New Vfr800 Vtec Will Be Introduced At Eicma.

V4 Rosso

• Member Contributer

I'm going to say MSRP around $12k USD. With the electronics on it and all it's going to be above $10k. I think it's a good follow up to the 6th gen. Still wondering why they didn't just parts bin and put on one of the CBR fronts. Maybe length was an issue. It wouldn't be good bean-counter designing if they came up with unique front suspension, brakes, and wheels just for the VFR. Maybe this stuff is off of another bike, like CB1000R?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And if luggage isn't an option, bolt a 6th gen tail, luggage rack, and undertail exhaust?

It looks to me luggage will be an option. Judging from the odd extension off the rear peg hangers and what appear to be two slots just below the seat, I think luggage will mount without requiring additional brackets. Similar to the way it does on my Multi.

I really, really want to like this but I just don't. Not great to look at, and not really a step forward.

Which means you can look forward to finding one in my garage within the year haha.

• Member Contributer

I'll be right in line to buy one!! Finally Honda starts listening to us! We might not have gotten everything we wanted, but personally I would've been happy if they simply kept making the 6th gen. Less weight would be nice, but you can shave some by changing the exhaust. Loving the new swingarm, and I can even live with the front end. It didn't get the full Neanderthal sloping forehead of the 1200, thankfully!

Am I the only one that thinks they see Brembo on the front calipers?

And if luggage isn't an option, bolt a 6th gen tail, luggage rack, and undertail exhaust?

It looks to me luggage will be an option. Judging from the odd extension off the rear peg hangers and what appear to be two slots just below the seat, I think luggage will mount without requiring additional brackets. Similar to the way it does on my Multi.

Yup.

I want to see a front shot

Also curious to know how 1 extra cc (782 vs 781) makes an extra 6.5 hp?

• Member Contributer

Yup.I want to see a front shot

I thought that was a crankcase figure and not at the backwheel...

• Member Contributer

It looks very very plain. Downright boring except for the wheels and new dash. That front end is bordering on ugly.

Sorry Honda, I am not in the least bit tempted to get this bike.

The Fireblade on the other hand looks ace.

• Member Contributer

if it has the vtec same engine as the 2007 i had honda again lost another sale- Ill stick with my gear driven cam vfr 700--

You didn't like your 07? I love mine, 50,000miles later and that V-Tech is still sweet music to my eats when it kicks, and smooth as can be when it happens.

So does this mean the 1200 is gone? Or are we going to have two bikes in production with the VFR badge of them?

However is it just me, or does it look a bit like an old 600 Katana from a few of the side shots. Just the way the head lights are cut on the side, with that near straight and level pipe.

Maybe, but they are Tokico calipers. :biggrin:

According to an Italian website the new front mounted radiator makes the bike 40mm narrower (in that area) than the current vtec.

When compared to the speclist on Honda UK's website the new VTEC is less powerfull.

• Member Contributer

Yes that is the same set up as the 1200, which is one of the first things I noticed about the rear end.

I'll be right in line to buy one!! Finally Honda starts listening to us! We might not have gotten everything we wanted, but personally I would've been happy if they simply kept making the 6th gen. Less weight would be nice, but you can shave some by changing the exhaust. Loving the new swingarm, and I can even live with the front end. It didn't get the full Neanderthal sloping forehead of the 1200, thankfully!

Funny how every time Honda comes out with a new VFR, people freak out about the looks. I recall the 98 VFR's were called Klingons, since they were so terrible, the VTECS, were the ugliest bastard child ever, the 1200 is an ugly neanderthal/buffalo, so it will be curious to see the nickname of this one!

if it has the vtec same engine as the 2007 i had honda again lost another sale- Ill stick with my gear driven cam vfr 700--

No offense, but I doubt Honda cares about the rider who stubbornly is riding a 30 year old machine, or even the 15 year old hold outs. The model has some interesting improvements, rider improvements, creature comforts, motor tweaks, suspension improvements, totally new look than the VTEC.

I think it is an evolution, perhaps a new motor and electro-adj. suspension will be in the works in 3 or 4 years...

• Member Contributer

So are we going to have to cut holes and modify coolant reservoirs to mount frame sliders on this gen too?

• Member Contributer

The thing looks like engineering was forced to go through a big cost reduction exercise.

More

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/2014-honda-vfr800f/23894.html

--Same frame so the tail would go on a 6th or the 6th gen tail would go on (is this the 8th?) the new bike. Looks like the wheel could be swapped if you change the axle. Wonder if the front could sneak on a 5th gen with a rotor change. The swing arm looks like it would be lighter.

He he he. Lotsa new farkle ideas. :biggrin:

Oh -- no linked brakes?

Whoa - does the 1200 now become a 1st gen 12 and the new 800 become the true 7th? :goofy:

If the 6th gen tail fits, I may have to reconsider. Bolt it up, put a couple Leo Vinces on there and call it good. I don't like the front, but it's not like that stopped me from buying a 7th.

5.7 gallon tank is nice too. It'll be interesting to see if, as a parts bin special, the sum is greater than the parts.

The frame is the same, so this is the 6 1/2th gen?

• Member Contributer

Front end (in the video at least) is a little reminiscent of the 5th gen. Looks interesting and wonder if it will make the NA motorcycle shows early in the new year.

Potential for a replacement of my '04 6th gen, but not until 2015 or later. On par for Honda releases, I'd let it launch and then price drop.

Wonder who will have one at the SumSum 3? Maybe mother Honda herself?

For the most part I like the new VFR but I still would take it without vtec.

The new CBR SP looks to be ready for the track. I bet it will come at a very hefty price though with that suspension and brakes. My 06 CBR track bike is still doing just fine and its paid for. lol

• Member Contributer

The thing looks like engineering was forced to go through a big cost reduction exercise.

<snip>

Whoa - does the 1200 now become a 1st gen 12 and the new 800 become the true 7th? :goofy:

It looks a little generic, but after 2 years it will look as normal as a CBR600R did when they first came out after the F4i. I thought they looked "boring and generic" but like the looks of them now...

I am not sure what we should call the 12 vs new 8! Controversy in VFRland!

• Member Contributer

Yup.

The marketing guys (are you watching this thread George?) tout in the video from the show that it is 22 lbs lighter (10 kilo actually) and that it has revised engine settings for improved mid range...I do believe the current bikes were rated around the same peak power at the crank though.

In the profile it does resemble the newer Hondas but to me more of the CBR and less of the VFR1200 is there so meh *shrug*...

I think the front calipers read Tokico and I would prefer the Honda-owned Nissin but at least they are radial mount.

It is the 8th generation VFour from Honda so no controversy there with nomenclature.

Maybe Honda is watching, and maybe they included normal forks on purpose, just for the sheer entertainment of watching us change them out...

Or just leaving room for upgrades on future models.

• Member Contributer

Do those disappointed with the looks of the new VFR800 prefer the new MV Agusta Tourismo Veloce? Fyi, I don't.

Yes as a matter of fact I do. Unfortunately I see a pattern evolving at Honda, warmed over products that use the cash cow product lines and just trickle the technology to make them seem truly current...

Another 20HP would have made right by me. Come on, it has been 13 years, so 20 HP out of the same engine should be a walk in the park. Direct injection or something.

That being said, I want one.

Archived