Are There Any Honda Rearsets That Will Fit A 6Th Gen Lower?

Rush2112

Question

• Member Contributer

Are there any inexpensive Honda parts bin rearsets that will fit a 6th gen lower engine cushion? I.e. CBR 929/954/1000 RC51 etc.

I'm trying to build a 5th gen track bike and I'm considering a 6th gen cushion to allow me some options with the rear sets. I want to go 1 up, 5 down on the shift pattern.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks....

• Answers 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have often wondered if there is any advantage to using a shift linkage (with a shift rod) over a standard mount shift lever (directly mounted) other than ability to switch to GP shift pattern?

More adjustbility on where the shift lever is, other than that...

The 2014/15 VFR800 rearsets will do the trick, all you have to do is find them.

attachicon.gifhonda- rear sets.jpg

BR

Wow, they look quite good actually! Is that a quick shifter sensor?

No, not really as everything else seems to use different bolt spread.

I made a simple bracket for my 6th gen track pig that raised and slightly pushed back the pegs .

attachicon.gifvtec track project 023.jpg

PS I do have a set of adjustable rearsets for a 5th gen if Seb ever sends them back.

BR

i think I have first dibs on those, no?

• Member Contributer

The 2014/15 VFR800 rearsets will do the trick, all you have to do is find them.

attachicon.gifhonda- rear sets.jpg

BR

I thought I had seen a picture! Thanks BR. I think I will wait and get OE parts. If my spacial reasoning is accurate, they are keeping the same shift pattern with the "quick shifter" though. Easy enough to switch.

• Member Contributer

I mentioned that I was getting a CBR954 rear cushion to try out as a track bike or no center stand option, but it just occurred to me that the pivot bolt may be a larger diameter. I have no idea yet, but I did ask one seller who has one. I hope not, cause I already sprung for the cushion. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Can we post up some hole spacing info on these rearsets? I have a set of Sato rearsets for a 675, I know they aren't a bolt on for the 4th gen, but is the 6th gen spacing different?

• Member Contributer

I think it's 61mm on the 6G. Feel free to correct me, anyone.

Trace measured the RC51 for me the other day and came up with 82mm.

Seb's got a 929 right side only, and he said that the 929 and 954 are the same. Guessing he's at work, but maybe he can measure it later?

What's the 675 and 4G, Yoshi?

• Member Contributer

If the rearsets aren't a direct bolt on, then knowing the triangulation of the footpeg isn't really important. If you are going to use ones that don't bolt up directly with an adapter plate, you can adjust the footpeg triangulation some with the adapter plate, no?

If the rearsets aren't a direct bolt on, then knowing the triangulation of the footpeg isn't really important. If you are going to use ones that don't bolt up directly with an adapter plate, you can adjust the footpeg triangulation some with the adapter plate, no?

Well if you're going to do that, then what the heck does it matter if the spacing is right for the frame???

• Member Contributer

The 6th gen seems about 2.5" (63-64mm).

I think the 675 rearsets might be close to that. I know they are too short for the 4th gen.

I did find one thing that matches the 4th gen. The VTR 250. And I know there are TONS of aftermarket rearsets for that :rolleyes:

Well if you're going to do that, then what the heck does it matter if the spacing is right for the frame???

If the bolt pattern matches up, then I can worry about where the pegs are. If the pegs are in the completely wrong position, then I'll have to use an adapter plate, which means it might not be worth it to get those when I need a second part anyways.

I thought we were looking for a direct bolt on replacement, so I'm not caring about the details on the ones that won't bolt right up for now.

The 6th gen seems about 2.5" (63-64mm).

I think the 675 rearsets might be close to that. I know they are too short for the 4th gen.

I did find one thing that matches the 4th gen. The VTR 250. And I know there are TONS of aftermarket rearsets for that :rolleyes:

If the bolt pattern matches up, then I can worry about where the pegs are. If the pegs are in the completely wrong position, then I'll have to use an adapter plate, which means it might not be worth it to get those when I need a second part anyways.

I thought we were looking for a direct bolt on replacement, so I'm not caring about the details on the ones that won't bolt right up for now.

Again, what's the point? If you want 6th gen fit, get 6th gen pegs. Anything else is a custom fit because the angles at which the rests mount on a frame and the triangulation of the mount holes + peg will always be different! IE if the bolt pattern is by some strange chance the same, you still have to figure out if the size of the bosses will allow it to fit, if the general outer periphery of the new rest will fit the mount area, if the peg will be higher (or an inch lower like when I tried to fit RC51 pegs on my 4th gen!) ETC, ETC, ETC.

The best way to go about this, is to:

1. Know where you wan the new peg location to be

2. Find/buy a peg set w/ the smallest triangulation possible (aftermarket is best bet)

3. Make/buy custom adapters that place the peg where you want it.

And that's all I have to say about that. /Gump

• Member Contributer

You can be a stickler for reproducing stock numbers and still be searching for the perfect set of USD fork triples with the exact offset of the VFR three years later. Some compromise is inenevitable. Maybe the end result is better for it. But this is just a jumping off point. Besides, if a popular sport bike has the same bolt pattern that means plenty of aftermarket support, and likely adjustable mounts anyway.

• Member Contributer

For me the point is to find a Honda (or other) bike to reference for sourcing aftermarket rear sets that will bolt to the stock 6G cushion and allow for adjustable footpeg mounting.

Therefore the triangulation of the footpeg in relation to the two mounting holes is moot as I will be moving the pegs to suit me anyway.

Also, Ouch Baby! Very Ouch!. lol

You can be a stickler for reproducing stock numbers and still be searching for the perfect set of USD fork triples with the exact offset of the VFR three years later. Some compromise is inenevitable. Maybe the end result is better for it. But this is just a jumping off point. Besides, if a popular sport bike has the same bolt pattern that means plenty of aftermarket support, and likely adjustable mounts anyway.

The idea isn't foreign to me. I have a set of aftermarket CBR900RR rearsets on my 4th gen.

I'm trying to add a little guidance based on the experience I had trying to find a set that fit that bike. I'm satisfied with the stock pegs on my 6th gen.

• Member Contributer

I finally got an answer after asking 4 different ebay sellers about the CBR Pivot bolt. It is the same 25mm diameter as the VFR. It's a different part# than the 6G, but looks to be a similar design. It may be more compatible with 5G swingarm, as the nut looks shorter. Like the cut down version that yycviffer did, perhaps.

I expect my CBR cushion to arrive by Saturday, and I'll try bolting it up then. That should give those building track bikes, or simply don't want a center stand, a larger choice of rearsets from 929-954. Adjustability, reverse pattern, different look, etc.

• Member Contributer

I finally got an answer after asking 4 different ebay sellers about the CBR Pivot bolt. It is the same 25mm diameter as the VFR. It's a different part# than the 6G, but looks to be a similar design. It may be more compatible with 5G swingarm, as the nut looks shorter. Like the cut down version that yycviffer did, perhaps.

I expect my CBR cushion to arrive by Saturday, and I'll try bolting it up then. That should give those building track bikes, or simply don't want a center stand, a larger choice of rearsets from 929-954. Adjustability, reverse pattern, different look, etc.

I didn't even think about the lower cushion from a 929/954 bolting to a VFR... will this work on a 5th gen engine do you think? I've got a 2001 CBR929 swingarm with the cushion still attached on its way to my house!

BTW... went to the garage with my calipers.:

2000 CBR 929 Left Rearset mounting bolt spacing C-C = 59.375mm

2001 CBR 929 Right Rearset mounting bolt spacing C-C = 59.4mm

2005 VFR 800 Lower Cushion Left Rearset mounting bolt spacing C-C = 64.325mm

2005 VFR 800 Lower Cushion Right Rearset mounting bolt spacing C-C = 61.95mm

• Member Contributer

I didn't even think about the lower cushion from a 929/954 bolting to a VFR... will this work on a 5th gen engine do you think? I've got a 2001 CBR929 swingarm with the cushion still attached on its way to my house!

BTW... went to the garage with my calipers.:

2000 CBR 929 Left Rearset mounting bolt spacing C-C = 59.375mm

2001 CBR 929 Right Rearset mounting bolt spacing C-C = 59.4mm

2005 VFR 800 Lower Cushion Left Rearset mounting bolt spacing C-C = 64.325mm

2005 VFR 800 Lower Cushion Right Rearset mounting bolt spacing C-C = 61.95mm

I got the idea from Mohawk. He was saying he thought the 6G and CBR were the same, apart from c-stand. They do have different rearset bolt spacing, but that gave me the idea to try the CBR cushion on the VFR. I'll be trying it on my 5G.

I didn't think to measure both sides of the VFR cushion for spacing. I measured the right side only and got 69mm top to bottom and subtracted 8mm for the two radii. (8mm diameter bolt, 4mm off the top and 4mm off the bottom for the center)

I spent some time on parts fiche and the only thing I could come up with in the different part# between 929 and 954 is color.

• Member Contributer

OK, I got the CBR rear cushion in today and it's a NO - GO! :sad:

Waaaay too skinny at the mounting points to fit onto the back of the VFR engine. Not even close. Sorry Mohawk, not only are the rearset mounts not the same, the cushion won't fit at all.

Looks like the 5-6 are interchangeable only, and not a lot of aftermarket support for rearsets on the 6G. Shoot, I was really hoping for that one. Mostly to recoup the $40 I spent on it... :angry:

BTW, there are a couple part#'s for CBR 929 and 954 rear cushions, best I can tell is that one year was black.

• Member Contributer

OK, I got the CBR rear cushion in today and it's a NO - GO! :sad:

Waaaay too skinny at the mounting points to fit onto the back of the VFR engine. Not even close. Sorry Mohawk, not only are the rearset mounts not the same, the cushion won't fit at all.

Looks like the 5-6 are interchangeable only, and not a lot of aftermarket support for rearsets on the 6G. Shoot, I was really hoping for that one. Mostly to recoup the $40 I spent on it... :angry:

BTW, there are a couple part#'s for CBR 929 and 954 rear cushions, best I can tell is that one year was black.

Bummer :angry:

That would have been a sweet swap...

• Member Contributer

No, not really as everything else seems to use different bolt spread.

I made a simple bracket for my 6th gen track pig that raised and slightly pushed back the pegs .

attachicon.gifvtec track project 023.jpg

PS I do have a set of adjustable rearsets for a 5th gen if Seb ever sends them back.

BR

I am definitely gonna do this ..

Thanks BR ..

Archived