• its a 6.3
    • its an 8
    • its something else
    • i dont care

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

So is this the end of the 7th Gen ???? I think so ....

I agree. The 7th gen was in some ways a victim of the times in which it was introduced - the worst economy in 50 years certainly did not help its fortunes. Honda sank a good amount of cash in to a clean sheet of paper design and with slow sales probably lost their shirt on it - and I'd guess has decided to cut its losses. There's no telling how many un-sold they have remaining, but they'll get ever harder to move as leftovers with an MSRP that's well above the '14 version. We can all say we want to about what we do or don't like here, but what we really communicate to Honda with is our Dollars, not our keyboards. Hopefully the '14 will do well.

Or maybe it becomes the basis for the 3rd gen ST...following the ST1100 and ST1300

Wait, were does the RC30 fall then, if the '86-'87 Was Gen 1, '88-'89 Gen 2, '90-'93 Gen 3, what does that make the RC? It was a VFR750R, maybe Gen 0 since it came out first? ('86 in Japan if I remember correct).

Good question about where the RC30 falls in 'generational status" but the 86-87 was actually the 2nd generation Interceptor/VF/VFR and the RC30 was homologation race special. The 83-85 was the 1G gen Interceptor V45F / VF750F whatever the country designation was depends on where you live.

Oh, c'mon. The VTR250 wasn't even a V4!

The "generation" thing was always a US invention, as it completely ignored the ROW. As a result, it is impossible for it to "make sense", so if people want to call the new VTEC the "8th-gen", sure, why not. Honda will never use that terminology, but it is helpful to know which is which if you want to be understood by Yanks... :cool:

Ciao,

I didn't say it was a V4 (it is obviously a Vtwin) but it was dubbed an Interceptor here in the US and it was the love child of two V4's as the engine was developed.

And it is easier to understand what Gen you have than to decipher the registration year followed by a random alphabetical suffix as you Brits do (at least to us simple Yanks.)

You call the "generation" nomenclature "simple"? :laugh:

The marketing name (e.g., Interceptor) is certainly the least reliable and consistent way to deal with this. They're different in different countries (FireStorm, Fireblade, Pan European, anyone?), and are adopted and dropped seemingly at whim. What's an "RC51", exactly, when the bike's VIN calls it an SC45?

The Japanese are probably aware of the American practice of referring to certain Honda models by "generations", but I'm sure they're at least as puzzled by the reasoning behind it as many of you are!

Marketing name? Silly.

Engine configuration? At least it's clear. All Honda V4s would qualify--but that would include various cruisers and the STs. And the NR(750) is also, technically, a V4.

Originally called a "VFR"? Another clear, but imperfect solution, as it would not include the first Interceptors (not that their exclusion would bother me!) or the VF1000R elephant.

Gear-train? VFRs were not the only Hondas with gear-driven cams. Doesn't the RC51/SP1 use them? My CBR400RR NC29 has them...

Engine family? Could be confusing, given the murky origins of some designs. We know the VFR800Fi engine was based on the RC45's engine, but the first VFR750F was the basis for the RC30, or vice versa?

So, what generation is the new VFR? Just put it up for a vote, accept the result--and don't delude yourselves into thinking that there is any logic behind the "system", because there isn't.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

hard to say since he doesn't reference a previous post, but since the 1200 is over a certain engine size (900cc IIRC or maybe 850?) it get's the SC chassis designation just as the "RC51" officially had...American Honda thought RC51 sounded like a better follow up to the RC45 so...the rest is history.

What of the RC213V, which is 1000cc? Not that we see any of them on the road, nor are they given the VFR name...

The "RC" in the designations of Honda's non-production based racing motorcycles (all built by HRC) is not the same "RC" in the production Honda designations. The "RC30" was merely a coincidence. All Honda production (street) motorcycles with engines displacing between 650cc and 899cc have a "RC" in their Chassis or VIN numbers. There are also ACs, DCs, HCs, JCs, MCs, NCs, PCs, SCs and TCs, depending on engine displacement.

Ciao,

Keep your wigs on girls!!

It's real simple. It ain't Chinese algebra.

The last two-wheeled motorized contraption brought out by Honda with the name VFR, albeit a 1200, was given the benefit of the doubt and defined, in the US, as the 7th gen.

This is Honda's new offering and it differs enough from previous gens to be called an 8th gen.

Keep it simple stupid!!

• Member Contributer

I am of two minds on this...as JZH has previously stated the VFs and VFRs that were not imported to North America have no "Generation" designation as this is an American contrivance to differentiate the models. For example, the NC30 and NC35 have no Gen tag attached to them. Therefore this newest VFR should not have a Gen tag attached either.

The other part of the equation that has me divided on this is that today the world is connected via the interweb....and a new VFR (even one launched in Italy and sold not in North America) is still Ron Burgundy (kind of a big deal) to everyone here. So it should have a Gen tag.

Either way, if it does get tagged, the tag is 8Gen because we can't put the toothpaste back in the tube and renumber every model to account for other global models now. It would just be salt in the wound.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Typical as I have learned in life - If I prefer to "zig" one way, the majority will prefer to "zag" the other way.

--- Well here we go again .. just for a bar stool argument..

Since the long history of the VFR comes from a middleweight displacement at 750/700 and 800(781) and all the gens are named(designated) from that line, the 1200 (now) as any gen seems out of place. So, I'm at the new 800 is a 7th gen as the true evolution of the VFR roots and the 1200 is just a 1200 or 1st gen if you gotta go there.

Its all silly shit anyhoo------

-But in the end it will fall where it may.

Beers for all. eagerness.png

Its a warmed over 6th gen. I call it a step backwards for Honda. Who says they don't listen to their customers. Its all those whiny vetec owners that made Honda placate them with this microwaved 6th gen.

Before every one blows their head gasket, I'm just kidding. I really don't care.

I think the whole thing became ridiculous when they didn't rename the 2012 7th gen the 7.5 gen and when they finally add cruise control then you will really have the 8th gen.

Bill

• Member Contributer

I think the whole thing became ridiculous when they didn't rename the 2012 7th gen the 7.5 gen and when they finally add cruise control then you will really have the 8th gen.

Bill

"they"???

It is a figment of VFR owners imagination in the US...............

:mad:

:laughing6-hehe:

Must be taken in the intent given. I love all of them. But to emphasize my point. I thought the gens were tied to engine models. This makes the 1200 the seventh and the 2014 800 still the sixth since it is the same ol engine.

But on a friendlier note why do these discussions always come up during the winter no riding season? Because we ain't riding.

• Member Contributer

:mad:

:laughing6-hehe:

Must be taken in the intent given. I love all of them. But to emphasize my point. I thought the gens were tied to engine models. This makes the 1200 the seventh and the 2014 800 still the sixth since it is the same ol engine.

But on a friendlier note why do these discussions always come up during the winter no riding season? Because we ain't riding.

Yeh your right ....

• Member Contributer

There is no "they" who designate the gen of a VFR...it is only in the US that such nomenclature exists and it is not to stir the pot but to help ease confusion when discussing which VF/VFR/Interceptor you are working on the electrical system of...

The 1200 was named a VFR by Honda.

The "new" is not available in the US where "generation" names solely exist.

If it does come here it is most assuredly an 8th gen as the differences between it and the 6G are much greater than the differences between the 3G and 4G.

Now, has anyone found a part number for the new rear swingarm yet? TexasMac will be here soon and I need to finish some mods...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm confused about all this designation argument C is for inline VF v-4 and VT is for twin, this is true Honda designation from the factory, and this section is for last gen. I agree that the 1200 should have it's own designation as first gen. VFT for touring, I don't remember any controversy about the CBR1100xx it was simply the BLACKBIRD but if you are old enough maybe you remember that CB evolved from sport to super sport to what we now only call sport and a compromise was made to make powerful and light machines who are about .7 to.9 liters, .8 to 1.2 are really different machines, engine is different in the 1200 than older VF bikes and if Honda uses the same engine in the new VFR then you can not argue that the successor is the new bike and the 1200 has it's own niche like the BLACKBIRD.

• Member Contributer

I'm confused about all this designation argument C is for inline VF v-4 and VT is for twin, this is true Honda designation from the factory, and this section is for last gen. I agree that the 1200 should have it's own designation as first gen. VFT for touring, I don't remember any controversy about the CBR1100xx it was simply the BLACKBIRD but if you are old enough maybe you remember that CB evolved from sport to super sport to what we now only call sport and a compromise was made to make powerful and light machines who are about .7 to.9 liters, .8 to 1.2 are really different machines, engine is different in the 1200 than older VF bikes and if Honda uses the same engine in the new VFR then you can not argue that the successor is the new bike and the 1200 has it's own niche like the BLACKBIRD.

The CBR125R is has a single-cylinder engine, which isn't really an "inline" anything. An ST is also a V4. NSRs are also V-twins, as are XLs. GLs are flat fours or sixes, I suppose. A CX is definitely not an inline...

You're looking at Model Names and trying to square that with engine configurations, but Honda has never been so rigid.

Ciao,

There is no "they" who designate the gen of a VFR...it is only in the US that such nomenclature exists

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I really have to contradict you on this one.

Anyone anywhere in the world who wants to discuss VFRs with like-minded owners will come across the generation designations sooner or later, and they will start to use them for their convenience. This is especially true of those who live in other English speaking countries, because they will come across the generation designations very quickly (eg: OzVFR in Australia uses the generation nomenclature extensively).

Yes, the nomenclature may well be largely decided by American owners (because the largest forums are based in the USA), but there is also input into the final vote on generational nomenclature from VFR owners all over the world, including owners from nations that don't have English as their official language.

It may not be Honda's nomenclature, but it's far from being isolated to the USA.

Sorry for contradicting you, but there's a wider picture that you seemed not to realise about.

• Member Contributer

CB is "Cross Beam"...CBR Cross Beam Racer, not necessarily inline as long as the engine is "cross beam" or perpendicular to the frame so I suppose one could stretch the definition of CBR to include the single cylinder 250.

Regarding the VFR1200F being a VF-T...I t would be a VFR1200T and I would be for it although no such animal (VF-T) exists (or at least has not been sold on any of the continents I have drooled over bikes on) but as with the CB (and CBRs) Honda have a history of the suffix defining their vision of the intended use of the bike. F is sport oriented, K was custom (CB750K) and once Honda could no longer keep Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawasaki at bay on the track with their street/sport oriented CBR600F4i (Cross Beam Racer displacing approximately 600cc in sport/street 4th generation with fuel injection) Honda had to build a Boy Racer.

Since in the early 2000's Bailey Rock was well on his way to infamy Honda's attorneys wisely chose not to go with CBR600BR and instead adopted a CBR600RR or Race Replica designation for the new middle weight.

Alas, with the death of Soichiro, it seems that the Accountants (seconded by the Marketing weenies) run the company now and the Engineers are left to reminisce so almost any engine configuration can be called almost anything today and when the bike doesn't sell well enough bring on the BNG!

There is no "they" who designate the gen of a VFR...it is only in the US that such nomenclature exists

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I really have to contradict you on this one.

Anyone anywhere in the world who wants to discuss VFRs with like-minded owners will come across the generation designations sooner or later, and they will start to use them for their convenience. This is especially true of those who live in other English speaking countries, because they will come across the generation designations very quickly (eg: OzVFR in Australia uses the generation nomenclature extensively).

Yes, the nomenclature may well be largely decided by American owners (because the largest forums are based in the USA), but there is also input into the final vote on generational nomenclature from VFR owners all over the world, including owners from nations that don't have English as their official language.

It may not be Honda's nomenclature, but it's far from being isolated to the USA.

Sorry for contradicting you, but there's a wider picture that you seemed not to realise about.

I haven't been to Australia since the early 80's (before Al Gore invented the internet) so I will take your word regarding the generational designation being used extensively in other English speaking countries especially in online forums. I was merely trying to answer the question from page 2 or 3 as to why the VFR400's (both NC30 and NC35) and the RC30's/RC45's have no generational designation.

I assumed (possibly incorrectly) that since the 400s specifically were available in England and Australia and had no generational designation then it was largely a contrivance of the US of A and not one to be braggadocio about as I tend to be more inclusive and would have loved to have a 400 here. I merely thought it easier for us simple American's to deal with than the VFR800Fix-j registration or whatever nonsense (to me) that I try to decipher when shopping for bikes and parts in other countries.

Either way the die is cast, the 2014 VFR800F is the 8th Gen and even the carrion have left this carcass of a discussion as there is nothing left of the old gray mare to beat. The bones are picked clean and it would take an archeologist to figure out what we are so passionately discussing.

I haven't been to Australia since the early 80's (before Al Gore invented the internet) so I will take your word regarding the generational designation being used extensively in other English speaking countries especially in online forums. I was merely trying to answer the question from page 2 or 3 as to why the VFR400's (both NC30 and NC35) and the RC30's/RC45's have no generational designation.

I assumed (possibly incorrectly) that since the 400s specifically were available in England and Australia and had no generational designation then it was largely a contrivance of the US of A and not one to be braggadocio about as I tend to be more inclusive and would have loved to have a 400 here. I merely thought it easier for us simple American's to deal with than the VFR800Fix-j registration or whatever nonsense (to me) that I try to decipher when shopping for bikes and parts in other countries.

Either way the die is cast, the 2014 VFR800F is the 8th Gen and even the carrion have left this carcass of a discussion as there is nothing left of the old gray mare to beat. The bones are picked clean and it would take an archeologist to figure out what we are so passionately discussing.

No worries mate. :)

My archeological skills weren't the best either, or I would've realised you were talking about the 400's. :)

Perhaps now is a good time to make generational designations for the 400's... ;)

Archived