? I would go with the 800, as its more usable for what I do

What street rider wouldn't even consider buying a new VFR??? It's not like this poll commits you.

Perhaps there are many subtleties in the new VFR that people just don't see, that won't be appreciated by reading a spec sheet online. Honda is clearly adding a lot of value to the street rider while keeping the VFR far removed from the track machine that some old timers still want it to be.

Let me tell you why I would seriously consider replacing my current VFR750 for a new 8th gen VFR (yeah, that's right, I ride a 750. With the mods I've made to my machine, I haven't been tempted to replace it by ANY motorcycle, including the later VFR800s, until now):

1) No question this one will outperform all prior 700-800cc VFR generations out of the box -- not in shocking power, but all the other ways that impact real world riding experience.

2) LED lighting might be a rather significant improvement. Up here in the great white north, days are short during the wet riding season.

3) How about those new brakes, not linked, ABS standard! That's better than we've seen in a long time from Honda.

4) It'll be a durable beast. While the usual whiners are complaining about the VFR not offering >150hp and at least a liter displacement, I LOVE the all-day driveability of the 800. There's nothing stopping the racers from modifying to their hearts' content or buying the VFR1200. Re-using the 6th generation VFR800 parts that worked well is a recipe for success, not a point to complain about. I prefer reliability over peak HP bragging rights, and solid components to fragile look-fast bits.

5) Check out all the great suspension mods & ergonomic tweaks Honda finally implemented! Heated grips! It will be easier than ever to dial in the VFR without tearing down shocks and replacing springs!

6) The bodywork is classy and understated, while being much more attractive than Shamu. The new VFR800 reminds me of a nice mixture of the classic 5th generation VFR with a little bit of Ducati 900 thrown in -- a rather clean, complete fairing. Honda finally got around to providing a handsome, sleek machine for the understated mature rider. *LOVE* the new wheel design, too. To those who keep saying it's "boring", I think it's up to the individual owner to tack on all the "look at me" accessories he wants. Most of those "cutting edge" designs age rather quickly, and I like to ride my bikes for a decade or more.

7) Exhaust goes back to a simpler, lighter design that's easier/cheaper to replace. But since the chassis carries over much from the prior gen, it should be very easy for aftermarket companies to offer underseat exhaust to those who like a hot bum. Best of both worlds!

8) finally: Honda ought to have learned its lesson after the horrible sales of the VFR1200. One can be sure that the new VFR will be priced more aggressively. I am optimistic that for most riders who don't haul a passenger regularly, the new VFR800F will be a superb value. It's not like there are that many well-built middleweight V4 bikes to choose from, and this is the only one of the last 15 years that tempts me at all.

Im looking at the specs on the Honda website, its says preload, but no mention of rebound, I don't see a picture there that contradicts the official spec listing.

This looks like rebound damping to me, not stepless spring preload as mentioned in the text (all VFRs have come with stepless spring preload):

Screenshot_from_2013_11_04_15_32_49.png

• 4 weeks later...

I noticed the clip-ons are fixed and non adjustable, that's one reason Ive kept my 6th gen as long as I have, its adjustability to make it more comfortable. That's one of the main reasons The BMW k1300 turned me off.

The handlebar can be adjusted with an optional kit.

They are already 13.5 mm higher and 6.5 mm closer than the previous Vtec.

With the kit, you can increase the height of another 13 mm, then 26.5 mm more than the Vtec.

I have tested the handlebars in the standard position and is already comfortable as in my old VFR800FI with the handlebar raised up to the maximum of fork top plug.

The issues I have , is the rear sweep of the bars in Hondas engineering, if there's no sweep adjustment, height doesn't do me any good. I developed a tendon issue with stock sweep, I couldn't even palm a jar of pickles with my left hand or roll down my truck window. After about 6 months, I knew I had to do something, so moved the clip-ons out of their detents and that tendon issue disappeared in a couple weeks.

• Member Contributer

Probably a no go for me. When they wedge in a liter size V4, I'm all over it. Till then, it's a tweaked Gen5 for too much money to me.

• 1 month later...

As I've looked at this post more, I've realized that when I voted I was thinking "off the showroom floor" rather than "used". Now looking at a number of the posts, it's obvious there are various thoughts on that. My guess is that from Honda's perspective, all that matters is the former.

Cogs this is wrong post but can you look at Oregon Trail routes and tell me anything about the route I posted for Saturday through sisters I've done the ultra twisty Mckenzie highway but was wondering about the return route back to bend around mt bachelor see the route

Thanks Lee

• 5 weeks later...

Bought one, wouldn't change anything. And of all the bikes I've owned, this one by far gets studied when it's parked.

Disclaimer: some of previous bikes were also VFR's: '95, '99, '03 along with other Hondas and a smattering of smaller displacement Yamaha's.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Probably a no go for me. When they wedge in a liter size V4, I'm all over it. Till then, it's a tweaked Gen5 for too much money to me.

+1

doesn't have to be a liter bike. an 800 is fine. I am still standing by my case where how the hell can 26 years of tech only increase HP by SIX? My 86 dynoed at 90HP to the rear wheel and this one is only 96?!?!?!? like come on honda... and don't even say "omg you don't need all that power on a bike."

Well then why are corvettes made? etc. etc. etc. everyone should just drive a 3cylinder and no motorcycle should be over 500ccs.

Anyway, it's called throttle control. I would seriously sell my 86 to pick up a new VFR if it made over 105HP out of the box.

+1

doesn't have to be a liter bike. an 800 is fine. I am still standing by my case where how the hell can 26 years of tech only increase HP by SIX? My 86 dynoed at 90HP to the rear wheel and this one is only 96?!?!?!? like come on honda... and don't even say "omg you don't need all that power on a bike."

Well then why are corvettes made? etc. etc. etc. everyone should just drive a 3cylinder and no motorcycle should be over 500ccs.

Anyway, it's called throttle control. I would seriously sell my 86 to pick up a new VFR if it made over 105HP out of the box.

errrrr, Honda quote the power as 78KW at 10,250RPM = 104.5bhp. Is that close enough to 105?.

• Member Contributer

not when magazines are dynoing it at ~96HP. Hopefully my local honduh dealer will dyno it on my same dyno my vfr got dynoed at so we can really compare

but in the real World does it make that much difference? I have just dropped down from a 1l IL4 and have not found the VFR lacking. That said I spend alot of time hooning about on my 43hp W650 :)

• Member Contributer

well it depends. if you put around to work everyday... then no. if you like to go to track days, or wind it out on a freeway/etc. itll make a difference ;)

• Member Contributer

I thought you had to stop at 55mph in the States? ;-)

65 if youre on the interstates in NJ/PA ;) even higher in other states (70-75 i believe) :P lol

well it depends. if you put around to work everyday... then no. if you like to go to track days, or wind it out on a freeway/etc. itll make a difference ;)

Freeways? Why would you want to ride for pleasure on freeways? Commuting? Sure. Transport stages when on tour? Sure. Anybody can open the throttle in a straight line. Thats all a bit dull really. As for riding on real roads with corners'n'stuff using most of the potential of a 90hp bike requires more skill than half the potential of a 180hp bike. And in my book motorcycling is a skills based activity, the more you challenge & develop those skills the more fun riding is.

I agree that the only power figure that matters is at the rear wheel, but don't forget that there were spec differences (ECU & camshaft differences plus a few other details) between the US model of the 6th gen & the EU/World model. The US 6th consistently dyno'ed 5 to 10hp less than the EU/World model. I rember Motorcycle.com only getting 86 or so hp from their 6th gen tester in about '08. The same may be true for the US 8th.

My 07 dynoed at 96hp on the same dyno as my 86

And that means? Until a run-in 8th gen is tested on that dyno not much. Real interest is comparison between the EU/World spec & US spec. Fast Bikes (UK) had their test bike on the dyno @JHS Racing 106bhp @ 10250rpm. This from Cycleworld test of US spec bike.2014-Honda-Interceptor-dyno-chart.jpg

This from Motorcycle.com '08 6th gen08_aug_middle_shoot_15.jpg

Archived