Cop For 5Th Gen Engine

CornerCarver

• Member Contributer

Searched and now can't find the two old threads for the COP swap (4th gen and 5th gen IIRC).

Our question is this, does anyone know of a 3 wire COP that is shorter than the 6th gen COP and therefore more likely to have a better fit in the 5th gen head?

We are really far along in our 5th gen engine in a 6th gen frame and have tried to utilize the 5th gen coils to no avail.

We will need a 3 wire Coil on Plug that fits better into the 5th gen heads.

thanks in advance,

Keith

• Member Contributer

I will be selling a low miles 6th gen engine soon for the cost of a stator cover...that may result in Timmy the COP have access to free adult beverage, perhaps a red solo cup full of Sangria

• Member Contributer

The 2008 CBR1000 COPs fit perfect in my 5th gen, but that is a 2 wire set-up. If I may ask, why are you going with the 6th gen ECU and the 3 wire ignition output on a 5th gen engine?

• Member Contributer

We are using the 6th G wiring harness because with the 5th G engine in the 6th G frame there is not much room to fit the 5th G reg/rec and when mounting the 6th G reg/rec that leaves no real room for the 5th G coils...kind of one thing lead to another once we mounted the 6th G injection system and frame to the 5th G engine.

You don't recall about how long the CBR 1000 COPs are do you? I think we would be really close if we could find a suitable 3 wire shorter COP.

• Member Contributer

I never measured it on a ruler... here is a comparison to my Y2K plug boot... The rubber boot on the COP fit perfect in the valve cover and sealed it just below the lip.

gallery_19432_6921_59054.jpg

What I started with from a 2008 CBR1000...

gallery_19432_6921_14255.jpg

Here they are installed...gallery_19432_6921_109301.jpg

• Member Contributer

Making the wiring connector from the CBR harness. Waterproof crimp male spade connectors, white lithium grease to seal out moisture, and liquid tape sucked into the back of the connector to provide the final seal. I matched the wire colors from the CBR harness and connectors to the install on the stock VFR wiring... I know, a little anal, but while I was making it I figured what the hell...

gallery_19432_6921_164397.jpg

... attached to the stock wiring so it is completely reversible...

gallery_19432_6921_236001.jpg

Installed and wired...

gallery_19432_6921_181545.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

So... wouldn't 6th gen ECU mean VTEC mapping for an engine with no VTEC hardware...???

Yup... that could be an issue

• Member Contributer

Actually the only thing the ECU does specifically for Vtec is open and close a solenoid on the oil circuit deep in the V.

Of course, any changes to the fuel map can be made with one of the myriad aftermarket controllers. With the large difference in injectors between 5th G and 6th G it seems (without any objective test data) to be a coin toss as to which ECU will better control the fuel map in base form.

• Member Contributer

...With the large difference in injectors between 5th G and 6th G it seems (without any objective test data) to be a coin toss as to which ECU will better control the fuel map in base form.

From the sounds of this... and please correct me if I'm reading incorrectly between the lines, are you going to be using 6th gen injectors on the 5th gen engine? I've often wondered about this with the 6th gen multi-orificed injectors getting better atomization if a swap is worth it...

...With the large difference in injectors between 5th G and 6th G it seems (without any objective test data) to be a coin toss as to which ECU will better control the fuel map in base form.

From the sounds of this... and please correct me if I'm reading incorrectly between the lines, are you going to be using 6th gen injectors on the 5th gen engine? I've often wondered about this with the 6th gen multi-orificed injectors getting better atomization if a swap is worth it...

You need to swap the entire throttle body assembly then. The 6th gen fuel injectors won't fit in the 5th gen fuel rack. Way different size/length.

Rangerscott69 has done this. It works fine. You can use the 5th gen ECU.

• Member Contributer

Everything on the bike with the exception of the engine is 6th G.

I pressed MiniCarver on switching back to the 5th G harness and ECM (this would end our search for 3 wire coils that are shorter than 6 G) and he doesn't want to go back to the 5th G instruments or lights either...

You need to swap the entire throttle body assembly then. The 6th gen fuel injectors won't fit in the 5th gen fuel rack. Way different size/length.

Have the entire 6G throttle bodies mounted and fueling (no spark or we would be running right now)...was not aware that we could fire the 6G TB's with the %g ECM though, that is good news.

Perhaps we will switch back to the 5G harness and try to re-wire the front harness to accept the 6G instrumentation, lights etc...

• Member Contributer

Does the 5th gen air box fit on the 6th gen throttle bodies or do you need to use the 6th gen air box?

If Rangerscott69 is listening... how did this mod turn out? Performance, ride-ability, mileage, power... any comments? Worth the swap or just neat to do?

...ooops, sorry for the threadjacking :blush:

• Member Contributer

The airbox (and filters) interchange but there are small profile differences in the airbox lower that made us select that unit.

IIRC there is something different in the rear where the 5G coil mounts and something on the right side front where the vacuum lines connect.

• Member Contributer

From the peanut gallery: sounds like another can of worms. (We REALLY need an emoticon for that. ed) You doods should be out riding! Which I will be as soon as I sign off.

:lurk:

Edited by MaxSwell

• Member Contributer

Anybody know if this can control the ignition as well as the fuel?

http://www.useasydocs.com/index.html

This is specifically what I am trying to understand...

http://microsquirt.info/indexright.htm

Bullet points 1 and 2 in the bottom link above.