New Vfr800 Vtec Will Be Introduced At Eicma.

V4 Rosso

Do those disappointed with the looks of the new VFR800 prefer the new MV Agusta Tourismo Veloce? Fyi, I don't.

Yes, definitely. Honestly though, I was hoping the Turismo Veloce would be a bit less adventure-y and more sportbike-y. Oh well. Still like it more than the vanilla-plain Honda. The new VFR800's not bad, just not exciting.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do those disappointed with the looks of the new VFR800 prefer the new MV Agusta Tourismo Veloce? Fyi, I don't.

Yes as a matter of fact I do. Unfortunately I see a pattern evolving at Honda, warmed over products that use the cash cow product lines and just trickle the technology to make them seem truly current...

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/honda-to-offer-sharpened-cbr1000rr-sp-in-2014/

Honda is so far behind other sports bike's the kawa,ducati,aprilla,bmw,it's rather sad.The new vfr 800 is where it should have been in 2006 not 2014

• Member Contributer

Yes as a matter of fact I do. Unfortunately I see a pattern evolving at Honda, warmed over products that use the cash cow product lines and just trickle the technology to make them seem truly current...

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/honda-to-offer-sharpened-cbr1000rr-sp-in-2014/

Honda is so far behind other sports bike's the kawa,ducati,aprilla,bmw,it's rather sad.The new vfr 800 is where it should have been in 2006 not 2014

According to America Honda that new VFR800F will not be available as a 2014 model.... link above.

• Member Contributer

Boo on American Honda. That's ok, my Gen 6 is just about perfect now once I add my recently aquired Leos. I prefer the look of my RWB anyways.

• Member Contributer

Looks like a CBR. Interesting they put traction control, or maybe it's an option. Improvements look promising for someone itching for a new bike. It certainly is an interesting development considering all of the other bikes Honda has in its lineup.

Good God. I usually lurk to read up on tech and maintenance info for my bike. (07 RWB + 55K miles, purchased new in 2010). It is a fantastic sport-touring bike, (which means nessasary compromises) as most here should know, and I would assume it's why you all purchased one. I have no doubt Honda did research this among it's euro customers to update it for its real mission (ST). I lived in Europe for 15 years and the bike was popular for what it is. I have been watching a lot of you folks happily describing purchasing plenty of new leftovers for great prices, which of course means it doesn't sell here, so why would they bring it? All this crying about what this new one is not (super sport or luxo- tourer) is kind of strange really.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, I don't post much and this is one of the better moto sites, but this thread got me. (at work!)

Gorp

According to America Honda that new VFR800F will not be available as a 2014 model.... link above.

Well, thanks to them for saving me the trouble. You'll see me at my local MV dealer soon...or on an FZ-09. Nice work Honda!

and the absence of solo cowl installed.

Here it is with seat cowl:

BYQOUa8CQAAG3uJ.jpg

-Where is the luggage? Hopfeully its as good as the 6th gens- and actually holds a full face helmet in EACH bag.

No word on the size of the panniers but the top box has a capacity of 45L and my Givi 45L case can store a FF helmet size large.

A hugger will also be on the options list.

Good God. I usually lurk to read up on tech and maintenance info for my bike. (07 RWB + 55K miles, purchased new in 2010). It is a fantastic sport-touring bike, (which means nessasary compromises) as most here should know, and I would assume it's why you all purchased one. I have no doubt Honda did research this among it's euro customers to update it for its real mission (ST). I lived in Europe for 15 years and the bike was popular for what it is. I have been watching a lot of you folks happily describing purchasing plenty of new leftovers for great prices, which of course means it doesn't sell here, so why would they bring it? All this crying about what this new one is not (super sport or luxo- tourer) is kind of strange really.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, I don't post much and this is one of the better moto sites, but this thread got me. (at work!)

Go

No crying here just the facts,But traction control @ that level of performance,and not a slipper clutch is kind of strange really!!!!!!!!!!

I enjoyed my 5th gen for many years however gotta,keep pace with the times :wacko:

• Member Contributer

Gorp

I do agree with you, VFR riders are a funny bunch! I call it charming eccentricity!

That is definitely a re-used CBR fender - which means a carbon version will be easy to find.

I wonder what diameter the forks are.

May actually have to go to NYC for the bike show, if they bring this over.

No crying here just the facts,But traction control @ that level of performance,and not a slipper clutch is kind of strange really!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, and what's up with the heated grips, who needs that on a track bike :biggrin:

Not everyone uses his VFR only for weekend trips but e.g. use it for a commuter bike and in less favourable conditions. Over here some have a company bike instead of a company car and this time of year with all the leaves and rain the roads get slippery and these electronic aids can help to avoid a spill.

I've had, on my even less powerfull 3rd gen, the rear spin when doing 100km/h on the freeway in heavy rain and opening the throttle.

But the TC has a switch so you can turn it off.

I wonder what diameter the forks are.

43mm. It wouldn't surprise me if the geometry of the triples is exactly the same as the current 6th gen.

No mention of DCBS.

• Member Contributer

I'm just happy that they're bringing back a proper NACA duct.
:biggrin:

I'd like to see them do a CBR exhaust treatment on the VFR. I like the looks of underseat, but the Buell concept makes much more sense.

• Member Contributer
. Looks like the wheel could be swapped if you change the axle. Wonder if the front could sneak on a 5th gen with a rotor change. The swing arm looks like it would be lighter.

That's what I was thinking. The drive side of the hub looks to be out of the parts bin, so presuming the same offsets and axle diameters, it's a good bet someone's going to be figuring out fast how to make 8 spoke wheel swaps seem old school. If the 5 bolt pattern is the same, maybe some 10 spokers will end up on 7th gens too.

This is a big surprise to me - after releasing the 7th gen I didn't think anything similar to a 5th/6th gen would ever re-appear. What I don't get is why, oh why didn't they punch it out to 1000 cc and ditch the V-tec . . . Would love to have had the GDC's back too, but that's probably some EPA noise reg thing. While I wouldn't invade my wallet just yet to get one, am I ever happy that Honda still has their eye on the V-4 SS swingarm formula!

By the way - V4 Rosso - great catch! Thanks for posting!

BYQOUa8CQAAG3uJ.jpg

-Where is the luggage? Hopfeully its as good as the 6th gens- and actually holds a full face helmet in EACH bag.

No word on the size of the panniers but the top box has a capacity of 45L and my Givi 45L case can store a FF helmet size large.

that picture really shows the 5th gen style influence on it. However, I think they took it too far and kept that damn side mount can.

So much has already been said, and I agree with a lot of it. There is nothing truly new about this bike. The VFR used to be a showcase, now it is a parts bin bike?

I like the bike, but I don't love it. Definitely not "Love at first sight" like I had on the 5th & 6th gen.

• Member Contributer

BYQOUa8CQAAG3uJ.jpg

that picture really shows the 5th gen style influence on it. However, I think they took it too far and kept that damn side mount can.

So much has already been said, and I agree with a lot of it. There is nothing truly new about this bike. The VFR used to be a showcase, now it is a parts bin bike?

I like the bike, but I don't love it. Definitely not "Love at first sight" like I had on the 5th & 6th gen.

Let's hope it doesn't have those god awful gear driven cams. :goofy:

But really folks it may not make it to the U.S.

• Member Contributer

I like the looks of the previous generations. However, for someone who is new to the model, it has some interesting and value adds like ABS. The bike was and is very much a Euro focussed ride = handling, all round capability and refinement being paramount. Not the biggest motivators for North American sales. :wacko: Enjoyed profiting from the clear out prices but business wise, a risky decision to import in a slow economic environment. Possibly limited volumes/special order?

This is Honda's "Screaming Eagle" edition VFR.... They took a page out of HD's cutting edge research and development department.

Well look at the bright side... many of the parts will be interchangable with your 5th or 6th Gen.

What really got me hard was the heated grips!!! Way to throw in an easy upgrade Honda that anyone can add to any bike.

The 10kg weight loss must have came from replacing the 6th Gen Goldwing mufflers with the 1980's style CBR250 muffler...

Honda has a whole wharehouse of RC51 square tail lamps left... to be featured on the completely redesigned 2015 VFR!

I saw on www.bikeme.tv that Honda have released a new Fireblade and VFR for 2014. Traction control, ABS, heated grips, adjustable seat height and self-canceling turn signals, 10kg less weight...

They kept the VTEC, dammit.

Most detail I can find is here.

It looks like they won't be shipping to the USA.

Shame.

Archived