Vfr8 Streetfighter

keef

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If my fighter was as good as yours, Seb, I'd be keeping it.

Although I'd feel guilty about bolting a top box to it like mine (I have a mounting plate bolted to a spare pillion seat so I can use a top box for weekend trips.)

The 6" rear wheel with a 190 and a seat from a 250cc bike make the rear look like its a 300 section tyre.

I love it.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the qudos Keef but I still feel that anyone who embarks on a project like yours deserves all the praise they can get.

As I said earlier, keep up the good work.

Cheers

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

My brother wanted to book a trackday, and asked if i wanted to come. I said i couldn't afford it. He said he'd pay.

The free trackday has cost me some money, since i had to actually get stuff done.

I mounted my new rad, it was touching the front guard under hard braking, so i need to get some proper mounts made to raise it up about 40mm, basically, as high as i could.

Also, the brackets made by me/my mates meant the rad was angled a little bit, so air slid off it, instead of going through it. I needed to be going about 110kph before it actually cooled anything.

So, off to DMVC in Botany. New mounts (and modding the tabs on the alloy rad) only took a day. Matt took it for a decent ride to test it all out, and freeway speeds it was running at 84 celsius - much better now its angled right. Top mount up under the frame near the oil cooler mounts, but he made new threaded holes, and the bottom mounts are now the rocker cover bolts.

all ready for the trackday Monday with my brother.post-28591-0-17708300-1446251414.jpgpost-28591-0-47607500-1446251429.jpgpost-28591-0-13992500-1446251439.jpgpost-28591-0-29671500-1446251454.jpg

• Member Contributer

Hnnngg... Gonna need track day pics as well..

That fender is the clearance problem with the rad brother. That thing looks to stick way off of the profile of the tire. Seems like I have a bit more clearance than you do.

So awesome

It was never an issue with the TLR rad.

The front guard is only a few mm off the front of the tyre, but it's mayvpbe 10-15 of the back of the tyre.

It's because it's a 42mm core instead of OEM16mm, it's a hell of a lot thicker.

It was touching the front guard when I had 35mm or so of travel left in the forks, even if I gained 15mm from the front guard that would leave 20mm of Crunching. I definately had to raise the rad.

brilliant day yesterday, but only did 3 sessions - just as i was gearing up for the 4th session, i noticed that i had lost the bolt from my exhaust. I decided to call it a day, and just use cable ties to get me home.

the new rad ran at 93 celsius for the first 2 sessions, and the third one was at about 104 - but it was 30-35 celsius, and humid. That kind of hot and humid you get before a thunderstorm.

No clearance issues with it either.

I am definitely too heavy for the springs, but it handled pretty well, knees, toes and peg on the deck on the left, and toes and peg on the right. After my broken right leg, body position needs some work.

and the pics..

tyres right to the edge.

post-28591-0-86222300-1446514316.jpgpost-28591-0-34669300-1446514326.jpg

the horsepower trying to burst forth from the tank. Or my legs rubbed through the plastidip

post-28591-0-05072600-1446514405.jpg

and my load bearing cable ties

post-28591-0-08254400-1446514428.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

This work is very similar to my idea to transform my road use VFR in a Streetfighther (one of my million projects).

Unfortunately the subject of this idea goes away, and now run in the motorcycle' paradise where goes all bikes that closes their life in an accident.

gallery_8326_7732_2223740.jpg

Run your bike for my Black Widowmaker too, Keef.

Ciao, Luigi.

• Member Contributer

Thank you Keef.

Yes, i'm fine. I was lucky.

The bike is destroyed but this is the price that i payed to have let the brain at home before riding.

Congrats again for your work.

Ciao. Luigi.

post-28591-0-17708300-1446251414.jpg

The bike looks terrific Keef! Glad to hear the track day went off ok with no real dramas.

Glad you're ok Luigi, and sorry for the loss of the bike. How's your custom 5th Gen coming along?

• Member Contributer

This work is very similar to my idea to transform my road use VFR in a Streetfighther (one of my million projects).

Unfortunately the subject of this idea goes away, and now run in the motorcycle' paradise where goes all bikes that closes their life in an accident.

gallery_8326_7732_2223740.jpg

Run your bike for my Black Widowmaker too, Keef.

Ciao, Luigi.

Curva Parabolica? :goofy:

Or on the street?

Glad you are ok,

one door closes, another one opens!

• Member Contributer

Hard hit and glad your ok Luigi !

Thanks.

Yes. Very hard. I see the positive side: now i have another VFR engine for my track bike... :D :D :D

Ciao.

• Member Contributer

Glad you're ok Luigi, and sorry for the loss of the bike. How's your custom 5th Gen coming along?

Hallo Phantom

I can't say in details.

I have the another two bike for Vintage race to prepare too, and until the end of January i don't think to have all two arms able to work.

In 2016, even in the final months of the next year, completing it at least in their first version would be a good result.

Have many ideas for improvement, from the forced air intake in the front of fairing, until the seconday injectors to install in the air box; but are work that require much time.

In the next year, the fuel tank (modified to host the CBR600RR), the exhaust system and a rear tail with saddle are the three target to catch to be able to say: I finished!

Ciao.Luigi.

• Member Contributer

My brother posted a vid of our trackday to YouTube...

Well Keef!!!

If you think about the years of development existing between your VFR and your brother's Tuono, i think that you can be very satisfied about your bike track behaviour.

I don't know if your brother is faster than you on track, but seeing the video it seems that other riders have work hard to keep you back.

Hope that my Perfect Thunder (the nickname that invented for my track version VFR) will work like your bike, once it will be on track!

Luigi.

• Member Contributer

Curva Parabolica? :goofy:

Or on the street?

Glad you are ok,

one door closes, another one opens!

No Dutchy, on the street.

I was crashed in Parabolica maybe the bike will suffered minor damages...

About Parabolica just two words that i know out of topic (hope administator forgive me):

In July i made two set of free practice session in Monza... MAGICAL!!! Both in Parabolica and in Curvone di Biassono i felt the thrill to have the knee almost slidin' on track and in the same time shifting up gears until the sixth with gas fully open!

Never before i proved to remain at least 5/6 seconds in sixth gear with fully open gas in the two main straight GREAT!!!

Ciao a tutti, Luigi.

My brother posted a vid of our trackday to YouTube...

Well Keef!!!

If you think about the years of development existing between your VFR and your brother's Tuono, i think that you can be very satisfied about your bike track behaviour.

I don't know if your brother is faster than you on track, but seeing the video it seems that other riders have work hard to keep you back.

Hope that my Perfect Thunder (the nickname that invented for my track version VFR) will work like your bike, once it will be on track!

Luigi.

I'm faster than my brother (in general) but the Vfr is about 60hp less than the tuono. With no electronic aides. Really fun overtaking people on the track on a gentleman's touring bike.

And 2 v fours sounded epic in the pit garage.

I need to get the suspension done, if I can't have top speed, I'll take corner speed. Once you get perfect thunder up and running, you'll see what I mean.

• Member Contributer

I need to get the suspension done, if I can't have top speed, I'll take corner speed. Once you get perfect thunder up and running, you'll see what I mean.

I perfecly know what you mean keef and i agree.

To be faster than the others in corners can compensate the frustration to be passed on straight, but necessarily you need a bike with a perfect suspension and cyclstic setting.

I don't know if is the same for you, but i find that the work on set-up is funny as riding, i like so much try new solutions, feel the bike reaction and behaviour following the set-up changes, for me is a part of a funny track-day.

About the search of perfect settings i remerber the words of an italian racer that i meet many years ago, a fast driver, but without much money to have a fast bike: "on the straight they pass me away, but in the corner are in the middle of track just to give me noise" :D :D :D

Ciao.

• 4 weeks later...

Since the scorpion can came loose at the track day, I fitted the Jardine slash cut pipe i had lying around.

Ridiculously loud, and incredibly evil sounding. Even with a baffle in the tip.It will stay on until i get the carbon akra MT09 can fitted. I need to get another link pipe made.

If anyone wants a scorpion can for a 5th gen, let me know.

I also fitted 2x 80mm computer fans to the front mount rad. rated as IP55, so should do the job since i don't ride the vfr in the rain much.

And while i was letting the bike get hot to make sure the fans kicked in when they should (they did), i noticed a coolant leak in the V of the engine somewhere.

What a pain in the arse.

• Member Contributer

...i noticed a coolant leak in the V of the engine...

Stay up keef, a leakage in that engine zone can be just an O-ring or a hose damaged. I don't think something of worst.

I know, checking that parts is a very noising job (removing the air box and throttle body... :sad:) but making a special it means have this problems too.

Ciao, Luigi.

I know, 2 steps forward, one step back.

Better to notice it in the garage than on the road, though.

I have a small, uv/black light torch (was a kids toy in a party bag). It doesn't light up the space, but it makes the coolant glow in the dark. Great for following the trail of coolant.

Looking forward to removing the air box lower and throttle bodies for the first time.

Archived