Bigger Fuel Tank

Guest GerhardVFRRider

If you go to the ironbutt site I believe they have links to fuel tank fabricators who specialize in motorcycles, including adding a 'spacer'.

The FJR mentioned earlier may have been *John Ryans'. His fuel tank was similarly modified.

Years ago I used a bladder cell inside the tank bag. Tubing to the non-pressurized side of the fuel return line (not a VFR). IIRC it carried a bit more than a gallon and was enough for a frequent trip @ the time. the bladder didn't need a vent. A laptop provided pressure. A hemostat was the valve..

A really long time ago I extended a bmw airhead tank by cutting the original tank straight down ~3" behind the fuel cap and within an inch of the bottom. Then horizontally back over the fuel taps, then straight down again. With another matching tank I adjusted the cuts to make the final tank ~ 3 inches longer. It worked well, and looked 'factory', but was not worth the headaches.

We each assess our risks. I would not use a fuel tank as a push bar for the next fool that rear ends me.

*If you've not heard of John Ryan You'll find information on the Iron Butt site regarding John's many record setting long distance motorcycle trips.

October 13th marks the date that John, riding his FJR, was hit from behind and killed. A rather good book was written about John by Melissa Holbrook Pierson. It is titled; "The Man Who Would Stop at Nothing". ca 2011 w.w. norton & company. Ms. Pierson also wrote; "The Perfect Vehicle". ca 1997. again w. w. Norton.

New here, but I have been riding 47 years, 37 different bikes. Noticed this thread and figured I should post what I just did to mine.

https://sites.google.com/site/vfrkurt/home/VFR1200LongDIstance

Edited by kurtfriedrich
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

whats with the big disappointment with the fuel tank capacity/range across the 7th gen VFR community??! really

whats so bad with a ~200km or so fuel range anyway regardless of the engine's size or the fuel tank capacity

i do understand that long range is nice in long trips and touring, but stopping for gas every 2 hours isnt too bad really, specially when riding a bike that's not as comfy as a goldwing anyway.

i'm getting around 280-330km on a tank in my 5th gen vfr, and used to get +400km a tank on my previous bike (Suzuki V-strom 650), and now have a ducati monster which can barely cross 200km on its 14L tank and still dont find that a big deal or a huge disadvantage :comp13:

whats with the big disappointment with the fuel tank capacity/range across the 7th gen VFR community?! really whats so bad with a ~200km or so fuel range anyway regardless of the engine's size or the fuel tank capacity

On my 5th gen, I would get to about 180 miles until the last bar. On the 6th gen, pretty much the same. If I was really flogging the bikes, I would get down to 150. On the 7th gen, I get to 120 miles and it is blinking. Fuel economy so far has been 33-35mpg. It's a bit of a hassle when you are out in the middle of nowhere and you fill up everytime you see a gas station just in case you don't see another one when you may need it.

7th gen tank - 4.9 US gal

5 & 6th tank - 5.2 US gal

They are really that far apart in capacity, but the fuel economy difference makes that difference rather significant.

• Member Contributer

whats with the big disappointment with the fuel tank capacity/range across the 7th gen VFR community?! really whats so bad with a ~200km or so fuel range anyway regardless of the engine's size or the fuel tank capacity

On my 5th gen, I would get to about 180 miles until the last bar. On the 6th gen, pretty much the same. If I was really flogging the bikes, I would get down to 150. On the 7th gen, I get to 120 miles and it is blinking. Fuel economy so far has been 33-35mpg.

I bought my new, 0 mile 12' VFR1200 on Oct. 10. After riding it 820 home I started tracking the mpg on fuelly. First 3 tanks with my normal commute.

192.8 miles @ 46.3 mpg

211.7 miles @ 47.7 mpg

213.8 miles @ 49.7 mpg.

I expect those numbers to get a little better once the motorcycle is broken in. As usual, the horror stories of bad mpg are overblown and have more to do with factors not dependent on the motorcycle.

I bought my new, 0 mile 12' VFR1200 on Oct. 10. After riding it 820 home I started tracking the mpg on fuelly. First 3 tanks with my normal commute.

192.8 miles @ 46.3 mpg

211.7 miles @ 47.7 mpg

213.8 miles @ 49.7 mpg.

I expect those numbers to get a little better once the motorcycle is broken in. As usual, the horror stories of bad mpg are overblown and have more to do with factors not dependent on the motorcycle.

Swimmer, have you calculated speedo error, or might you be using a GPS-based odometer?

I bought a zero mile '13 and on the tire it came with my speedo was close but about 2% off (I don't recall in which direction).

Also don't forget that tire pressure affects speedometer.

• Member Contributer

192.8 miles @ 46.3 mpg

211.7 miles @ 47.7 mpg

213.8 miles @ 49.7 mpg.

Swimmer, have you calculated speedo error, or might you be using a GPS-based odometer?

Yes, the speedo is quite accurate and the odometer is short by a little over 1%. So, in reality my mpg figures are slightly better than posted but, close enough.

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I know your gallons are different from ours over here (the proper ones) but I recently rode my brand new 2014 1200F on my 85-mile commute to work and back.

On my 08 6th Gen, the same 170-mile journey, taking a very similar time, uses around 17 - 17.5 litres which is just under 45mpg which would give an empty range of ~210 miles. I have to push the 6th Gen harder to do the journey in the same time.

The 1200 went to 155 miles before the last bar flashed and then the speedo told me I had 30 miles remaining so an empty range of ~185 miles. I was enjoying the ride, pushing on a little but not having to wind it up anywhere near as much as the 6th Gen.

That's not so much of a difference to be a concern to me.

YMMV.

• 2 months later...

I have the early model, says the tank can take 18.5 litres. I can get close to that without having run dry, 17.9 the most I put in once. Touring, solo, full panniers and top box. Gets 280-290 km if I leave it that long.

I normally fill up around 250-270. Just seems to be when everyone else is stopping or where a logical gas station is. Rare in NZ to have a stretch longer than that without a fuel station on the route.post-23773-0-10162200-1432416244.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have the early model, says the tank can take 18.5 litres. I can get close to that without having run dry, 17.9 the most I put in once.

:blink: Brave soul.

I've pumped slightly more than 4.25 gallons (out of supposed 4.9) ONLY on a couple of occasions. They were early on when I was testing the fuel gauge. 150 mile (less than 4gal typically) range is more than plenty for me.

There are a couple of stretches of Nevada that I want to have some extra fuel, so I have ordered one of these Reda Innovation gas cans that fit perfectly in one leg of the Giant Loop Great Basin luggage I plan on using this summer. 1 more gallon = easy feeling in the long and lonely :cool:

http://giantloopmoto.com/products/great-basin-saddlebag/

http://giantloopmoto.com/products/reda-innovations-1-gallon-gas-can/

Vzoy6q.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I set a new record yesterday for me, and probably the VFR1200 universe with a 230.4 mile tank.  MPG was 51.8 with .3 gallons displaying as remaining.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2016 at 6:23 PM, swimmer said:

I set a new record yesterday for me, and probably the VFR1200 universe with a 230.4 mile tank.  MPG was 51.8 with .3 gallons displaying as remaining.

Dude, how?! Downhill with a tailwind?!

I'm so glad you said that, my wife is literally sitting next to me and that is a nice little factoid to share with her to help win her over to giving me permission to buy the ECC!

• Like 1

Eric was the first person to receive the ECC form me :happy:

Cruise control will always help to reduce the millage - no, I'm not trying to get more customers - simply telling the truth :pinocchio:

You know where to find me if you need one Paul.

that's cool if you don't mind the guys in the Prius blowing the horn and flipping you off as they pass you

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, marriedman said:

Dude, how?! Downhill with a tailwind?!

That tank was only commuting to work which is about 6 miles of in town riding with a few stops and about 18 miles of highway at ~67mph, each way.  Flat terrain. Hot temperatures, OEM touring screen and the ECC all help with getting good mpg.

• 5 months later...
On 2/3/2016 at 6:17 PM, Artfulkatana said:

I   

On 2/3/2016 at 6:17 PM, Artfulkatana said:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/twisted-throttle-tool-tube-w-mounting-kit

What about this under a trunk if anyone has that equiped? I should take measurements, but I think it would fit above the tail 

FWIW, I found the tool tube HERE.  A third of the price of TT. 

• Member Contributer

Made my own from drainage pipe, but for 5 bucks...

Did add a lock, just in case as I stored my tent poles in it.

IMAG4628.jpg

IMAG4873.jpg