Vfr8 Streetfighter

keef

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, loosenoose said:

What did you do with all the extra cables and stuff? Shove them in the airbox? Stuff them under the tank? 

The proper thing to do, would be to shorten all the wires appropriately... stuffing and shoving is for amateurs...

that's why I stuff and shove. 

I had to lengthen some, shorten some, and reroute some others.  I would love to pay someone to make me a nice, clean, custom harness.

Lol I'd love to be able to afford someone to cleanly chop up my harness. I did that once, on a 92 vfrI had...

I took it to a nice shop I know, and it wound up costing $800 to mount a dual sport style headlight and wrap some wires up in a big way of electrical tape. :/

47 minutes ago, loosenoose said:

Lol says the guy who makes custom parts for people :D

I wasn't born knowing how to do that

I could never afford to pay anyone to finish anything to my level of expectation, that's how I ended up learning to do so many things on my own. Give it a shot and learn, was my point 

Yeah, I'm just messing with you, Seb. Your work is top notch, btw. 

Lol I'm not sure my budget will ever allow for nice custom made parts from you, but I'll sure drool over the pics. 

I just got the bike running again. It was the dang bank angle sensor. There's one less concern in my world! Whew!

On 10/20/2013 at 5:09 PM, keef said:

Hi Guys,

first post after lurking on here for a while, and some admin help to get my account up and running.

I've been riding for about 18 years, and love streetfighters.My last one was an 88 model GSXR 711. In 2009, i broke it and myself quite spectacularly. After as few bikes in between, i ended up with a drz 400 SM top commute on, and a 2000 VFR8 as a project. It was bought from a dealer as a complete and fully running bike. I'll let teh pics do the talking for a bit.

vfr15-5-11001.jpg

IMG_2415.jpg

ninjaseatonvfr4.jpg

vfr800with1098wheel.jpg

newparts1.jpg

vfrtlrradandnewbarsandrisers.jpg

tlrradfronton.jpg

So far the bike as it stands has:

04 gsxr forks and yokes and calipers, with ducati 848 front wheel, 01 GSXR 1000 rotors, and a ninja 250 front guard

Ducati 1098s forged rear wheel, basically vfr arm, ducati hub/eccentric/caliper/brake rotor/sprocket, just a shim and a spacer to centre the wheel

ninja 250 seat and subframe

driven supercross bars, acewell dash, acerbis headlight

I ran it like this for the last year or so.

And recently

sp1 oil cooler and TL100R top rad as a front mount. The oil cooler is perfect, the front mount rad is almost perfect, just a few minor leak that thread locker and new crush washers should fix.

I do have a question though, does the air bleed hose that usually connects to the right hand rad need to be plumbed into teh system? or can i use it to bleed the air, and then block it up with a bolt and worm clip?

Looking forward to being a part of teh forum, and passing on what i have learnt about vfrs along the way.

What headlight assembly is that and how do you have it mounted? What did you do with all the connections that color into the dashboard?

Whatdid you use for an instrument cluster?

driven supercross bars, acewell dash, acerbis headlight

not sure what model off the top of my head. a round dash.

The light is an acerbic LED vision (I think). crap light though, but legal. Just strapped to the forks like a dirtbike. Light output would probably be OK with a modern H4 LED globe, but they weren't common when I had it.

For the dash, I just cut and soldered as per wiring diagrams. 

• 6 months later...

Ive been doing a fair bit of work recently.

Changed the  coolant water joint orings under the TBs, the long hose from the T Stat, a few other hoses, trimmed off another few feet of wiring, then filled it up with coolant and oil, but It wouldnt quite turn over, had air, had fuel, but the plugs were only giving the tiniest of orange sparks. The back 2 plugs are easy. The front 2 meant drain coolant, remove front rad, change plugs, and reinstall.

But now she is up and running again.

20180624_125148.jpg

20180624_124914.jpg

20180624_124622.jpg

• 1 month later...

Went for a ride with my brother the other day, me on the VFR, and him on his tuono.

He took the VFR for a spin. Great feedback an how it felt, considering the tuono is a benchmark. His first comment was it sounds ANGRY. Not bad for a gentleman's sports tourer.

Now,

I'm 85kgs, and hang off the bike.

He's 20kgs heavier, doesn't hang off, just leans the bike. A lot.

He dragged the loop, so I had a new link pipe made up yesterday. Bye Bye, loop the loop, hello ground clearance.

And since I have a rapid bike, it'll just remap itself if it needs to. I'm enjoying this bike more and more - good to 6Krpm, fun to 8K, and really quick from 8K.

after pic 1.jpg

after pic 2.jpg

loop small.jpg

• 3 months later...

I did a trackday on thursday, then a weekend ride with some of the ASF guys through the mountains. No  clearance issues with my new rearsets, but i did scrape my sidestand a couple of times at the track.

FB_IMG_1541903757608.jpg

• Member Contributer
22 hours ago, keef said:

I did a trackday on thursday, then a weekend ride with some of the ASF guys through the mountains. No  clearance issues with my new rearsets, but i did scrape my sidestand a couple of times at the track.

FB_IMG_1541903757608.jpg

Damn man, you must be leaning pretty hard to scrape a side stand - big respect! 

I don’t have the guts to lean like that...

Stray

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

So, still chipping away on upgrades.

Finished my mohawk big airbox to go with the supershort velocity stacks.

Added some m4 rivnuts to the airbox lower since the OEM threads were pulling out of the plastic

Changed to all singing, all dancing apex manufacturing clip ons, so changed my extended throttle cables to ones from a cb500r. And to make 110hp feel like 150, new grips with a 1/4 turn throttle.

I may even put my barkbusters back on the clipons.

Definately more a trackfighter than a streetfighter, now.

20190701_212903.jpg

20190701_212830.jpg

20190615_110941.jpg

• Member Contributer

Very, very cool! 

Why super-short stacks and not dual-stacks a la Mohawk? 

Does your airbox have a lid or are you running it open? 

12 minutes ago, Stray said:

Very, very cool! 

Why super-short stacks and not dual-stacks a la Mohawk? 

Does your airbox have a lid or are you running it open? 

The big airbox takes the filter and puts it into the airbox lid instead of inbetween the base and lid. The lid is what you can see.

No dual stacks because i havent got round to it yet. I have the extra stacks, just haven't done it yet. I am running with 2 x short 6th gen stacks, and 2 x super short aluminium stacks.

• Member Contributer
On 7/2/2019 at 9:30 AM, keef said:

The big airbox takes the filter and puts it into the airbox lid instead of inbetween the base and lid. The lid is what you can see.

No dual stacks because i havent got round to it yet. I have the extra stacks, just haven't done it yet. I am running with 2 x short 6th gen stacks, and 2 x super short aluminium stacks.

Very impressive! 

I think Mohawk built some sort of air dam to recreate a ram air effect. Trick is to seal the rear of the fuel tank to the airbox, trapping air in the pocket. 

I’ve been thinking about cutting up the airbox lid and making it bigger than stock so more air space inside. There’s a bit more room for a taller lid under the fuel tank, but it’s a tricky shape. 

Good thing about your design is you’re no longer going to be sucking super hot air from the oil cooler. You’ll be getting marginally colder air from behind the frame instead. 

Really cool work! 

Ive also got a front mount rad, so air that has been through the oil cooler or rad wont really make a difference. Its the volume inside the airbox that makes the difference.

• 3 weeks later...

I manged to get my old polisport hanguards  on, and commuted on it today.

The angle of the clipons makes it really  comfortable for such an aggressive setup- high seat, high pegs and low bars.

And big thankyou to mohawk and candy red. The big airbox mod and  rapidbike (and quick  action throttle)  make my trackfighter  vfr pretty quick.

Archived