Bigger Fuel Tank

Guest GerhardVFRRider

Guest GerhardVFRRider

Hi there

What about cutting out the top black part of the fuel tank, lifting it about five to eight cm, filling the gap with a similar metal and I am sure that will be between two to four litres extra?

Anyone up to something like that? :comp13:

Hi there

What about cutting out the top black part of the fuel tank, lifting it about five to eight cm, filling the gap with a similar metal and I am sure that will be between two to four litres extra?

That's a lot of work, plus cutting and shutting a gas tank requires a lot of skill if one expects the mod to result in a leak free gas tank in the end. The welds would need to be flawless!

Hi there

It's funny, I was thinking the exact same thing the other day. There was a guy on the FJR forums that did that with his FJR tank. He cut off the top and added some metal in the middle. It was a lot of work but the end result was good, and it goes to show that no matter how big the tank, someone always wants more...

• Member Contributer

Warchild added aux fuel on his blackbird on the passenger area.

As far as skill, if Orange County Choppers can cut and weld tanks that do not leak, I am sure an auto body shop with any skill can do it. The guys that weld on the oil pipelines can do 80 or 90 welds a day and might have one leak.

As far as skill, if Orange County Choppers can cut and weld tanks that do not leak, I am sure an auto body shop with any skill can do it. The guys that weld on the oil pipelines can do 80 or 90 welds a day and might have one leak.

If Rick ever left, OCC would be in a lot of trouble.

• Member Contributer

If Rick ever left, OCC would be in a lot of trouble.

Is that show still on TV ? I thought it was cancelled ..

• Like 1

Guest GerhardVFRRider

Thanks! Here in South Africa a bigger tank is not really necessary as all our fuel garages are within 200 km of each other. Just annoying to stop so often.

I'm late in here. Has anyone suggested looking through the Iron Butt website? I believe there's a link to 1 or 2 companies with stock models and custom work. The FJR mentioned was perhaps the late John Ryan's. At his services yesterday there was a serious contingent of Long Distance motorcyclist's, plus a commensurate number of custom tanks. BTW: 2 very good looking 5th Generation VFR's were there.

When I used to run longer miles, in the dark, a 4 liter fuel bag in the tank bag with a lap top pressurizing it, worked great. I tapped into the unpressurized side of the fuel return and used a hemostat as a valve. Good fortune, R3~

BTW: That 'thing' carrying flammable liquid and hanging off the back at bumper level, scares the beejeesus out of me. And a fuel tank at tail trunk ;level is hardly better. You don't ever want to be in a liquid fueled fire.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks! Here in South Africa a bigger tank is not really necessary as all our fuel garages are within 200 km of each other. Just annoying to stop so often.

In NZ it is rare to have go even that far between fuel stops, but I am with you, who wants all their stops to be at fuel stations and not other places.

Here is my approach, get a small, light plastic siphon and travel with guys with the bikes that have uber large tanks ... Then you can easily risk doing 290 kms and laugh at the servo that you were nearly out of gas ... BMW adventure bikes with the big 33 litre tanks are best ... Buy them one free tank load at the start of the trip and they might stay with you for 4000 kms .... Awesome insurance ...

post-23773-0-00383200-1387107020.jpg

post-23773-0-02455100-1387107110.jpg

• Member Contributer

Is there a way to rig a small bottle/canister under the left bag similar to what I have done on my 5th gen here? This one liter bottle is my emergency and stove fuel.

med_gallery_2144_2760_3188695.jpg

Out West in the USA, tank range is a big deal sometimes and several times I have been faced with 200 miles between petrol stops. I always carry a siphon hose as well and usually ride with ST oil tanker bikes.

Is there a way to rig a small bottle/canister under the left bag similar to what I have done on my 5th gen here? This one liter bottle is my emergency and stove fuel.

med_gallery_2144_2760_3188695.jpg

I'd like to see a couple better pics of your mount there myself. I also carry a 1 liter aluminum can full of fuel when I'm traveling, but it takes up valuable luggage space. That's a right clever idea.

I used a 2L fuel bladder in the tank bag for a night time run I did occasionally. Fuel was either not always available or I would rather not stop. Connecting the line from the bladder to a 'T' on the return fuel line to the tank, after the back pressure valve worked fine. A Hemostat was the on/off. My lap top in the tank bag, did some pressurizing. After ~100 miles open the Hemostat. R3~

• Member Contributer

DD ...here is another shot of the "Tool Tube".

med_gallery_2144_6521_85202.jpg

I think I got these at a hardware store but they are available from Twisted Throttle. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/twisted-throttle-tool-tube-w-mounting-kit . The one liter MSR bottle fits perfectly. I mount them on my SW Motech racks.....there was not enough room to put them inside the racks.

I see that I have another flask in one of my bags but that is for me not the bike.

• Like 1

DD ...here is another shot of the "Tool Tube".

I think I got these at a hardware store but they are available from Twisted Throttle. http://www.twistedthrottle.com/twisted-throttle-tool-tube-w-mounting-kit . The one liter MSR bottle fits perfectly. I mount them on my SW Motech racks.....there was not enough room to put them inside the racks.

Nice! I already have that exact MSR bottle. That's what I normally carry *in* the luggage. I like that. I think I might have to get one of those.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest GerhardVFRRider

Well I have done it. Cost me R3000 (US$300) for metal work and R2250 (US$225) for paintwork.

I have not filled it up but they assured me that it will take between 4 and 6 more litres.