Stator Bbq Fix

Auspanglish

Why would the squirt need to be between the stator and flywheel? Wouldn't the whole idea be to have the oil squirting on the stator? Given that the stator doesn't rotate, it wouldn't be much of an issue having the squirt close to the stator. Ideally, having more than one squirter would be good, but that could be a bit complicated.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Most of that flat part will be blocked by the stator harness, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a visual window for check of the color of the stator. Just away to check the condition of the stator. My thought is before starting on a epic, once in a lifetime trip, to see if the stator is starting to change or has changed color .

Most of that flat part will be blocked by the stator harness, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just  a  visual  window  for  check  of  the  color  of   the stator.  Just  away  to  check  the condition  of  the  stator.  My  thought is  before  starting on a epic, once in a lifetime  trip, to  see  if  the stator  is  starting  to  change  or  has  changed  color .

Not possible there. That is definitely obscured by the output wires which are held into that spot by a metal bracket... That's why that flat spot is there.

Why would the squirt need to be between the stator and flywheel? Wouldn't the whole idea be to have the oil squirting on the stator? Given that the stator doesn't rotate, it wouldn't be much of an issue having the squirt close to the stator. Ideally, having more than one squirter would be good, but that could be a bit complicated.

Because the ideal situation is for the oil to be dispersed over the greatest surface area possible.. And not just on the side facing the cover, which is easy to do, but on the inward facing side. In short, on all sides.. If we locate the spray too low, it'll just do what it does now.. Drain down into the 12 o'clock notch and refrigerate a small portion beyond what the OEM set up achieves.

Yeah we are shooting blind... that was my guess... it may be somewhere in between yours and mine... the squirt has to enter right in between stator and rotor... it's a tight fit...

When I get the stator back from having it rewound I can make a more accurate indication... although at this stage I am just going to make to more notches at 3 and 9 o'clock... at the mounting boss, where it comes with a notch at 12 o'clock... cause I need to get the bike up and running... will be starting nursing prac at the infant surgery theatre of the Region's major hospital in a couple of weeks... and it's too far to bicycle to!!! (I don't own a car and have limited Access to the g/f's)

The heat genereted in the stator is evacuated in two ways: by convection with the oil and by conduction through the walls of the cover/support. If you make many cuts in the support, conduction thermal resistance will increase and less heat will be dissipated by conduction, I think... may be....

Gretings

Yeah we are shooting blind... that was my guess... it may be somewhere in between yours and mine... the squirt has to enter right in between stator and rotor... it's a tight fit...

When I get the stator back from having it rewound I can make a more accurate indication... although at this stage I am just going to make to more notches at 3 and 9 o'clock... at the mounting boss, where it comes with a notch at 12 o'clock... cause I need to get the bike up and running... will be starting nursing prac at the infant surgery theatre of the Region's major hospital in a couple of weeks... and it's too far to bicycle to!!! (I don't own a car and have limited Access to the g/f's)

The heat genereted in the stator is evacuated in two ways: by convection with the oil and by conduction through the walls of the cover/support. If you make many cuts in the support, conduction thermal resistance will increase and less heat will be dissipated by conduction, I think... may be....

Gretings

Interesting point Arri. Although I'm not sure how much heat conduction such a small mating surface would provide.. I imagine the greater part takes place between the oil and the cover than via the stator mounting bus.

Maybe

:)

• Member Contributer

you guts are STILL on this??

block off the oil ports.!!!

add air scoops!!

Honda makes the cover heavy to save the engine and crank in case of a crash.

• Member Contributer

Idea----------- machine some flat areas on the cover, mount heat sink fin units?

J

I mean the outside

:idea3: The R/R already has fins on it...how about we relocate it there :idea3: .

jk :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I just consider the stator, and R/R consumables that are replaced every 40K.

It's sure a much simpler solution.

• Member Contributer

I meant machine the alternator cover outside and mount finned heatsink units to it on the outside.

J

Yes I knew that. I was just playing around a little. It's a good idea.

• Member Contributer

Where's the fun in that? :happy:

Except those consumables leave you on the side of the road 125 miles from home.

Except  those  consumables  leave  you  on  the side  of  the  road   125 miles  from  home.

... And rob you of 250€ you could have spent on wine, women or song..

:)

Uhmmmm....How about considering copper "heat pipe" cooling, as used on multi CPU computers?....Is there any space between the stator and the outside case. Can you squeeze in nice coil of copper heat pipes in there and have the cooling fins mounted right on the outside of the stator casing?? Is heat pipe technology too wimpy to handle the heat loads from a stator?

What's good with it is, it is totally passive without any moving parts, thus maintenance free, other than cleaning the cooling fins once in a while.

• Member Contributer

Only if you neglect to replace 'em, and don't ride very far.

Only if you neglect to replace 'em, and don't ride very far.

Which I'm assuming most 6th gen riders have those times when they don't ride very far. Heck, nearly every rider has those times.

Archived