5Th Gen Exhaust Advice

Guest MBH300

Hello everyone

New to the forum & need a little help / advice

I have a 95 with a micron pipe. Sounds awesome!

I also have a 99 with a jardine rt-1. I hate it!!! Sounds stock!

Micron is out of business & as far as I can tell never made a pipe for the 5th gen.

Question is does anyone know what else I could use that would sound similar on the 99. I have listened to everything I could find on you tube & best I can tell the 2 brothers & the delkevic are the closest to the micron

Any ideas,experience, or suggestions??

I had a two brothers pipe on my 93 and really liked it. It does sound different on my 05, but that is/was to be expected. All the same, I would still go with a two brothers if I had to do it all over again.

I have both a Delkevic and Two Bros for my 99. There really is no contest that the Two Bros sounds better. The Delkevic is damn good for the money though.

However, I thought mello dude had a micron on his 98?

EDIT: just remembered these. Same phone took both videos so you can get a good comparison.

And then my Two Bros

I have a carbon fiber Micron on my 2001, so they did make them. My GF has a carbon fiber D&D on her 2000 and it sounds good. I had an aluminum D&D on mine for a while and thought it was obnoxiously loud. The CF's seem to have a better sound and aren't obnoxious.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, micron did make a cf exhaust for the 5th gen. You can see it in my gallery. They did make a high mount but it is quite rare and the low mount can has a larger inlet diameter. The micron can has an allen bolt hidden in the outlet, making for rivetless disassembly for repacking. Also, I noticed the perforated center exhaust tube is slightly heavier gauge than other cans that I have repacked.

Black Vinyl Lower 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've also been casting about for a decent quality Hi-mount to replace the old and (TBH) pretty crappy Hi mount I have on my '98 bike. I keep seeing Delkevic advertising Hi-mount systems for the 5th gen VFR, but they never have a picture with the exhaust mounted (which makes me a bit suss...)

At one point I actually asked them to send me a photo of one of their Hi mount systems fitted to a 5th Gen, but they claimed they didn't have one (a 5th gen, OR a photo of one with a HI-mount ;)

Have any of you US-based blokes seen a Delkevic system on a 5th gen and, if so, what were your impressions of build quality/mounting etc?

Pics would be great...

I have a Delkevic low mount 13" tri-oval on my '99. I think it sounds better than the Staintune I had on my '98. I've put video clips of the sound with and without the baffle onto Youtube, in case anyone's interested in having a listen. Please keep in mind that the videos were taken on my iPhone, so the sound quality could be a bit better.

Oh... I almost forgot to put up a photo:

post-28511-13813239828753.jpg

post-28511-13813240027813.jpg

• Member Contributer

I had a 99 VFR with the oval high mount carbon fiber from TwoBros. I felt it was not only the nicest sounding, with Micron a close second, but was also the only high mount canister that allowed for the fitment of GIVI hard bags. The carbon fiber canister never got too hot and the hard bags were never in jeopardy of being overly warm.

post-445-0-93077000-1381468645.jpg

Here is an ally Micron can on my 5th gen.

1176157_10202006946714972_960723712_n.jp

I tossed it on there after removing it from a CBR600f2. I have had many end cans on the back and they are all mostly the same. I agree that carbon fibre gives a nice deep tone and I woud have kept my last CF can on there, but I came to the conclusion that it was just too loud.

sounded nice, though:

• Member Contributer

I've had V&H on my 4th gen, now I have a D&D on my 5th gen now and it sounds great. However, my greatest regret after selling my track bike is that I got rid of a Staintune to buy a snowboard....it was a damn nice snowboard...but I really miss the best sounding pipe ever made for the VFR...

• Member Contributer

I have a high mount Staintune and it sounds fantastic. I also had dual Staintunes on my 93 Ducati supersport and i am sold on their quality.

attachicon.gifIMG_5774.JPG

When my '99 was new I bought a 2 Bros. high mount for it which sounds fantastic (it's in my gallery). 2 Bros. has since discontinued that style, and if I were in the market for one today I would buy the Staintune. I agree - they're sleek and clean looking and sound great.

I have a DanMoto CF system on my 05 that's for a 5th Gen and it sounds really good, if not a little loud. I'm going back to an underseat to add hard bags, so if you're interested in it let me know. I was planning to list it for $75 + shipping cost.

• Member Contributer

Here is an ally Micron can on my 5th gen.

I tossed it on there after removing it from a CBR600f2. I have had many end cans on the back and they are all mostly the same. I agree that carbon fibre gives a nice deep tone and I woud have kept my last CF can on there, but I came to the conclusion that it was just too loud.

sounded nice, though:

My bike has been an exhaust slut, but I think that low mount AL Micron had the best sound, flow and seat of pants go of all of them. Wish I still had it.

• 2 weeks later...

My fightered 5th gen has a scorpion can for a gladius 650 on it with delkevic headers, just needed a custom link pipe made. Since I bought the can at the wreckers, it doesn't have a baffle. It's pretty loud, but when you open the throttle, it is brilliant. Scorpion sell them with a baffle, though.

You can get any exhaust to work, it doesn't have to be vfr specific.

paintedradshrouds.jpg

• Member Contributer

My fightered 5th gen has a scorpion can for a gladius 650 on it with delkevic headers, just needed a custom link pipe made. Since I bought the can at the wreckers, it doesn't have a baffle. It's pretty loud, but when you open the throttle, it is brilliant. Scorpion sell them with a baffle, though.

You can get any exhaust to work, it doesn't have to be vfr specific.

paintedradshrouds.jpg

Keef, I don't see the post of your fighter build. I need more pictures and info to waste time.

Leaning toward the delkevic high mount right now. I've about decided I would prefer the high mount over sound. If I can get both all the better

Thanks everyone

Hello everyone New to the forum & need a little help / adviceI have a 95 with a micron pipe. Sounds awesome! I also have a 99 with a jardine rt-1. I hate it!!! Sounds stock! Micron is out of business & as far as I can tell never made a pipe for the 5th gen. Question is does anyone know what else I could use that would sound similar on the 99. I have listened to everything I could find on you tube & best I can tell the 2 brothers & the delkevic are the closest to the micronAny ideas,experience, or suggestions??

Yes Micron did make a pipe for the 5th gen. I had a highmount carbon on mine when I bought it.

And my friend had a low mount.

• Member Contributer

I have a high mount micron on mine and both the look and sound are fantastic!

Sent from taptalk with spell check and political correctness disabled

Archived