Trackbike Build - From Scratch

MVinOZ

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice work Mick! I'll have to drop by and have a perve at your bike's sexy arse one day! ;)

Also good to see you're taking safety seriously by wearing your safety thongs (flip flops for the non-Aussies - I'm not talking about underwear...) :goofy:

I have a digital angle finder, made by Wixey. Can be zeroed on a surface then moved to the area to be measured so you don't have to worry about getting a level surface.

That sounds like a nice bit of kit! I'm not too worried about the measurements, more curious.

Nice work Mick! I'll have to drop by and have a perve at your bike's sexy arse one day! ;)

Also good to see you're taking safety seriously by wearing your safety thongs (flip flops for the non-Aussies - I'm not talking about underwear...) :goofy:

Yeah mate, safety first! Definitely, we'll organise that soon.

My rearsets arrived from Danmoto, pretty happy with them overall, 3 days to get here from Honkers

Fit is good, finish leaves a little to be desired, powder coat is missing in a couple of spots. I'll send them an email & see what they say... Maybe they'll give me a discount off the exhaust I still need to buy :goofy:

iPhone photos 165.jpg

iPhone photos 166.jpgiPhone photos 167.jpgiPhone photos 168.jpg

They could be made to work with a spacer for the top bolt, but I think I'll get some plates made top move them up a little as well. Not sure on angles though, on the F4i they are angled back slightly, pretty close to what's in the pic, which might actually work better.

iPhone photos 171.jpg

The gear side is pretty good, but I might need a slightly longer shift rod, not sure yet.

I found a cheap oil cooler from a 750 that bolts up, not very happy with the condition, it was advertised as being in great condition, I should have known something was up when he left me feedback saying I was the greatest eBay buyer ever :huh:

iPhone photos 169.jpg

But for under $50 it'll do for now, good enough to start the bike which I can now do!

Well, not 'now'...after I work out all the plumbing, fill it with oil & coolant & then work out the wiring for the ECU & the rest of the engine.

But it's close! :comp13:

Those pegs look like they are 3-3.5" rearward and 1" lower than the stock pegs. Was that your intention?

How do you plan to fit the exhaust around them?

I'd be tempted to replace the Danmoto adapter with a flat bar to span the original mount holes, and bolting the rearset to that. You can drill the peg mount holes at an angle to shift the peg up.

I just don't see that setup you have now being comfortable or working as intended unless your goal was to move the peg position back and down?

I'll send you my 5th gen oil cooler for postage if you want it. It's in better condition than that 750 one.

I would do the same, though shipping to Oz would kill the deal for ya. May as well get one that's almost local to you.

I'll send you my 5th gen oil cooler for postage if you want it. It's in better condition than that 750 one.

Thanks Keef, that's a very generous offer! I'll see how I go with this one, the plan was to replace it with the right one at some stage... I"ll let you know if I need it.

Those pegs look like they are 3-3.5" rearward and 1" lower than the stock pegs. Was that your intention?

How do you plan to fit the exhaust around them?

I'd be tempted to replace the Danmoto adapter with a flat bar to span the original mount holes, and bolting the rearset to that. You can drill the peg mount holes at an angle to shift the peg up.

I just don't see that setup you have now being comfortable or working as intended unless your goal was to move the peg position back and down?

'intentions', 'planning', you make it sound like I've thought this through! :goofy:

The 'plan' was to get an adapter plate made that shifts the whole assembly up & back slightly, while keeping the F4i 'angle'. I'm not sure how it will relate to stock, because I don't have the standard pegs for reference... Replacing the Danmoto adapter plate has crossed my mind, still not sure which way to go yet.

Exhaust, not sure, but I'll be using a 5th gen exhaust, so I assume there will be some messing around. It should go back & out off the headers instead of back & up like on the 6th gen.

Is it possible for someone to measure roughly from the rearset mounting holes to the front of the footpeg for me? That would give me an idea of stock peg position to work from.

If you leave the pegs as they are now, you'll have to run the midpipe pretty low to clear it.

I just remembered I have F4i and 4th gen rearsets... I suppose I can run out in the cold and get you a pic.

If you leave the pegs as they are now, you'll have to run the midpipe pretty low to clear it.

I just remembered I have F4i and 4th gen rearsets... I suppose I can run out in the cold and get you a pic.

Don't go to too much trouble, the peg to bolt measurements should suffice, then I can mock up a template for where the stock pegs should be & work from there. With the exhaust, well, I 'll just have to cross that bridge when I come to it!

This help at all?

AA94C7D9-2475-40BD-A2C1-E8D8A2EC4838-209

6E52DF95-2E26-4FCD-9F4D-0C9C125E3B6F-209

Sorry, forgot to measure. Too cold out there I am in my pjs already!

Yes, that's very helpful, thanks!

Assuming the 4th gen is the same/similar to the 6th gen. Looks to be roughly 50mm back at a guess.

Hope you're back in the warmth now, no worries here, 24 degrees C today.

Looks to me like you need to flip the mounting plates - swap left to right and right to left. That way the bunch of holes that the rearsets bolt to will be that much higher. I'd also bolt the mounting plate at the top frame mount, and put the extension bracket on the bottom mount, like BR did:

post-301-0-19764200-1385005014.jpg

Looks to me like you need to flip the mounting plates - swap left to right and right to left. That way the bunch of holes that the rearsets bolt to will be that much higher. I'd also bolt the mounting plate at the top frame mount, and put the extension bracket on the bottom mount, like BR did:

post-301-0-19764200-1385005014.jpg

I thought about that Phantom, the only downside is the F4i is rotated back around 15 degrees, that would put it around 30 degrees out of whack compared to stock, I'm not sure there's enough adjustability in the levers to account for that...

Edit: whoops, missed the bit about swapping the plates over, hadn't thought of that, it's worth a try.

Ok, swapped the mounting plates over & came up with this:

iPhone photos 186.jpg

Which looks to keep the peg/lever geometry pretty good. I could work with that, but I think I'll get some plates made up to move up up & back. Using that poisition (ie top, centre), I bolted the correct plate on top of that & I'll use that to get my measurements for the adaptor plate

iPhone photos 188.jpg

So the position is now the lowest/most forward position, I'm guessing it would be roughly in line to the stock pegs vertically & maybe 50/60mm back.

Any chance of a rough mounting hole to peg measurement of the stock pegs for me anybody? I'd really appreciate it!

Looking at the carbon heat shield... Shouldn't it be between the rear master cylinder and the exhaust? Or is it just to protect the master cylinder from your boot?

PS: a quick thread-jack... I added this to my forks today:

post-28511-1392806777869.jpg

:-)

Looking at the carbon heat shield... Shouldn't it be between the rear master cylinder and the exhaust? Or is it just to protect the master cylinder from your boot?

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1392806737.498374.jpg

Good stuff Danny, how's she ride now?

No idea on the heat shield, you may be right but I haven't assembed it properly yet.

Which reminds me, I need to send of the details for the rearset plates.

Oh, & if anyone has any 6th gen radiator hoses they want to get rid of let me know, apparently I don't have any!

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1392806737.498374.jpg

Good stuff Danny, how's she ride now?

About the same as before... Or harder in rebound... Or softer in rebound... Depends where I point the little screw doover... :goofy:

• 1 month later...

It's been a while & progress has been slow - work is flat out plus I'm going on holidays next Thursday, so that's been taking up all my time. I think I'm officially behind schedule now, I wanted to have the engine running before I went on holidays, but oh well.

It's not all bad though, got a complete set of radiator hoses for $80 from the wreckers

119_4434.JPG

& it was a nice sunny day the other week, so I dragged the VFR out into the sunshine for some love.

119_4435.JPG

So now we have coolant:

119_4443.JPG

& oil.

119_4445.JPG

I turned the engine over a few times via the crank & then the oil looked like this:

119_4459.JPG

I'm hoping it's just moly assembly grease I used for the cams, but I'll run an engine flush through it when I get it started.

Bars are next. I have no idea what switchgear this was drilled for, but not even close.

119_4446.JPG

About 42mm out IIRC.

119_4447.JPG

Much better, now the Brembo MC has somewhere to mount, that'll probably help when I need to stop :goofy:

119_4448.JPG

I picked up a China special Radial clutch MC on eBay, $30 shipped, quality is about what I expected, ie not great! Still, I'll see how it works.

119_4449.JPG

There's a great deal of vertical play in the lever, but if it works ok I can shim that up.

119_4454.JPG

Picked up what I hoped was the right seat on you know where for $10.

119_4437.JPG

Propped the subframe up the roughly where it should sit

119_4462.JPG

Seat is right, but it'll need some work to mate up to the VFR tank

119_4464.JPG

Very different profiles, but nothing we can't fix

119_4465.JPG

119_4466.JPG119_4473.JPG

119_4471.JPG

119_4472.JPG

119_4474.JPG

119_4475.JPG

So now I have to become very good friends with this:

119_4455.JPG

Luckily for me Kaldek included a big full colour print out :biggrin: Still not looking forward to it though...

That'll have to wait until I get back from holidays, next stop CSS @ Laguna Seca! :goofy:

Well, not the next stop, first LA, then Vegas, then San Fran, but basically the next stop. Can't wait, I hope that S1000RR doesn't ruin all other motorcycles for me.

I've ordered some custom rear set plates from Projection Components in the UK, hopefully they'll be waiting for me when I get back.

Archived