'85 Vf1000R For Sale In My Town

tomk1960

• Member Contributer

http://worcester.craigslist.org/mcy/4027842784.html

If anyone is really interested in this bike, I could go look at it and get more pics since I live in Worcester. These don't pop up for sale here very often. It looks to be in nice condition, but are the miles considered high?

• Member Contributer

I wish i had 3 grand burning a hole in my pocket... i'd be all over it!

• Member Contributer

Even though it seems to be in good shape from the pics the price is high for the mileage in my opinion.

Rollin

• Member Contributer

Hey Tom - Wout has one (maybe more) of these. He would know about mileage.

Looks awesome in the pics.

---David

• Member Contributer

Hey Tom - Wout has one (maybe more) of these. He would know about mileage.

Looks awesome in the pics.

---David

Hey David,

I'll post the ad on the CB1100F site in case anyone is looking. Are you sure Wout has a VFR? I know he has a pristine CB1100R although it wouldn't surprise me if he has a VFR as well.

Tom

• Member Contributer

I don't think the mileage is that high considering it's 28 years old. It all depends upon how well it was maintained or if it was abused, but it sure looks like was taken care of. Mine was a $600 basket case with 32K miles, and compression was perfect and it runs great!

If you can afford it I say welcome!

• Member Contributer

I plan to look at this for a friend this weekend. Besides the obvious bodywork differences, what stands out with the R over the F? I know that the cams are gear driven and that the handlebars are positioned more like modern sport bikes. Were these bikes prone to the top end oiling issues? I assume that the R has a bit more horsepower and is therefore faster.

• Member Contributer

No luck reaching the seller yet since he hasn't responded to two separate emails. The bike may already be sold, but since the ad is still up, it would be nice to hear from him either way. Maybe tomorrow...

• Member Contributer

I plan to look at this for a friend this weekend. Besides the obvious bodywork differences, what stands out with the R over the F? I know that the cams are gear driven and that the handlebars are positioned more like modern sport bikes. Were these bikes prone to the top end oiling issues? I assume that the R has a bit more horsepower and is therefore faster.

Gear driven cams, coolant system a little different. The R is heavier, factory hp is only 5hp+ or so different, so probably the same speeds considering the weight differential. Same top end oiling issues if you believe the interwebs.

• Member Contributer

Today I spoke to the seller and got over there to see it. It turns out he's a great guy and is related to an old high school friend of mine. The bike is in overall decent shape, although it isn't a show bike by any means. There are some blemishes in the paint here and there, and the right side cover has a crack in it. He's owned it since 2010 and kept good records for all the work he did to it, including rebuilding the master cylinders, replacing battery, brake pads, coolant, etc. He flushed and replenished the hydraulic fluids, replaced the water pump and sensor for the cooling fan, replaced tires when he bought the bike, and so on. Some spare parts come with the bike and they include the OEM mirrors which were in decent shape.

Here's a 1 minute video I shot of it starting and running. It's definitely louder than my Interceptor:

th_video-2013-08-31-14-16-09_zps1c59f909

It started instantly and idled nicely. I didn't take it for a ride, but based on the way he took care of it and kept records, I bet that it runs great on the road.

To see a bunch of photos that I took of the bike, go here: http://s745.photobucket.com/user/tomk1960/slideshow/VF1000R

If you're looking for a minty bike, be prepared to pay more than his asking proce. This one is right in line for the asking price, and you can ride and enjoy it as is.

If anyone wants to talk to him about the bike, call Bruce at 508-873-3428.

Archived