My New Voltmeter Install.

coderighter

• Member Contributer

I just thought I'd share my voltmeter install, as I don't think I've seen another like it. The bottom bracket is slotted so that I can slide it out of the way once the bolts are loose, making the bolts easier to remove.

VM1

VM2

VM3

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Actually, I was more proud of the mount but here's the meter.

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&pa=2095040&productId=2095040&CID=octopart

I just really wanted a LCD to match the bike's gauges

• Member Contributer

I agree. It looks sharp. Can't wait to get two. Just avoided a breakdown thanks to the Honda Optimate 3+ solid state battery chargers I use to tend both bikes. It took abnormally long to come up to charge after a ride, alerting me that I had a charging problem. R/R was bad on '86. This happened this spring. Been looking for a voltmeter ever since. Thanks !

• Member Contributer

I have this meter also and mounted it on the grey plastic on the right side. The meter, as it comes, is not waterproofed. You can take some silicon sealant or better yet, Household Goop and seal around any seam that is exposed. Then I took some clear plastic tape and put it over the display to waterproof that.

Do not just mount the meter without doing at least what I suggested above or it will fail.

• Member Contributer

Actually, I was more proud of the mount but here's the meter.

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&pa=2095040&productId=2095040&CID=octopart

I just really wanted a LCD to match the bike's gauges

Nice mount. Did you connect directly to the battery or tap into a switched wire? If the latter, which one? Thanks.

• Member Contributer

They say it's 'Splash proof'. Mine came with a rubber gasket for the back, so I don't think that will be a problem. I only ride for fun, so I avoid the rain, but I guess if needed, I could clear coat the whole thing.

It's very easy to see during the day, but there's no back light for night. However, around town, street lights are enough to see it.

I have a female RCA jacket in place of one of the inner push clips that I have hooked to the battery which I use for charger or aux. I was in a hurry to take a ride, so for now I have the meter plugged into the RCA. In future I'll put it on the battery directly.

• Member Contributer

I have a Datel meter, but it's not installed because I'm clueless.

I installed mine into a small hobby box and carry it in the map window of my tank bag so that takes care of the waterproof issue. It's a non-permanent installation as it connects with an SAE (trailer) plug.

But back to the original topic, very nice install by the OP.

• Member Contributer

Spiffy mounting. I did something similar, but with velcro and off to one side, so that I could see it past my tankbag.

• Member Contributer

I have the LED one from ADV. The LED unit is cockeyed in the casing so when I look down at it (when I can see it in the sunlight) it's crooked. Oh well, at least I know my operating voltage, or an approximation thereof.