Vfr8 Streetfighter

keef

• Member Contributer

I agree. Better in the garage...

Removing air- box and throttle bodies are not difficult.

You just need three things

• the right screwdriver for the four air funnel cross-head screws
  • a very long screwdriver to loose the clips locking the throttle bodies (there's two clips for each plastic insulator, the upper is easier to work on)
  • an hairdryer (yes, an hairdryer or somethin' of this kind) to heat the insulators and make the throttle bodies removal easier.

Keep attention to:

• dont over-loose the insulators clips to dont lose tha screw square nut.
  • find the right place where to apply the removing force to avoid some crack in the body.
  • remember, if you disconnect the tank with fuel inside from the bodies, that the return hose have no stopping fuel valve so the fuel flows out freely once disconnected, lock it with a plastic strip or something of this kind.

Ciao.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, throttle bodies are off, thermostat is out, and I'll order OEM hoses and thermo from Honda on Tuesday after the long weekend.

And I just ordered a replacement reg rec kit from roadster cycle.

I'm going to move the reg rec to the L side of the frame where the coil pack used to be. Or maybe where the OEM rad overflow tank used to be.

After my brother crashed at the track, he wants to do the level 2 superbike school with me (my birthday is coming up). I need to get it track ready, other wise I'll have to take my company owned MT 09. It'd be fun, but I'm not sure what my boss would say taking the company vehicle to the track.

• 2 weeks later...

Thermostat changed, new hoses back on, and throttles bodies back on. Still waiting for the reg rec.

So I weighed the bike as I'm looking into getting suspension sorted.

Bathroom scales under each wheel.

100kgs on the back, and 85kgs on the front.

Maybe 1/3 of a tank of fuel, and no coolant.

Pretty pleased at a vfr800 at (allowing for coolant and a full tank of fuel) probably a bit under 200kgs.

Front to rear needs a bit f work, but the fuel and coolant would add weight to the front, so looking pretty good.

Looking at it like that - its like my old 996. That is listed as 198 DRY, and 112HP. That felt like a rocket ship back then.

Mine is 200 WET, and what? 105 standard?

• 4 months later...

Sooo..

Got the new reg rec wired up, including mounting it on the left side of the frame by the headstock - mounted off one of the mounts for the original coil packs.

i plastidipped the frame a gunmetal grey.

Painted my acewell dash matte black.

made some brackets to mount the headlight off the yokes, not the forks. Just modified some bunnings "make your own brackets" you know, the mostly pre made gal steel things.

tidied up the wiring harness, lengthened some things, shortened some others so that it was a bit neater running under the headstock instead of above.

got the airbox back on with 2 6th gen short stacks. I bought an airbox from the wreckers, so i have a spare lid to work on a big airbox mod down the track. Thanks Mohawk.

Have some more short stacks on order from honda - gonna try and make some dual stacks out of them. Or just give myself 4 short stacks instead of 2.

installed a blaster x integrated tail light in the ninja 250 seat unit, as well as some strip LEDs as extra indicators (integrated indicators aren't legal here)

Just need to get the front indicators and barkbusters back on, then i can fill up the coolant again and see if she starts after a while on stands.

Then i can get on to the next stage, getting the forks and rear shock re done, wheels painted, and forks anodized.

I think this will be a hilarious track fighter.

Wow thats a sub 400lb dry weight, very impressive!!!

Do you think you can drop the front and raise the rear any more, to try and improve that weight distribution some?

Definately. 

I have a new spring to go on the rear. And there is room to shim the bolt 10mm or so. 

And I have new springs for the front, so I'll be able to drop the front end a little too once it has a proper spring rate. I'm getting new springs and valves for front and rear done. 

And it still has the centre stand, so has at least 20kgs of steel still to take off once this round of mods is done. Maybe a CBR side stand while I'm at it . 

When the battery dies, I will go lithium, so still some easy ways to lose weight left. 

• 2 months later...

I had the Carbon akra and a modified loop the loop link pipe fitted the other day. And it sounds effing awesome. And the centre stand is off. The welder took this pic for me. The loop should give a bit more top end like a long pipe. Shouldn't be and issue with ground clearance, but it can be angled in a little. With a bit more cutting/welding.

VFR09 exhaust.JPG

Thanks guys. 

The pipe is off my first MT09 that gotten written off 18months ago. On the MT, the loop the loop takes up the space originally used by the cat converter. I wanted to use it if possible, and my exhaust guy REALLY wanted to make the loop work. 

You can hear the GDC whine, and it gives a nice, deep note that's a little raspy up top. 

I'm dropping it off tomorrow to Trooper Lu's for suspension work, new diablo rosso 3's, and, since the forks and wheels are off, some paint and anodising.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Having a few recurring problems that have been getting me down a little. Made a little air dam to stop air from getting in behind the rad to help force air through the rad, fitted the MT03 scoop, and wired up the extra fan. Was gonna take it for a test ride, but I (hopefully, just) blew a fuse that powered the temp gauge. Also noticed one hose is leaking, so i'll have to drain coolant again. The fuel gauge stopped working, so had to take the air box out again. Just a loose connection,and also had a loose connection with the tacho. Just little niggly problems that i think i have sorted, then they pop up. which sucks.
So i did something easy - fitted the driven keyless fuel cap. Original one was 464g, i forgot to weigh the driven one before i put it on, but using my uncalibrated ex-chef scales (my hands) it's gotta be somewhere around 150g. Taking 300g off the highest point in the bike has gotta be good.
And its pretty.

driven cap.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a cbr side stand ready to put on for a while now, and wished i put it on earlier. The bike tipped off the (now too short because of the taller suspension) side stand a few days ago, and punched 2 speed holes in the bottom corner of the fuel tank when it fell.

So, i have a 6th gen tank to put on, and i had Ben from extreme creations help me with the al block/spacer to mount the CBR side stand (thanks Mohawk). I will need to do some hand filing to get the angles right, but Ben's CNC made the spacer in about 20 minutes. It would have taken me 6 hours with hand tools cause i'm a bit slow.

That's crap. A mate's VFR fell over years ago and the footpeg on his XR400 punched clean through the VFRs tank too.

It'll look grouse with a 6th Gen tank though :fing02:

Archived