Cop For 5Th Gen Engine

CornerCarver

• Member Contributer

that blog is a good read but that guy sounds A LOT smarter than me and he has a year and only gotten the thing to red RPM and fire the ignition....

I may try anyway :tour:

• Member Contributer

He did get it running fine in the end. There were two pages..

Besides, you only need to worry about getting things hooked up properly, whereas he had to mix and match parts, and made many simple mistakes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

1500 mile check-in on my 2008 CBR1000 COPs... 1500 glorious, high rpm, corner carving, blissful miles... not a hiccup!

:wheel::biggrin:

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

ok, we have the 5thG engine in 6th G frame running. Everything except the engine is 6th G.

We think we may have a solution to the COP height. Will let you know when we return from autozone....

• Member Contributer

search at the auto parts store for a 3 wire Denso coil on plug that is the same height as the 5th G plug wire came up short (lol) and long - even if not as long as the 6G COP.

I think we are going to go with a 2009 Honda Odyssey COP and add an extra gasket to reduce the insertion length. This coil is about 3 mm too long to be perfect.

We also found a Civic COP that was about 3mm too short but also found that Honda had changed the plug style of the 3 wires on this coil.

May try to search some Toyota products as they use Denso coils as well.

You know the rule about no pics = ?????

Yes...we will post the next run, perhaps a video since Rice had gutted the 6G exhaust before we bought the box of bike parts from him....sounds really good, not as annoying as I thought it would.

• Member Contributer

It looks like a bad engine or valve.

all of the smoke is actually due to MiniCarver (being the brokeazz student that he is) grabbing a 5 gal petrol can in the garage that had diesel fuel in it for the parts washer...hahahahahaha

he only put about 1/2 gallon and we added real gas to it but it will burn off soon.

@Kaldek, the info definitely helped and now we will probably ad the PCIII from my 01 5th G and see if we can get a decent result, then scrap it all and go with megasquirt and build a custom map for ignition and fuel.

• Member Contributer

Looks like that project is coming along great. I am really interested in seeing the build thread. Might be a retirement project for me. I so miss the sound of gdc's.

Sent from my crazy hand held thingy using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

...With the large difference in injectors between 5th G and 6th G it seems (without any objective test data) to be a coin toss as to which ECU will better control the fuel map in base form.

From the sounds of this... and please correct me if I'm reading incorrectly between the lines, are you going to be using 6th gen injectors on the 5th gen engine? I've often wondered about this with the 6th gen multi-orificed injectors getting better atomization if a swap is worth it...
You need to swap the entire throttle body assembly then. The 6th gen fuel injectors won't fit in the 5th gen fuel rack. Way different size/length.

Rangerscott69 has done this. It works fine. You can use the 5th gen ECU.

Does the 5th gen air box fit on the 6th gen throttle bodies or do you need to use the 6th gen air box?

If Rangerscott69 is listening... how did this mod turn out? Performance, ride-ability, mileage, power... any comments? Worth the swap or just neat to do?

...ooops, sorry for the threadjacking :blush:

Been fine. Not really worth it to do the swap. I just did it it, just to see if it could be done.

I wanna say Im using the 6th gen airbox because there is a difference but Ill have to pop the tank. Havent farted with it in a good while. Waiting on slave cylinder rebuild parts.

I do have a problem with warm up idle. From 140f to 170 the idle wants to dip down and stay at 1000rpm. Once it passes 170, she idles normal. I just havent taken the time to checkil it out.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Just checked and Im using the 6th gen airbox. The tops of the throttlebodies are different. There is no mount for the two coils so I drilled holes, used zip ties, and used sealant around the holes. If you use COP's than no worries there.

There is also an extra 1/2" port on the left that I plugged with sealant.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Just did my CBR1000RR COP swap to my 99 5th Gen. Soooo easy and sooooo satisfying to get rid of the mess. All wire colors even match up, not important, but nice. Just need 4 appropriate o rings to make up for a little room at the coils. Excellent way to spend a couple hours with nice results. I won't be running it till other work is sorted.