Metal Gear Brake Parts

Vee-Ef-Ar

• Member Contributer

Upon changing my front tyre this morning I notice I needed brake pads. Kinda wanted them today so did the usual ring around and came across a brand and distributor (local) I never heard of. Metal Gear - http://www.metalgear.com.au/

I think they've come out of NZ and have set up just down the road from me.

Furious googling later I got mixed reviews. The discs rated well, while mixed for the pads, but I thought for the $31 price for sintered pads and to have them in my hands in a few hours, I thought I would at least try them and see.

Just putting this out into the forum to see if anyone else have tried them and their thoughts. I've yet to install the pads and will be following up my review later.

Their website lists both organic and sintered pads for all VFRs, as well as discs and I also saw sprockets in store. http://metalgear.com.au/searchByBikeModel.php?model_name=VFR&search_bikes=Find+Bike

They were pleasant to deal with and good price.

img1-5603.jpgimg2-6291.jpg

Stay tuned...

Yep, I had Metalgear discs and sintered pads on my old 5th gen (all three positions). The pads didn't really want to stop the bike from 20km/h for the first 20ish brake applications (yes, I had pumped the brakes before rolling out the driveway), but then they started to bed in, and braking power became acceptable at all speeds by about 60-70 brake applications. They were good enough, but nothing special. Very soft initial bite, with increased stopping power with increased lever pressure, but I always thought that I needed to use the rear pedal to get full braking power from the front (same as the Nissin pads I've just removed from my new 5th gen). Disc wear was minimal after 20,000km, and the pads were still good.

I've just put a set of SBS sintered pads into the front of my new 5th gen. Straight away they had as much stopping power as the Metalgear ones ended up with, and they only got better from there. I took the bike to the track at Phillip Island yesterday, and they performed very well at all speeds including an indicated 230km/h where I chickened out and hit the anchors about 200m too early on the main straight. However, I get the impression that these pads might result in more disc wear. There's also more initial bite than stock, but it isn't too much, and I'm getting used to it.

My recommendation is to use the SBS sintered pads with the Metalgear discs because their discs are cheap, so they won't break the bank when the SBS pads wear them out.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for your thoughts Danny. Just good to hear they weren't a nightmare.

For the price I'm not expecting track day stopping power and the system is completely stock.

Bit of a stop gap before the RC51 gear goes on.

Should be out for a bed-in tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Well I have had plenty of time to bed these things in, and I must say I am quite impressed.

I actually prefer these over the EBC Sinter for street riding.

The initial grab, even when cool, feels much better. The power is very progressive.

Might have to order a few more sets while the price and stock is good.

Archived