Veefer Madness

paladinreed

• Member Contributer

Dug around a bit. Came out the end not very happy.

post-28606-0-12724400-1397585181.jpg

This wire (green with gray dashes? Couldn't find it on the diagram) is burnt up all the way up the harness at least to the front bank of cyl where I stopped.

It bundles into a large sum of other green wires into this bridge. Anyone know what this guy is? I'm not seeing it on the diagram either.

post-28606-0-65236600-1397585199.jpg

Don't know what I've got going on here.

post-28606-0-90603000-1397585526.jpg

Heres another of the bridge.

did get the rear brake line ran.

post-28606-0-76066300-1397585560.jpg

post-28606-0-67417300-1397585626.jpg

Finished the headlight brackets as well. Easy and cheap

post-28606-0-21663900-1397585657.jpg

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Ordered a couple of yards of this brushed blue vinyl from the 3m 1080 line.

I kinda feel bad but after talking with the vinyl shop he told me they'd likely have to do it in overlapping sections (which was my concern when doing it DIY) and that it would take about 4 hours at $75 an hour to wrap it plus materials.

After thinking on it I decided that I'd save the money and do it myself. (Looks like I'll be needing a new harness....)

I'll just take my time and cut the pieces well and I think I can get a decent result. This is fairly short term so I can always change it but materials were under $100 and I got a yard of flat black as well. Was going to be looking at $300+ for the shop to do it and they were still going to have seams in the final result.

post-28606-0-99142400-1397591357.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hey Pala,

that brake line route looks like trouble. Right at the pipe.

un44named

From the angle of my pic it looks close, but it is well clear of the exhaust pipe.

mine goes around front of the shock then loops back. clear from heat and obstructions.

Looking good!

• Member Contributer

Pretty sure all of those green wires are ground. Same for the green with grey dotted lines…. it would probably just show up as green on the diagram.

• Member Contributer

Pretty sure all of those green wires are ground. Same for the green with grey dotted lines…. it would probably just show up as green on the diagram.

Yeah they have destinations on the front of the harness I'm seeing but I don't know what that bridge connector was. It was taped all up inside the harness but it sure looked shoddy. Regardless, I still haven't found the place where it ends but it's toasted and I can't bring myself to trust this harness.

I had to spring for a harness removed from a running bike that claims to be completely unmolested and hope it plugs right in and fires. $50 I didn't want to spend but hopefully my wrap job ends up being significantly less than I planned for.

Decided to stop and think for a sec, and saw a little puff of smoke down but the hharness.

Well that's the problem right there. Those holes in the plastic coating on the wires has let the magic smoke out. Once the magic smoke comes out, the electricity stops working. And as we all know, it is really hard to get the smoke back in.

• Member Contributer

Well as one might imagine I'm generally keen on as much magic smoke as I can get my hands on, however, this stuff just left my bike as nothing more than a 450 lb paperweight AND I didn't even get 3 wishes...

Sucks man.

Regardless, a new harness should be here soon and all will be well with the world.

I'm still just captivated by the open manifold growls that were coughing from the viffer before the harness did itself in. Wow what a noise.

Yeah they have destinations on the front of the harness I'm seeing but I don't know what that bridge connector was. It was taped all up inside the harness but it sure looked shoddy. Regardless, I still haven't found the place where it ends but it's toasted and I can't bring myself to trust this harness.

I had to spring for a harness removed from a running bike that claims to be completely unmolested and hope it plugs right in and fires. $50 I didn't want to spend but hopefully my wrap job ends up being significantly less than I planned for.

All the ground/earth wires on the VFR harness normally join together in a plastic plug on the left side of the bike, behind the frame, just under the front of the seat. It can be a problem area if the plug gets corrosion in it from moisture ingress, causing random weirdness. On my bike, I pulled the plug apart, joined all the wires together by wrapping all the wires together with copper tape and soldering it all together in a ugly, shrink-wrapped lump. Not the best aesthetics- wise, but seems to have got rid of an electrical gremlin or two...

Just make sure that whatever you do with these green wires, you have something going from them to the battery negative or frame.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

post-28606-0-22304200-1398833793.jpg

Holy shite. Things have been absolutely insane lately. First time I've been in the garage in weeks and I'm feeling the heat on this project. Decided to do the 6th gen rear set mod. Anyone have experience with this retrofit? I just decided to buy the parts used one day. The cushion bolts are interchangeable, I dint know what I'm gonna do about the swingarm bolt and nut. I'll post up the whole swap in detail once I've gotten it figured out.

post-28606-0-28601700-1398833826.jpg

post-28606-0-17055800-1398833844.jpg

Also pulled the rear shock to get ready for the swap.

post-28606-0-33045000-1398833878.jpg

And this is the current state of my garage. Like I said, sh@ts insane.

post-28606-0-32284700-1398833907.jpg

post-28606-0-51020000-1398833957.jpg

• Member Contributer

You need the 6th Gen swingarm bolt and nut, plus the spacer from 6G on the left (chain) side. The nut acts as the spacer on the right, IIRC.

Plus rear sets. I don't think anyone came up with a direct swap. Other than stock 6G, of course.

We had a big discussion on this topic a few months ago. Should be searchable for more specifics.

• Member Contributer

You need the 6th Gen swingarm bolt and nut, plus the spacer from 6G on the left (chain) side. The nut acts as the spacer on the right, IIRC.

Plus rear sets. I don't think anyone came up with a direct swap. Other than stock 6G, of course.

We had a big discussion on this topic a few months ago. Should be searchable for more specifics.

Thanks for the feedback. Got the bolt and nut on the way to me. What spacer is being spoken about? I see a couple of parts on the fiche called pivot collars but they share the same part numbers as with the 5 gen parts fiche. I've also got two sleeves that came with the cushion that look like big spacers. You can see them in the 3rd pic of my last post. Is that what you're talking about?

As for rearsets, I'll go aftermarket and adapt something or splurge on the sato units one of these days but so far I have less than $150 into the 6g stuff and it looks loads better than the 5g so I'm happy.

Thanks for the feedback

PH

• Member Contributer

Umm, maybe you should of left the bike alone and just ridden it. That's what I usually do.

Mac

• Member Contributer

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/76784-6-gen-rear-set-install/page-2

Specifically:

52143-MBB-000

Sorry I couldn't be as helpful as the previous post... :rolleyes:

I see. Looks like the part numbers aren't the same after all. I'll look into this. Thanks Kev

Umm, maybe you should of left the bike alone and just ridden it. That's what I usually do.

Mac

Thanks for stopping in Mac. You really seem to grasp the whole spirit behind this project. I'm glad your stable of completely stock bikes treats you well. Now go back to general discussion or wherever you came from and leave the enterprising to those of us who appreciate a challenge and the gratification of building something

• Member Contributer

Go for it Paladinreed!

When you ride and meet up with other riders you will get the props for sticking it out. The personal satisfaction gets lost on some. I get it. If I would give a piece of advice. I would complete one task then work down the list. literally a list and then check mark items done. It feels good and can provide piece of mind that you are moving forward.

Rock on :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Did you pick up a 6G cushion with a broken center stand bolt? Seems like most of them are on eBay because to previous owner didn't know the right side c-stand bolt is reverse thread and snapped it trying to take it off.

Guessing you're not planning on using the c-stand, but heads up if you are.

• Member Contributer

Yeah thats the cushion I bought. I was just going to cut off the cstand tabs anyway but I could just as easily drill it out. Howd you know about the cushion?

I got the swinger remounted. I cut 10mm off of the 6g nut and mounted it as well as the 6g uncut bolt with the 5g left side sleeve. Its torqued on there and clamped onto the cushion. I dont know if I missed something but I didnt have problems with the standard bolt length. Pics below.

I rushed through the mockup but tomorrow ill go back and check everything.

post-28606-0-45743300-1399176863.jpg

post-28606-0-67866600-1399176890.jpg

post-28606-0-68636400-1399176918.jpg

• Member Contributer

Got some work done today.

Fwiw the cbr f4i rear master will fit the 6g rearsets but modifying the threaded push rod. I cut off about 1/4inch and then notched two sides like stock for securing the bolt while adjusting the bracket nut thing up respectably.

post-28606-0-05555100-1399422142.jpg

Had to use a razor, goo gone, and a hair dryer to remove all of the under tank heat shield in prep for the vinyl wrap. Took me an astonishing amount of time. What a pain.

post-28606-0-79833300-1399422174.jpg

Also got another 5g hub machined for the bbs wheel. I wanted to retain the 57.1mm hub of the bbs so I machined down the OD to 57.1 instead of 75mm and then I'll utilize a simple hub ring so I can easily switch from factory wheel to the bbs rs.

BIG thanks to MaxSwell for the axle which he provided to me for shipping cost only. What a guy.

post-28606-0-88177200-1399422200.jpg

Feeling pressed for time so I made this spacer to mount the 954 shock. Dimensions are 40mm long, 30mm diameter and 10mm bolt hole. I'll make something much more nifty in the coming months to replace this with. But a it'll do for now and will not be visible.

post-28606-0-45001900-1399422225.jpg

post-28606-0-52487200-1399422245.jpg

Also did a good deal of cleaning parts and got the rear caliper all spiffy compared to where it was. It is gonna get a fresh coat of black high temp.

post-28606-0-14801400-1399422268.jpg

Finally got a new harness and have it tidied and wired for COP.

Also decided to let the pros handle the vinyl wrap so that will be done early next week.

Finals are over on the 15th for me so not too much updates until that's over, but it's going to come together quickly as I have a road trip planned for the weekend of the 29th of May to Kansas City and I'd like to get a couple hundred break in miles on it before I head out of town.

As always, thanks for looking. Happy riding.

PH

• Member Contributer

Got the rear suspension all buttoned back up. Going to have to chop on my subframe a bit to accommodate the external res on the shock.

Also the 6g cushion and rearsets are on with modified cbr f4i master for the last time.

Any ideas for race style tube rear reservoir? Just flexible clear hose and a cap? Any minimum capacity necessary? Fill like normal?

post-28606-0-16414000-1399963391.jpg

Played around with some other stuff but also made a bracket for my koso temp gauge in lieu of a real dash at the moment and a place to mount my front brake reservoir.

post-28606-0-47901300-1399963540.jpg

post-28606-0-24048700-1399963564.jpg

post-28606-0-63439200-1399963589.jpg

More to come.

Thinking I might add a voltometer there as well so I left room on the bracket for now.

• Member Contributer

Gonna need Tygon tubing, if you weren't aware. That stuff will bleed through most tubing. They tend to be 3"-4" I would guess.

• Member Contributer

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Little more progress

Looks Great! You currently have the 6th gen rearsets mounted, correct?

I've added a 6th gen lower cushion to my 5th gen engine also and any info or details you can share on the rearset set-up is greatly appreciated... currently I'm looking at trying to get CBR929 rearsets to fit and it will take some fabbing...

Archived