How The Hell Do You Remove The Fork Bottom Allen Bolt?

joeystalin

So you basically need to PULL on the spring with the top end retained or connected to the damping rod via the retainer washer acting as a stopper?

You need to pull the damping rod into the fully extended position at the same time as pulling the fork's lower outer tube in the opposite direction.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Don't I know it!!! Today, my left fork's bottom bolt came out easily, but my right fork's bottom bolt just kept spinning (even with the impact gun). I tried compressing the fork, but no luck. But then I remembered something Jamie said... The cartridge needs to be put into tension (not compression).

Why didn't I think of that? :wink:

Ciao,

• 7 months later...

I had some problems to. Tried to drill the allen bolt out but it took ages. Maybe because of bad drills.

So I bought a simple corded electric impact wrench with the specs 200w/500nm/6000rpm and it worked well!

An air supported impact wrench rocks but an electric alternative may work!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Put the springs back in and put the top cap back on, and hit it with an impact wrench. Hopefully having the internals in place will put enough tension on the cartridge to allow the impact wrench to back the screw out.

Yep, this is what you do. it's the instant hit with the impact and the extra tension when all it's still all together that makes this happen.

Archived