Veefer Madness

paladinreed

• Member Contributer

What's the goal on clutch master cylinder? The RC51 slave cylinder and VFR are the same part. I've got the RC master on my VFR. I don't have the numbers on hand, but I think most of the Duc masters out there are the same size.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

What's the goal on clutch master cylinder? The RC51 slave cylinder and VFR are the same part. I've got the RC master on my VFR. I don't have the numbers on hand, but I think most of the Duc masters out there are the same size.

Once again with this build. It is aesthetic. I prefer the look of the newer age masters without all the bulk. I just think the large square style res is a little dated looking on the streetfighter. On an oem or oem+ bike they look well and good but it won't match the gsxr stuff on the other side either.

• Member Contributer

Good stuff :) Two questions, do you have any idea if the bottom of the rad is going to interfere with the front wheel? Also, are you going to reinforce the backside of the upper triple for the riser mounts?

+1 I would have to fill the void on the back of the upper riser with a piece of flat alum cut to fit that area.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, that's why I went with the RC master.

Gotta have the remote reservoir bottles. I did all VTR.

Looking good !!!!!

The Alu. stock cut to fit is what I was thinking too. It would act as a big washer to distribute the load. Just insurance really.

• Member Contributer

It's possible the upper triple might be fine without reinforcement… but the casting on these sport bike upper triples in quite thin and not designed to support risers in that location. Wether or not it's strong enough is ultimately up to you but it's an easy modification to reinforce the backside with aluminum plate cut to fit in the recesses. I also JB-welded mine in to fill in any gaps and add a little more strength. It's a mod I've seen many "custom fighter" members do and cheap insurance in my opinion. Anyway, just want to warn a fellow rider about a potential safety issue. I know many people probably wouldn't even consider what I've done completely safe.

post-20150-0-53098700-1390362346.jpg

• Member Contributer

As a layman I would think that the area is sufficiently strong without reinforcement. First of all the alloy casting is close to 4mm thick even at the thinnest point where the hole is drilled. On the bottom side there is a large m8 bolt secured by a 17mm self locking nut with a 1 inch washer (another 4mm or so thick). With that said there is nearly one quarter inch of steel and alloy that the risers and bars are secured to.

I'm going to guess that in the event of an impact violent enough to crack, break, or shear these components, the least of my worries will be whether or not I still have control of the bike via the handlebars. (It should also go without saying that this will not be a stunt bike required to take punishment in the form of sustained front end abuse setting down wheelies etc.)

But with that said, I am no expert.

One question Andy. Did you JB weld and secure the riser bolt at the same time for initial bonding of the Alu stock to the bottom of the riser? Or did you clamp it etc? If anything I would worry about the degradation of the liquid weld over time and the potential for cracking or breaking between the stock and clamp when torqueing the riser bolts. I don't have a lot of experience with liquid weld products but I thought they were a little prone to essentially drying out over time.

• Member Contributer

^^^ Now that I would reinforce. By eyeball I'd say I have at least 2mm more material on the GSXR triple than the modified triple above. I will however see if I can get a total width of the triple and washer mounted together to see exactly what Im working with.

• Member Contributer

One question Andy. Did you JB weld and secure the riser bolt at the same time for initial bonding of the Alu stock to the bottom of the riser? Or did you clamp it etc? If anything I would worry about the degradation of the liquid weld over time and the potential for cracking or breaking between the stock and clamp when torqueing the riser bolts. I don't have a lot of experience with liquid weld products but I thought they were a little prone to essentially drying out over time.

I first fit the aluminum plate to fit as flush as possible, then bolted the risers down with the Jb weld "wet". I am not so much relying on Jb weld for strength and it's adhering properties as much as just adding a compound to fill any small voids between the aluminum spacer and the triple.

Take it off the stand and sit on it first, it always looks a little high when the front wheel is on the ground and the back is a few inches in the air. Put it on the side stand and have a look, and sit on it and see if it feels too high. If the plastic "looks" right, you can put extra foam on the seat to level it out a bit so you don't crush your nuts on the tank.

The line in the tail matches the line in the tank fairly well IMO.They flow nicely. It might be a little long though.

If it was mine, i'd also change the angle of the exhaust, it looks too vertical to me. I know it shows off the rear wheel pretty well how it is, but it doesn't match any other line on the bike.

• Member Contributer

It think it looks a little high appearance wise, but this will always be personal preference. If you could shorten it a touch or move it forward a bit I think that would be a good change. As for the angle of the seat, I've said it before and I know not everyone cares as much, but seat angle that slopes you into the tank ruins any sort of ride comfort. And sitting on the bike in the garage to see how it feels is better than nothing, but it's the same with sitting on the bike in a dealer… it doesn't mean much until you actually get to ride it for more than 30min. In the end if you like the look of the high tail and don't care too much about comfort over 30min of riding then you'll probably be fine, but for me, I know riding a bike with a seat sloped like that would ruin the riding experience. Just my two cents.

Your doing good work on this bike and it's taking shape nicely. And everyone will always have different opinions on style :)

• Member Contributer

I think I'll need to shorten the sub about an inch and lower it about an inch. Thoughts?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

OK, not a huge fan CF's because I generally ride several hours to where I want to ride for several days.

That being said, I also don't know a lot about you and your GF/Wife's bedroom activity but looking at the pic above (and I know the wheel is in the air on the rear stand) I don't think that blowing that exhaust up towards her visor is not going to make up for the fact that her arse is above the top of the tank and she is precariously perched on the back with her knees (maybe) near your shoulder/ears depending on where you place the rear pegs...not all in all a bad position but probably less than desirable for riding on public roads even for 30 minutes.

I agree with posting up a few pics of it on the side stand and probably shortening the rear subframe about 30-35mm and lowering it a few degrees.

BTW, great work getting to this point regardless of my lack of taste in enjoying your selection of accessories. I did like the partial pic several pages back of the M3 wheels. :beer:

• Member Contributer

Take it off the stand and sit on it first, it always looks a little high when the front wheel is on the ground and the back is a few inches in the air. Put it on the side stand and have a look, and sit on it and see if it feels too high. If the plastic "looks" right, you can put extra foam on the seat to level it out a bit so you don't crush your nuts on the tank.

The line in the tail matches the line in the tank fairly well IMO.They flow nicely. It might be a little long though.

If it was mine, i'd also change the angle of the exhaust, it looks too vertical to me. I know it shows off the rear wheel pretty well how it is, but it doesn't match any other line on the bike.

stubby can is stubby bro heh. I agree however, maybe I'll take a look at it as a high mount

It think it looks a little high appearance wise, but this will always be personal preference. If you could shorten it a touch or move it forward a bit I think that would be a good change. As for the angle of the seat, I've said it before and I know not everyone cares as much, but seat angle that slopes you into the tank ruins any sort of ride comfort. And sitting on the bike in the garage to see how it feels is better than nothing, but it's the same with sitting on the bike in a dealer… it doesn't mean much until you actually get to ride it for more than 30min. In the end if you like the look of the high tail and don't care too much about comfort over 30min of riding then you'll probably be fine, but for me, I know riding a bike with a seat sloped like that would ruin the riding experience. Just my two cents.

Your doing good work on this bike and it's taking shape nicely. And everyone will always have different opinions on style :)

I agree on the comfort thing. It may be unrealistic but I would like to set the bike up in such a way that even a 4-5 hour ride is somewhat comfortable. Im convinced I will need to lower and shorten it altogether by 20-30mm. I wanted to however, put it all together with the factory swingarm-to-frame geometry before I go changing that measurement with the height of my custom 954 shock mount/spring height and preload adjuster etc.

You see, this is where it becomes black magic to me as far as steering and handling dynamics. If I shortened the sub then I could just adjust out the extreme angle with the mount or the shock setting but I don't want to adversely affect handling.

Looking better but loose the stickers on the tank .. :goofy:

The German flag color scheme is pure coincidence and will not be staying lol. Stickers will go soon :)

I think I'll need to shorten the sub about an inch and lower it about an inch. Thoughts?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

OK, not a huge fan CF's because I generally ride several hours to where I want to ride for several days.

That being said, I also don't know a lot about you and your GF/Wife's bedroom activity but looking at the pic above (and I know the wheel is in the air on the rear stand) I don't think that blowing that exhaust up towards her visor is not going to make up for the fact that her arse is above the top of the tank and she is precariously perched on the back with her knees (maybe) near your shoulder/ears depending on where you place the rear pegs...not all in all a bad position but probably less than desirable for riding on public roads even for 30 minutes.

I agree with posting up a few pics of it on the side stand and probably shortening the rear subframe about 30-35mm and lowering it a few degrees.

BTW, great work getting to this point regardless of my lack of taste in enjoying your selection of accessories. I did like the partial pic several pages back of the M3 wheels. :beer:

Thanks for the feedback. It took half a bottle of wine to convince her to briefly go out in the 9 degree weather last night. I wanted to see precisely how extreme it was for her up there. You're right, she is a bit "perched". Not having had the passenger pegs on complicated it a bit as well but all in all it wasn't terrible with us 2up just sitting on it.

Needless to say, overall the angle was more extreme and the suspension compression wasn't as significant a factor as I thought it was going to be so I'll chop up the sub again.

Speaking of wheels, the RS should be finished by the end of the week hopefully and out the door to me.

• Member Contributer

Speaking of wheels, the RS should be finished by the end of the week hopefully and out the door to me.

Maybe I missed it, but what are the dimensions for that wheel? I'm excited to see it on the bike. :happy:

• Member Contributer

Maybe I missed it, but what are the dimensions for that wheel? I'm excited to see it on the bike. :happy:

17x6

et +13

Ended up coming in at just under 13 lbs :fing02:

Pretty happy about that.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived