1. 1. What Gen is it?

• its a 6.3
    • its an 8
    • its something else
    • i dont care

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Make it easy, like Porsche did with the 911 for the last 50 years and specify type (2.0 l, 2.7 l, S, RS, Carrera, Turbo etc.)

VFR 750F-model 1988

VFR 800 - model 1998 - model 2014

VFR1200F-model 2010 etc.

• Member Contributer

Wait, were does the RC30 fall then, if the '86-'87 Was Gen 1, '88-'89 Gen 2, '90-'93 Gen 3, what does that make the RC? It was a VFR750R, maybe Gen 0 since it came out first? ('86 in Japan if I remember correct).

Wait, were does the RC30 fall then, if the '86-'87 Was Gen 1, '88-'89 Gen 2, '90-'93 Gen 3, what does that make the RC? It was a VFR750R, maybe Gen 0 since it came out first? ('86 in Japan if I remember correct).

Nothing makes sence, even the name V-Four ROAD 750 RACE.

• Member Contributer

From a 6th gen to an 8th gen kinda implies major upgrades an improvements to the bike. The new 800 is more updates with the same frame and engine. A 5th to a 6th was a frame and engine change, this new 800 continues the carryover engine and frame. - A gen change seems to imply an engine/frame change.....

Just stirring the pot for fun, but I'm back to - ok its a 7th gen and the 1200 is a first gen 12. -- Oh, wait, there's no engine /frame change so how 'bout 6.5 gen?

(lol) :beer:

• Member Contributer

I would think it makes sense to call it a 7th gen and recategorize the 1200 as a 1st gen 1200.

My thoughts exactly! When the CBR900RR came out in '92 it was a new motorcycle, not a next generation CBR600. Aside from being a high quality V4 sport tourer, the VFR1200 doesn't have much in common with the VFR line. Is the VFR1200X a 7.5 Gen too?

• Member Contributer

Well, if a US member needs help in buying one in NL and ship it to the USA........ :-)

• Member Contributer

From a 6th gen to an 8th gen kinda implies major upgrades an improvements to the bike. The new 800 is more updates with the same frame and engine. A 5th to a 6th was a frame and engine change, this new 800 continues the carryover engine and frame. - A gen change seems to imply an engine/frame change.....

Just stirring the pot for fun, but I'm back to - ok its a 7th gen and the 1200 is a first gen 12. -- Oh, wait, there's no engine /frame change so how 'bout 6.5 gen?

(lol) :beer:

3rd and 4th gens are darn near identical. Does plastic changes count? It did in the early 90's. . .

• Member Contributer

So is this the end of the 7th Gen ???? I think so ....

I agree. The 7th gen was in some ways a victim of the times in which it was introduced - the worst economy in 50 years certainly did not help its fortunes. Honda sank a good amount of cash in to a clean sheet of paper design and with slow sales probably lost their shirt on it - and I'd guess has decided to cut its losses. There's no telling how many un-sold they have remaining, but they'll get ever harder to move as leftovers with an MSRP that's well above the '14 version. We can all say we want to about what we do or don't like here, but what we really communicate to Honda with is our Dollars, not our keyboards. Hopefully the '14 will do well.

• Member Contributer

So is this the end of the 7th Gen ???? I think so ....

I agree. The 7th gen was in some ways a victim of the times in which it was introduced - the worst economy in 50 years certainly did not help its fortunes. Honda sank a good amount of cash in to a clean sheet of paper design and with slow sales probably lost their shirt on it - and I'd guess has decided to cut its losses. There's no telling how many un-sold they have remaining, but they'll get ever harder to move as leftovers with an MSRP that's well above the '14 version. We can all say we want to about what we do or don't like here, but what we really communicate to Honda with is our Dollars, not our keyboards. Hopefully the '14 will do well.

Or maybe it becomes the basis for the 3rd gen ST...following the ST1100 and ST1300

Good question about where the RC30 falls in 'generational status" but the 86-87 was actually the 2nd generation Interceptor/VF/VFR and the RC30 was homologation race special. The 83-85 was the 1G gen Interceptor V45F / VF750F whatever the country designation was depends on where you live.

Oh, c'mon. The VTR250 wasn't even a V4!

The "generation" thing was always a US invention, as it completely ignored the ROW. As a result, it is impossible for it to "make sense", so if people want to call the new VTEC the "8th-gen", sure, why not. Honda will never use that terminology, but it is helpful to know which is which if you want to be understood by Yanks... :cool:

Ciao,

I didn't say it was a V4 (it is obviously a Vtwin) but it was dubbed an Interceptor here in the US and it was the love child of two V4's as the engine was developed.

And it is easier to understand what Gen you have than to decipher the registration year followed by a random alphabetical suffix as you Brits do (at least to us simple Yanks.)

Stop complicating things, my psych meds don't allow for such cooler thought processes. The first VTEC was the 6th gen.. Some people contrived the 6.5 gen when Honda made some minor improvements to the wiring harness and VTEC engagement configuration, but they were very slight mods.. Hence the plus 0.5

We have now lived with the 1200 extra-officially as the 7th gen for several years now.. It's just popular jargon for making life easier and doesn't require Honda's blessing.

So why complicate things?

This new version has a new nomenclature albeit only an F at the end: VFR800F

And it has enough modifications to more than justify a new street gen ID as the 8th gen: complete aesthetic update, new SSSA, forks, brakes, console, electronics, TC, rims, shnitzel loads of new bits. Only the frame and crankcase are the same.

It's an 8th gen.

Now go ride your bike!!

Stop complicating things, my psych meds don't allow for such cooler thought processes. The first VTEC was the 6th gen.. Some people contrived the 6.5 gen when Honda made some minor improvements to the wiring harness and VTEC engagement configuration, but they were very slight mods.. Hence the plus 0.5

We have now lived with the 1200 extra-officially as the 7th gen for several years now.. It's just popular jargon for making life easier and doesn't require Honda's blessing.

So why complicate things?

This new version has a new nomenclature albeit only an F at the end: VFR800F

And it has enough modifications to more than justify a new street gen ID as the 8th gen: complete aesthetic update, new SSSA, forks, brakes, console, electronics, TC, rims, shnitzel loads of new bits. Only the frame and crankcase are the same.

It's an 8th gen.

Now go ride your bike!!

+1

• Member Contributer

I was hoping to find the I DON'T CARE vote on there and it was there.

Thank you.

• Member Contributer

It's 5.5...a hybrid of 5th & 6th Gens.

:laughing6-hehe:

Hey, there's no 7th gen button.

That is simple, because the 7th gen came out 4 years ago as 2010 model...you can check that section of this forum. They are a pretty good bike for intrastate-two-up sport-touring.

Archived