Is There Pcv For 5Th Gen Vfr?

Guest rocketz

• Member Contributer

Well, I've done it...without success. The theory is that any PCV (not just one made for a VTEC) should work if it has the right connectors, but I couldn't get mine to work properly, but I never had the time to troubleshoot it properly. I hope it can be made to work, because I also have a PVC Autotune and the LCD display that only works with a PCV!

I'm not sure if my problem was with the wiring, or with the (converted) maps I was using, but when I swapped back to a PC-III USB (using the same map) it worked perfectly... Good luck!

Ciao,

• 8 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Little help... Rapid Bike is only making the harnesses for VFR800 2002 - up, so I need to find out what the brilliant people on here have done to make a PCV for the 6th gen work with a 5th gen...

Which 6th gen PCV works with the 5th gen?

Is it '02-'05 or '06-'09?

What needs to be done to get it to work?

Does it work with the '98-'99 ECM since there is no O2 sensors & no closed loop FI?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks...

• Member Contributer

I don't recall offhand which VTEC model my PCV was supposed to be used on. (Maybe that's the problem!)

I can tell you that it plugs straight into the 5th-gen harness. My bike is a Y2k, so it's got O2 sensor eliminators installed into the wiring harness.

To clarify, the problem was that the engine just ran like crap with the PCV installed, and just sang when I swapped it for a PCIII-USB running the same map (apart from the extra data fields on the PCV map being populated with averages of the adjacent columns). I'm sure it is a solvable problem, given enough time (which I, unfortunately, don't have). Good luck!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Little help... Rapid Bike is only making the harnesses for VFR800 2002 - up, so I need to find out what the brilliant people on here have done to make a PCV for the 6th gen work with a 5th gen...

Which 6th gen PCV works with the 5th gen?

Is it '02-'05 or '06-'09?

What needs to be done to get it to work?

Does it work with the '98-'99 ECM since there is no O2 sensors & no closed loop FI?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Bingo - that's the question - the '98s/'99s were open loop fueling

(and especially since the TBR thread is going on.)

• Member Contributer

Works just fine on my bike, been on there for 3 years now with auto tune. No problems or troubleshooting necessary, part number 16-005. Pretty much plug and go.

JZH, do you know what model PCV you had? What problems did you run into?

• Member Contributer

Works just fine on my bike, been on there for 3 years now with auto tune. No problems or troubleshooting necessary, part number 16-005. Pretty much plug and go.

JZH, do you know what model PCV you had? What problems did you run into?

Installed on your '98?

• Member Contributer

Yep, its on a 98.

Oh, and to clarify on Rush's question about model year. To the best of my knowledge, the only difference between the 02-05 and 06-09 models is the map loaded on the PCV, they all use 16-005 "modules". Of course I didn't use any of the maps that were available. I just plugged it in, intalled a zero map and let the auto tune handle it all. I did a few things like lean out the target AFR a bit at cruising speed and richen it up at low rpms. The PCV allows you to auto tune a map for each gear, however, you loose "map switching" if that is important. If you really wanted map switching, you could let the autotune come to roughly an equillibrium (low fuel trim changes) and then disable autotune. With autotune off, you could load a "race" map with different fueling characteristics and enable map swaps.

• 5 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Just got my PCV for 98. imported maps from PC III. yet to plug and check.

anyone fiddled with the accelerator pump on the PCV like the one on PC III ?

Archived